Sox Looking for CFers

GGajewski18

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jul 14, 2016 -> 06:04 PM)
But Morneau had success before going to Colorado.

Yes, obviously. In his prime, he was one of the 5-10 most dangerous hitters in the AL.

You have to look at his career in the frame of pre and post-concussion syndrome.

I'm not 100% sure we can easily divide his AL/NL success over the last five years into simply being a product of Colorado...as I'm not a trained physical therapist, but I guess we'll find out.

If he's not ready, you can point to advanced age/accumulation of injuries AND the fact that Stephen Drew and Kendrys Morales (who just ONE year later would go on to win the Silver Slugger as a DH but struggled MIGHTILY in Minny and SEA in 2014) were shadows of their former selves after such long layoffs.

Both Drew/Morales are/were younger and had more playing time in the preceding year (2013) compared to Morneau in 2015.

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And the whole flipside to Blackmon for Fulmer is that the BEST option for CF next year is going to be overpaying for Carlos Gomez or Colby Rasmus on the FA market.

So I'm honestly not sure which is worse...and nobody can predict pitching injuries, but we CAN look at how many teams used XXX number of starters in a single season (like the Dodgers or Mets, etc.)

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 14, 2016 -> 09:55 AM)
Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 9m9 minutes ago

Sources: #WhiteSox, unsure of Austin Jackson's prognosis, are checking into possible trades for CFer. Jackson had knee surgery on June 10.

Josh Nelson ‏@SSS_joshnelson 5m5 minutes ago Chicago, IL

I wonder if Charlie Blackmon would be a possible CF target for the White Sox?

Seemed pretty logical since even I suggested Peralta from the D'Backs but they've traded away Eaton and Inciarte and have like 4 OF on the DL with Peralta due back soon .

If the Sox are looking for a stopgap CF until Jackson returns they could try Delino DeShields Jr. since he is back in the minors with Desmond now in CF. Of course a long time ago I suggested Jackie Bradley, Jr. when .he wasn't hitting and he became an All-Star.

I don't believe in DeShields like I believed in Bradley but I'm pretty sure he is a good fielder and will be 24 in August . And just like Bradley his bat right now is the problem and he most likely will never hit above 10 HR's, if even that.

If you just like Jr.'s in CF ( Bradley Jr. , Griffey Jr. ) He's can't miss. :P

The good thing is if the Sox get any OF that means Avi probably gets sent down so hope for someone better than DeShields.

Fulmer for Blackmon is a no brainer at this point IMO. Blackmon's D and SB's will translate no matter which division or league he is in. I feel his batting average will also stay roughly the same. The only question would be about his power numbers and I think that's worth the risk.

I would prefer the Sox try and build a package around Adams, but if the FO is really wanting to go for it this year then we have to land at least one of Blackmon/CarGo/Bruce/Hamilton. The positive to all of those is that they are all controlled through at least next year as well.

MAKE IT HAPPEN SOX!!!

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 14, 2016 -> 08:55 PM)
Is Blackmon's defense even that good? I could be looking at the wrong metrics, but he looks pretty average

No idea what the metrics are, but just from watching some games this year I'd say he is much better then Jackson and Eaton.

The Sox have no pitching depth in the upper minors, despite all of these plaudits about their expertise in developing pitchers. No one in AAA; no one close in AA except for Fulmer.

This team has 2 guys in the rotation who are 5th starters WHEN they pitch well (which is not all of the time). Rodon is pitching like a #5 lately. Can't trade pitching.

Baseball is a young man's game. Trades for Blackmond have some logic behind them. Trades for Cargo are obsolete.

The biggest need is a DH. So far, Shuck has actually handled CF and he's hitting a lot better. Avi, not so much. We'll see about Morneau for DH.

Don't see the need for urgency or impatience, especially since playoff chances are small with or without some addition. Also, it may be that Morneau is worse than Shuck, in which case Hahn would have traded for the wrong position.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 14, 2016 -> 09:01 PM)
The Sox have no pitching depth in the upper minors, despite all of these plaudits about their expertise in developing pitchers. No one in AAA; no one close in AA except for Fulmer.

This team has 2 guys in the rotation who are 5th starters WHEN they pitch well (which is not all of the time). Rodon is pitching like a #5 lately. Can't trade pitching.

Baseball is a young man's game. Trades for Blackmond have some logic behind them. Trades for Cargo are obsolete.

The biggest need is a DH. So far, Shuck has actually handled CF and he's hitting a lot better. Avi, not so much. We'll see about Morneau for DH.

Don't see the need for urgency or impatience, especially since playoff chances are small with or without some addition. Also, it may be that Morneau is worse than Shuck, in which case Hahn would have traded for the wrong position.

The Sox have nothing in the minors... until they trade someone in the minors for someone else.

QUOTE (Condor13 @ Jul 14, 2016 -> 09:19 PM)
No idea what the metrics are, but just from watching some games this year I'd say he is much better then Jackson and Eaton.

I saw a Colorado writer write recently he is considered an average CF. He also wrote he is their best trade chip and should bring back a "haul"

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 14, 2016 -> 09:59 PM)
If the Pomeranz trade is any indication of where the trade market is at, I am good with standing pat.

That's for starters...is this really any surprise?

I really hate when people say that crap every single year. " If this is how the trade market is...". Well guess what? Demand is high and supply is low on starting pitching. The Miller trade for example should be a good indicator. You gotta trade prospects to get good players. Breaking news.

Edited by Baron

And there we are...where essentially standing pat is losing ground.

Because we don't have the farm systems or financial resources of the Red Sox, Blue Jays, Astros, Mariners, Yankees or even the Tigers/Royals if we want to include them as well. Cleveland has the best rotation in baseball and one of the best minor league system and there crowds of 30,000+ now are going to give them some extra money to play around with at the margins (not to mention the pressure to follow up on the Cavs' success).

If the goal is to field a "pretty competitive club" EVERY year, but we don't have the pieces or money to make any significant moves at the All-Star break because we're outgunned every time, how is that going to work as a successful strategy, exactly?

We need Fulmer for the future...sure, and Burdi might be part of this year's team this season, but we keep on "deferring the dream" (quoting MLK) and eventually it will just disappear into the ether like it never existed at all.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 14, 2016 -> 10:30 PM)
And there we are...where essentially standing pat is losing ground.

Because we don't have the farm systems or financial resources of the Red Sox, Blue Jays, Astros, Mariners, Yankees or even the Tigers/Royals if we want to include them as well. Cleveland has the best rotation in baseball and one of the best minor league system and there crowds of 30,000+ now are going to give them some extra money to play around with at the margins (not to mention the pressure to follow up on the Cavs' success).

If the goal is to field a "pretty competitive club" EVERY year, but we don't have the pieces or money to make any significant moves at the All-Star break because we're outgunned every time, how is that going to work as a successful strategy, exactly?

We need Fulmer for the future...sure, and Burdi might be part of this year's team this season, but we keep on "deferring the dream" (quoting MLK) and eventually it will just disappear into the ether like it never existed at all.

Standing pat is just a gutless move. Pick a direction and roll with it. We're wasting the careers of our core. This team is f***ed at the deadline because Hahn can't fill in the pieces around this core and has to trade assets each offseason just to make this team halfway competitive; this leaves us without the necessary assets to go get pieces we need at the deadline the past couple seasons.

Edited by SouthSideSale

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jul 14, 2016 -> 10:58 PM)
Standing pat is just a gutless move. Pick a direction and roll with it. We're wasting the careers of our core. This team is f***ed at the deadline because Hahn can't fill in the pieces around this core and has to trade assets each offseason just to make this team halfway competitive; this leaves us without the necessary assets to go get pieces we need at the deadline the past couple seasons.

Just look how the Angels are wasting Trout. Their future looks terrible.

QUOTE (Baron @ Jul 14, 2016 -> 10:27 PM)
That's for starters...is this really any surprise?

I really hate when people say that crap every single year. " If this is how the trade market is...". Well guess what? Demand is high and supply is low on starting pitching. The Miller trade for example should be a good indicator. You gotta trade prospects to get good players. Breaking news.

What does the supply of starting CF's look like? Exactly.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 14, 2016 -> 11:38 PM)
What does the supply of starting CF's look like? Exactly.

The values of each are not equal. To get a cost controlled starter(even one with huge question marks like the Sox just got) is going to cost more than an OFer. Plus the names that we are talking about in here besides Blackmon are not going to command that type of package.

Edited by Baron

And the Angels are consistently a Top 4-6 payroll team...obviously all the money to Josh Hamilton and Pujols was a mistake, not to mention CJ Wilson, a declining Jered Weaver, they've got ticking time bombs all over that roster.

They're a bit reminiscent of the Tigers and Yankees...although DET at least has youngish/close to their prime guys in Castellanos, Iglesias, Moya, Upton and JD Martinez, not to mention a Rookie of the Year candidate in Michael Fulmer, as well as Daniel Norris and Boyd from trades last midseason. They could also trade Victor Martinez, Francisco Rodriguez and Kinsler and get back from real nice pieces should they choose to do so.

What trade chips do the Angels have outside of Calhoun and Andrelton Simmons?

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jul 15, 2016 -> 07:25 AM)
I'm ready to give the journeyman Minor Leaguer, Jason Burgeois a shot. I know that he's 34, but he's always been a capable hitter, and is having a career year.

A shot at what? A bench spot?

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jul 15, 2016 -> 07:25 AM)
I'm ready to give the journeyman Minor Leaguer, Jason Burgeois a shot. I know that he's 34, but he's always been a capable hitter, and is having a career year.

He has? In over 700 major league plate appearances, he has an OPS of .626 and a wRC+ of 76. That doesn't scream "capable" hitter to me.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 14, 2016 -> 09:59 PM)
If the Pomeranz trade is any indication of where the trade market is at, I am good with standing pat.

That's where the starting pitching market is, but everyone knew that. In fact, that trade makes me think the White Sox could get Lucroy with a package that includes Fulmer.

But Fulmer and what else?

For 1 1/2 seasons? Well, that part make sense...having control through 2017.

But I'm pretty sure 3-4 other teams could beat Fulmer and Adams, if they actually chose to make him (Lucroy) available...in a further irony, one of the reasons they might not need Fulmer/Adams is because of what they're getting out of Junior Guerra on the cheap.

Otoh, if they do end up trading Garza and Nelson, they'll need some pitching prospects who could step in. Just not sure how much Adams' stock has fallen so far this year.

Or they could try to leverage Guerra (just like the Padres did with Pomeranz, although Drew had more of a pedigree in terms of his draft position, but spotty career up until pitching in the friendlier NL West)...into a couple of young prospects as well, selling high on him.