White Sox Listening on Sale

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 12:22 PM)
You are hilarious. Already defending the front office for what they may or may not do.

Of course the message he was responding to was one that was blaming the front office without any actual knowledge of what was going on, so that seems appropriate.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am to the point in this saga where if he stays, I am happy, and if he goes, I'll also be happy because it should be for a unheard return. It is pretty clear from all the rumors that Hahn is asking for a monster return and not budging, rightfully so.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 02:04 PM)
Betts >> Bradley and has more value than Sale by himself, so not sure why Bradley is the untouchable one and Betts isn't.

Bradley>>> Betts. Bradley higher in OPS-SLUG-OBP and Bradley already may be the best defensive CF in all of baseball. He pushed Betts to RF

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 11:26 AM)
I mean he's not some rookie. He now has over 1300 PA of 5 WAR caliber play. He's dirt cheap and he has an extra year of control versus Sale. Over the last season and a half he's been worth 9 WAR. He's really freaking good and he's still just 23.

Fair enough. I didn't realize he had a track record that lengthy.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 12:29 PM)
Of course the message he was responding to was one that was blaming the front office without any actual knowledge of what was going on, so that seems appropriate.

Meanwhile, the poster wasn't blaming the front office for anything in that particular post, but rather sharing his opinion about what he thought would be management's upcoming course of action given their current situation. So that is what seems appropriate, given what a message board is presumably designed to allow someone to do - sharing opinions.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 01:29 PM)

I wasn't blaming anyone for anything. It's a waste of time responding to you. Even if I preclude my response by stating I'm not looking to be confrontational, you still feel the need to defend the organization to the death, then come after me. It's almost surreal

Anyway, one more time. Then that's it

No I don't know for sure what's going on. I don't claim to. I've had minor dealings with JR via charities, spoken to Kenny Williams at SoxFest, and have seen him around town here and there. I was friendly with a sportswriter who's since passed. Also, I have followed this organization for 35 yrs.

Those are my credentials for your review, sir

The decisions that are made that have to do with the future of the Sox, involve one individual who a) has a ticket for lifetime devotion and loyalty from the Chairman b) has a tremendous ego. c) won the lotto as the GM in 2005. d) practically drove the franchise into the dark ages, then gets promoted

I've got a problem with that. You or others may not. Whatever

Bottom line, that's my take on it, and I don't really give a damn whether you agree or not.

Edited by captain54

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 01:04 PM)
Betts >> Bradley and has more value than Sale by himself, so not sure why Bradley is the untouchable one and Betts isn't.

I agree.

I would think that they're both untouchable.

Take the top prospects, Hahn No more clowning.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 11:58 AM)
Of course they are going to do it their way. Do you do everything everyone else's way?

Yes of course. However when "our way" isn't working, most might consider a major overhaul of "our way"

Edited by captain54

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 02:29 PM)
Meanwhile, the poster wasn't blaming the front office for anything in that particular post, but rather sharing his opinion about what he thought would be management's upcoming course of action given their current situation. So that is what seems appropriate, given what a message board is presumably designed to allow someone to do - sharing opinions.

Then anyone who, if Sale and Quintana are still White Sox after the deadline, who are going to be upset about it, shouldn't use the "well then you can't have Chris Sale" line. You should subscribe to the "they must be traded, just get what you can" team.

It's funny someone would say I am defending the front office. I don't like KW, haven't for years, even when he was popular. I've questioned Hahn as much as anyone, and all the way down.

What the Yankees got for Chapman or the Braves got for Miller really doesn't mean any team's offer for Sale is going to be based on that. The fewer the teams that can afford the package to acquire Sale, the less competition, and most likely the less bang for your buck for the seller. Sale can be 10 times the pitcher Shelby Miller is. He won't get you 10 times the package Atlanta got for him.

I used a house as an example. If you built a $100 million house and in 5 years all the homes in your neighborhood doubled in value, chances are, if you sold, you wouldn't get anything near $200 million. The buyers are too limited. There are only a few teams that could meet what the Sox and the rest of us would want for Chris Sale. That will make it really tough to trade him before you almost have to.

The Sox have a $100 million house they would sell for $150 million. They just need a Saudi prince or someone who has to have Sale no matter the cost.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 02:29 PM)

Which is exactly what I did.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 02:39 PM)
The Sox have a $100 million house they would sell for $150 million. They just need a Saudi prince or someone who has to have Sale no matter the cost.

That's basically it.

So the question is, do they take $100 million on Monday afternoon?

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 12:56 PM)
That's basically it.

No, the question is the Sox have a $100 million house they want $100 million for.

Do they take $65 million for it?

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 02:56 PM)
That's basically it.

I don't think they should, either a team overpays or you keep him. Fair value for Sale is not enough to make it worthwhile. Which is why it's probably not going to happen.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 02:59 PM)
I don't think they should, either a team overpays or you keep him. Fair value for Sale is not enough to make it worthwhile. Which is why it's probably not going to happen.

Especially with prospects. Trading a 5 time All Star in his prime with a contract as team friendly, has to be close to unprecedented.

QUOTE (captain54 @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 02:33 PM)
I wasn't blaming anyone for anything. It's a waste of time responding to you. Even if I preclude my response by stating I'm not looking to be confrontational, you still feel the need to defend the organization to the death, then come after me. It's almost surreal

Anyway, one more time. Then that's it

No I don't know for sure what's going on. I don't claim to. I've had minor dealings with JR via charities, spoken to Kenny Williams at SoxFest, and have seen him around town here and there. I was friendly with a sportswriter who's since passed. Also, I have followed this organization for 35 yrs.

Those are my credentials for your review, sir

The decisions that are made that have to do with the future of the Sox, involve one individual who a) has a ticket for lifetime devotion and loyalty to the Chairman b) has a tremendous ego. c) won the lotto as the GM in 2005. d) practically drove the franchise into the dark ages, then gets promoted

I've got a problem with that. You or others may not. Whatever

Bottom line, that's my take on it, and I don't really give a damn whether you agree or not.

I think it is odd that you have such a large problem with people who don't share your opinion. Even when not in the conversation, you still feel the need to project your anger into someone else's conversation, as you did earlier. We all know you hate the organization and the people who run it. That same theme runs through all of your posts. I, on the other hand, am typically optimistic and derive and refuse to waste time on anger, from the organization, and don't feel the need to turn every conversation into a negative one, especially when it isn't especially relevant, just like the previous post.

I get you feel the need to be angry. We all can see that. It would be nice to have a conversation where that anger wasn't needlessly interjected, again. I mean you can absolutely post your opinion here, but I don't get why you assume a personal insult when someone doesn't agree with you. It is a message board, and not everyone is going to agree with you.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 03:05 PM)
Yes you did, and you misrepresented another poster's opinion in the process, so there's that.

Eh, not so much, but that's OK. It is obvious what picture he was trying to paint there. He was assuming what the team was going to do, and that it was going to be the worst case scenario.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 02:59 PM)

Fair enough.

I would just say that I hope Hahn is giving teams a fair chance to overpay. Insisting on their key major league pieces is not giving the teams a chance to overpay. The overpay will have to come with excess prospects.

The only reason teams would overpay anyway is because they need the player now. When you take away a key piece to their playoff run, that weakens the urgency.