• Jim Thome
    • Dave Martinez
    • Mike Scioscia
    • Other

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Sep 23, 2016 -> 10:44 AM)
I would.

I realize I may be in the minority, but I am just not into old tired managers. Ron Washington is 65 years old. This would most likely be his final job. I just don't see it as a good long term decision.

Give me someone with some fire.

For a manager, there is no such thing as "long" term. 10 years for any manager is a minor miracle. Their shelf life is typically 3 to 5 years anymore.

I'm actually surprised Joe McEwings name isn't in the mix somewhere in this discussion. He's coached under LaRussa and Bobby Valentine, and actually managed in the Sox system at one point, earning a couple of Manager of the Year awards down there. He has the requisite spark that some find attractive in a baseball manager (I am in that camp myself), so he certainly seems to have the credentials to at least be considered for the job.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Sep 23, 2016 -> 12:48 PM)
I'm actually surprised Joe McEwings name isn't in the mix somewhere in this discussion. He's coached under LaRussa and Bobby Valentine, and actually managed in the Sox system at one point, earning a couple of Manager of the Year awards down there. He has the requisite spark that some find attractive in a baseball manager (I am in that camp myself), so he certainly seems to have the credentials to at least be considered for the job.

He isn't in the poll, but a few people have mentioned him in the thread

I don't think he ever coached under LaRussa or Valentine, not that it would be a deal breaker for me.

I think the Renteria hire, and the attempt to bring in Sandy Jr, kind of spoke to that. I think they like him, but they don't see him as the #1 man.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 23, 2016 -> 10:59 AM)
For a manager, there is no such thing as "long" term. 10 years for any manager is a minor miracle. Their shelf life is typically 3 to 5 years anymore.

Meh. If you hire a young guy, and it works out there is at least a chance of that. Hiring some old guy who would rather be sipping drinks on a beach somewhere in a few years isn't what the Sox need.

I do think the Sox showed their hand a little when they went after Sandy Alomar Jr. last year. The only thing was Renteria wasn't really in play because he was going with Bud Black in DC but that fell through. So maybe Renteria was more highly thought of.

If you are going to change managers though, why promote a coach on this failed team? Replace the entire staff. Clearly, if the Sox brass thought McEwing would win more games than Robin, he would be managing right now. Renteria supposedly said he wouldn't take over during the season, so maybe not him, but what exactly did he add to the 2016 team?

Robin is going to go. I think he was put in a spot where failure was just about the only outcome, but bring in Sandy and some new blood to sit on the bench with him.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Sep 23, 2016 -> 02:27 PM)
Meh. If you hire a young guy, and it works out there is at least a chance of that. Hiring some old guy who would rather be sipping drinks on a beach somewhere in a few years isn't what the Sox need.

I'd rather they hire the right guy. Hell Ventura was young. So was Ozzie.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 23, 2016 -> 03:01 PM)
I'd rather they hire the right guy. Hell Ventura was young. So was Ozzie.

I made it pretty clear that I'd be fine if they went outside of the organization. If they do, I just prefer it to be a younger guy. Kepler would be great. Even though they aren't necessarily fully out of the organization, Dave Martinez or Sandy Alomar would be cool with me.

I'd also like to see someone with some fire. The Sox have been some damn boring the last few years.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Sep 23, 2016 -> 02:08 PM)
I made it pretty clear that I'd be fine if they went outside of the organization. If they do, I just prefer it to be a younger guy. Kepler would be great. Even though they aren't necessarily fully out of the organization, Dave Martinez or Sandy Alomar would be cool with me.

I'd also like to see someone with some fire. The Sox have been some damn boring the last few years.

I'm with you 100% on that, but equally as much, we just need someone who can flat out communicate in an effective manner. I know Ventura is suppose to be a great guy personally and it seems everyone who knows him likes and respects him, but my lord, he's painful to listen to in interviews. Someone with energy and who is a decent communicator, that's what we need!

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Sep 23, 2016 -> 03:08 PM)

RH addressed this at the season ticketholder event I attended. He acknowledged teams usually go from a hyper guy to a laid back and back to hyper, but he did say that wouldn't be a thing with the White Sox should Robin be replaced. They just want to find the right guy. Players change anyways.

I would like to have Ozzie back.

If that doesn't happen, my next choice would be Wally Backman. He had a nice run in the Mets organization, but just left at the end of the season as he was tired of being overlooked for big league jobs. He would create a complete 180 change in this clubhouse though and get the most out of the roster.

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ Sep 23, 2016 -> 09:33 PM)

I think that would make some sense but I sense that KW would not want him back and that Hahn would feel challenged by Ozzie, AJ or any strong personality in the Manager's position.

Since putting fans in the seats generates income which helps the team, why not pick Ozzie, AJ or someone who could light a fire under this team?

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Sep 24, 2016 -> 04:21 AM)
I think that would make some sense but I sense that KW would not want him back and that Hahn would feel challenged by Ozzie, AJ or any strong personality in the Manager's position.

Since putting fans in the seats generates income which helps the team, why not pick Ozzie, AJ or someone who could light a fire under this team?

Ozzie would have to agree to a one-year deal. Too risky. It'd be insane to name him manager, but I would love it.

My hope is for the team get younger and aim toward a 3 year rebuild program. I feel Dave Martinez would do wonders with younger players and get the most out of them. Even though we clearly know they will continue to try and scrap together a roster via the weak free agent market and mediocre trades, I would still like them to sign Martinez to a 4 year deal. That is my hope-- the reality: scrap together another mediocre roster, sign an oddball free agent that will cost the team their first round draft pick and will sign AJ or Konerko to become manager. :huh

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ Sep 23, 2016 -> 09:33 PM)

If that doesn't happen, my next choice would be Wally Backman. He had a nice run in the Mets organization, but just left at the end of the season as he was tired of being overlooked for big league jobs. He would create a complete 180 change in this clubhouse though and get the most out of the roster.

Hahn said Ozzie won't manage the Whie Sox again even though he is a fan. Specially mentioned all the distractions that go with it, and stepping back is not stepping forward.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Sep 24, 2016 -> 03:39 AM)
My hope is for the team get younger and aim toward a 3 year rebuild program. I feel Dave Martinez would do wonders with younger players and get the most out of them. Even though we clearly know they will continue to try and scrap together a roster via the weak free agent market and mediocre trades, I would still like them to sign Martinez to a 4 year deal. That is my hope-- the reality: scrap together another mediocre roster, sign an oddball free agent that will cost the team their first round draft pick and will sign AJ or Konerko to become manager. :huh

I think you'll get your wish, or something closely resembling it, anyway.

Since that 23-10 start from long, long ago, the Sox have gone 49-71 in the 120 games subsequent. That pencils out to an abysmal .408 winning percentage. Only the Twins have played to a worse winning percentage than that this year in all of baseball.

Given the sample size of the last 120 games versus the first 33, even my blind dog can see this White Sox team is currently a real clunker. Therefore, I don't expect Kenny Hahn to go on another retooling, put-lipstick-on-a-pig jaunt this winter. That gig is up.

Year 1 of the three year plan rendered 76 wins, and it looks like Year 2 is going to cough and wheeze out about the same. I don't think they'll bother with a Year 3, but rather go now in the direction you suggest, which would be the prudent way to go at this point.

Edited by Thad Bosley