White Sox Listening on Sale

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 02:39 PM)
Then anyone who, if Sale and Quintana are still White Sox after the deadline, who are going to be upset about it, shouldn't use the "well then you can't have Chris Sale" line. You should subscribe to the "they must be traded, just get what you can" team.

It's funny someone would say I am defending the front office. I don't like KW, haven't for years, even when he was popular. I've questioned Hahn as much as anyone, and all the way down.

What the Yankees got for Chapman or the Braves got for Miller really doesn't mean any team's offer for Sale is going to be based on that. The fewer the teams that can afford the package to acquire Sale, the less competition, and most likely the less bang for your buck for the seller. Sale can be 10 times the pitcher Shelby Miller is. He won't get you 10 times the package Atlanta got for him.

I used a house as an example. If you built a $100 million house and in 5 years all the homes in your neighborhood doubled in value, chances are, if you sold, you wouldn't get anything near $200 million. The buyers are too limited. There are only a few teams that could meet what the Sox and the rest of us would want for Chris Sale. That will make it really tough to trade him before you almost have to.

The Sox have a $100 million house they would sell for $150 million. They just need a Saudi prince or someone who has to have Sale no matter the cost.

The Sox don't have a $100 million dollar house.

What the Sox do have is an ace that is available to pitch for a team, and under that teams control for the next 3 1/2 seasons. If a team is pushing to win the World Series (in the next 3 1/2 years) and their major concern is starting pitching, he is the top available person to get. Period. If you want him, you are going to have to pay a hefty price for him.

If the Red Sox aren't willing to part with their top prospects and think they can get to the postseason and win in the postseason with Price, Porcello, Pomeranz, Wright, and Rodriguez as their rotation, good luck. Same with the Dodgers, if they think they can get to October and win in October with Maeda, Kazmir, Norris, McCarthy, and maybe Kershaw have fun trying. Same with Texas.

If nobody wants to step up and pay the price to get Sale or Q, then we can just leave them here on the Southside and open up talks to all teams in the winter. We are in such an advantageous position due to their control it's not funny.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NVM don't bother that is perhaps the worst article I've read on the subject.

They might have to deal Eduardo Rodriguez, but aren't sure, since Erodriguez might be as good as Sale anyway.

QUOTE (Sox Fan In Husker Land @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 03:18 PM)
The Sox don't have a $100 million dollar house.

What the Sox do have is an ace that is available to pitch for a team, and under that teams control for the next 3 1/2 seasons. If a team is pushing to win the World Series (in the next 3 1/2 years) and their major concern is starting pitching, he is the top available person to get. Period. If you want him, you are going to have to pay a hefty price for him.

If the Red Sox aren't willing to part with their top prospects and think they can get to the postseason and win in the postseason with Price, Porcello, Pomeranz, Wright, and Rodriguez as their rotation, good luck. Same with the Dodgers, if they think they can get to October and win in October with Maeda, Kazmir, Norris, McCarthy, and maybe Kershaw have fun trying. Same with Texas.

If nobody wants to step up and pay the price to get Sale or Q, then we can just leave them here on the Southside and open up talks to all teams in the winter. We are in such an advantageous position due to their control it's not funny.

The sox don't have a $100 million dollar house, Dick Allen, they have this valuable pitcher who cannot be turned into a metaphor!

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 03:20 PM)
NVM don't bother that is perhaps the worst article I've read on the subject.

They might have to deal Eduardo Rodriguez, but aren't sure, since Erodriguez might be as good as Sale anyway.

Yeah I don't even know what word to use to describe that article it was so bad.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 03:22 PM)
The sox don't have a $100 million dollar house, Dick Allen, they have this valuable pitcher who cannot be turned into a metaphor!

My apologies, Dick Allen. That was a useful metaphor please continue with it.

Edited by Sox Fan In Husker Land

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 02:39 PM)
Then anyone who, if Sale and Quintana are still White Sox after the deadline, who are going to be upset about it, shouldn't use the "well then you can't have Chris Sale" line. You should subscribe to the "they must be traded, just get what you can" team.

It's funny someone would say I am defending the front office. I don't like KW, haven't for years, even when he was popular. I've questioned Hahn as much as anyone, and all the way down.

What the Yankees got for Chapman or the Braves got for Miller really doesn't mean any team's offer for Sale is going to be based on that. The fewer the teams that can afford the package to acquire Sale, the less competition, and most likely the less bang for your buck for the seller. Sale can be 10 times the pitcher Shelby Miller is. He won't get you 10 times the package Atlanta got for him.

I used a house as an example. If you built a $100 million house and in 5 years all the homes in your neighborhood doubled in value, chances are, if you sold, you wouldn't get anything near $200 million. The buyers are too limited. There are only a few teams that could meet what the Sox and the rest of us would want for Chris Sale. That will make it really tough to trade him before you almost have to.

The Sox have a $100 million house they would sell for $150 million. They just need a Saudi prince or someone who has to have Sale no matter the cost.

As opposed to a house though, this $100M house is going to depreciate to zero in three years.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 03:57 PM)
And Nick Carfardo is actually a respected writer. Smh. How some of these dudes get these jobs is beyond me.

I think his take is a lot more realistic than what has been proposed here.

You are going to have to get at least one pitcher back in a deal, Rodriguez and Owens are the most likely given their talent level and proximity to the majors. Kopech is a big risk given his meth use and off the field antics.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 04:01 PM)

You are going to have to get at least one pitcher back in a deal, Rodriguez and Owens are the most likely given their talent level and proximity to the majors. Kopech is a big risk given his meth use and off the field antics.

Lol, meth? Dude wasn't using meth in the traditional sense.

Realistic to what teams are currently willing to offer? Sure. The Sox are not trading Sale for a package centered around Eduardo friggin' Rodriguez and Henry flippin' Owens. That would be a joke, Hahn should be fired on the spot, and the Sox would literally be f***ed for the next half decade.

If you don't get what you want, you don't trade him. Thats likely where we are right now.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 04:01 PM)

He actually wrote that a package centered around Rodriguez might be too much for Sale, because Rodriguez might end up as good as Sale. That's a realistic take?

Interesting discussion. I just read Join Heyman's article and I am starting to imagine a world where he gone and Sox fans start cutting up Sale jerseys.

Jon Heyman on Yankees interest in Sale

It is a bit crazy to think about but maybe (some of) the Cub prospects that the Yankees got from Epstein come back to the Sox as part of a package.

Edited by miracleon35th

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 04:52 PM)
Interesting discussion. I just read Join Heyman's article and I am starting to imagine a world where he gone and Sox fans start cutting up Sale jerseys.

Jon Heyman on Yankees interest in Sale

It is a bit crazy to think about but maybe all those Cub prospects that the Yankees got from Epstein come back to the Sox as part of a package.

Love Heyman, but : " The name Sale is a misnomer; this certainly is no fire Sale." pppttthhhhpppp

Also!:

As Sox GM Rick Hahn admitted, the White Sox have been “mired in mediocrity” (they are currently as close to .500 as can be at 50-51) and a big deal to shake things up wouldn’t necessarily be such a terrible idea for an organization with three postseason appearances in a century.

Not in A century, in THIS century. Don't make me defend our not great record!

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 04:58 PM)
Also!:

As Sox GM Rick Hahn admitted, the White Sox have been “mired in mediocrity” (they are currently as close to .500 as can be at 50-51) and a big deal to shake things up wouldn’t necessarily be such a terrible idea for an organization with three postseason appearances in a century.

Not in A century, in THIS century. Don't make me defend our not great record!

Yeah get it right! It's 8 appearances in a century!

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 11:59 AM)
I think Hahn will trade to save face. Some possiblities

1. Frazier or Melky not both--get back 2 mid-level prospects

2. Duke-gets a mid-level prospect

3. Miggy and 5th slot is juggled rest of year.-- high mid-level prospect since SP pitching seems a hot commodity.

4. If Robertson does go, I am afraid it will be mostly money and a couple of low prospects.

Those moves don't make the Sox any better and more likely worse.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 05:38 PM)
Well no s***. Anytime you trade for prospects of course your mlb team is going to be worse lol

Well it's more of it looks like trading for the sake of trading.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 04:38 PM)
Well no s***. Anytime you trade for prospects of course your mlb team is going to be worse lol

I was talking about the organization as a whole. Those moves make the current MLB roster worse and do nothing to help them be better in the next few years either. You're not going to rebuild with mid-level prospects, most of which will probably never turn out to be good major leaguers.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 05:47 PM)
I was talking about the organization as a whole. Those moves make the current MLB roster worse and do nothing to help them be better in the next few years either. You're not going to rebuild with mid-level prospects, most of which will probably never turn out to be good major leaguers.

All of those guys are gone next year anyway, might as well grab a few lotto tickets for them.

Those deals without moving EAton, Quintana or Sale, will likely hurt the org; because Hahn will have to chase replacements in the offseason, and judging by his history, pays a little more than 2 "mid level prospects" (usually 4 prospects or 1 isn't mid level).

And if you don't replace them, and feature Turner and Kahnle in the pen, you won't win 75 games anyway, so what's the point in keeping Q Eaton and Sale?

Perhaps if they trade one of Q or Sale they could still regroup for next year (depending upon the prospects they get); but each day further reveals how thin this 25 man, 40 man and org is and probably a teardown is necessary.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 10:21 PM)
Those deals without moving EAton, Quintana or Sale, will likely hurt the org; because Hahn will have to chase replacements in the offseason, and judging by his history, pays a little more than 2 "mid level prospects" (usually 4 prospects or 1 isn't mid level).

And if you don't replace them, and feature Turner and Kahnle in the pen, you won't win 75 games anyway, so what's the point in keeping Q Eaton and Sale?

Perhaps if they trade one of Q or Sale they could still regroup for next year (depending upon the prospects they get); but each day further reveals how thin this 25 man, 40 man and org is and probably a teardown is necessary.

Exactly. They need to trade either Q or Sale (preferably) to improve this ballclub. We can act like they don't, but we also know there are no FA or realistic trade options (with our thin system) to help the 2017 team. It's really frustrating that even when we're intent on selling we still can't have it work in our favor.

Hahn should be trying every damn selling tactic he can to unload some of these players. It's unacceptable otherwise because the entire course of our future depends on it. Standing pat or unloading a player like Robertson for a Hector Molina type wont get it done either

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 11:14 PM)
Exactly. They need to trade either Q or Sale (preferably) to improve this ballclub. We can act like they don't, but we also know there are no FA or realistic trade options (with our thin system) to help the 2017 team. It's really frustrating that even when we're intent on selling we still can't have it work in our favor.

Hahn should be trying every damn selling tactic he can to unload some of these players. It's unacceptable otherwise because the entire course of our future depends on it. Standing pat or unloading a player like Robertson for a Hector Molina type wont get it done either

In all reality we need to blow this team the f*** up. This offense is a complete joke and there is nothing on the horizon to make it much better anytime soon. Between now and this offseason, we need to trade Sale, Quintana, Gonzalez, Shields, Robertson, Duke, Frazier, Lawrie, & Melky. Recoup as many assets as possible. Stockpile draft picks the next two years and hope to be competitive in 2019, when there will be some actual free agents available to plug holes.

To me, there is no other alternative. This team as currently constructed is broken and there is limited hope to fix it before Sale hits free agency. Do the smart thing for once and sell, sell, sell.