Legitimate chance of Sale trade to #Nationals per Rosenthal

DirtySox

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 08:21 PM)
This is where Boston can come in and either a) help us get Turner or b) beat their offer and we get a great deal from Boston. I wouldn't sleep on Houston either.

I agree with Houston, especially given their GM's recent track record of being able to complete a big deal. Same can be said for Rangers front office & obviously DD for Red Sox. Don't see Dodgers front office having the same aggression, but Cashman could succumb to the pressure. I think Q is probably a more likely play for Dodgers / Red Sox / Rangers though.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 10:21 PM)
Only thing to really handwring over is the actual result of the deal and even then, we won't know the long term impacts for a while. What looks great on paper could be terrible and what looks bad on paper could be great.

Nah gotta give constant analysis, Sox rely on my insights

The reported Nats deal seems pretty risky. I feel Robles is pretty far away to be considered a major piece & Giolito could end up being comparable to Chris Sale at some point, but that's obviously best case! Where is the SURE THING in this trade or at least the appearance of great odds in our favor?

Plus this is a nobrainer for the Nats since it doesn't hurt them now whatsoever. I don't want the Sox to be on the other end of a nobrainer.

Edited by Jerksticks

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 10:36 PM)
The reported Nats deal seems pretty risky. I feel Robles is pretty far away to be considered a major piece & Giolito could end up being comparable to Chris Sale at some point, but that's obviously best case! Where is the SURE THING in this trade or at least the appearance of great odds in our favor?

Plus this is a nobrainer for the Nats since it doesn't hurt them now whatsoever. I don't want the Sox to be on the other end of a nobrainer.

The "quantity of quality" is where the White Sox would win. If Giolito and Robles are the headliners, there better be 4-6 others coming with them. A couple more quality, near-ready guys (Lopez, Fedde maybe?) and a few lottery tickets that have tools you like and you think you can develop (NO HITTERS WITH WEAK HIT TOOLS!), and this trade could be the feeder of the eventual competitor we're looking for on the South Side.

Ok, busy with grad school work and not a huge follower of prospects, but someone pull me back from the edge. Why are Robles (who had an OPS of .741 in his stint at A+) and Giolito (a guy with a 2.73 ERA and 1.19 WHIP in the minors) the leading prospects for the second best lefty in MLB? How the hell does that beat Benintendi, Bregman or Urias?

Maybe I'm being too harsh. Those MiLB stats just seem underwhelming. And our history with prospects doesn't inspire me to think we'll develop them into something more.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 09:42 PM)
The "quantity of quality" is where the White Sox would win. If Giolito and Robles are the headliners, there better be 4-6 others coming with them. A couple more quality, near-ready guys (Lopez, Fedde maybe?) and a few lottery tickets that have tools you like and you think you can develop (NO HITTERS WITH WEAK HIT TOOLS!), and this trade could be the feeder of the eventual competitor we're looking for on the South Side.

This is a respectable explanation, but not sure I like it as a team strategy. This is Chris Sale. Give us a clear future superstar please. Maybe I'm dreaming but I'd rather get Benintendi and Devers alone rather than several middling types. Just my two cents.

Lopez and Glover are off the table, supposedly.

Fedde? Would we really take two TJS guys...Hahn is Mr. Risk-Averse, typically.

Severino? Michael Taylor?

All things considered, there's a lot of risk associated with both Robles and Giolito (not to mention the White Sox not developing Latin American players internally since Carlos Lee and Ordonez almost two decades ago)...it feels like a 75% chance they regret it, of course, nobody has a crystal ball to predict the future.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (StrykerSox @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 10:44 PM)
Ok, busy with grad school work and not a huge follower of prospects, but someone pull me back from the edge. Why are Robles (who had an OPS of .741 in his stint at A+) and Giolito (a guy with a 2.73 ERA and 1.19 WHIP in the minors) the leading prospects for the second best lefty in MLB? How the hell does that beat Benintendi, Bregman or Urias?

Maybe I'm being too harsh. Those MiLB stats just seem underwhelming. And our history with prospects doesn't inspire me to think we'll develop them into something more.

Stop bringing up the Sox's history with developing position players if you're not going to acknowledge the fact that they have a new Scouting Director and an almost entirely new player development department.

Come on Boston, swoop in and blow the Nats out of the water! Otherwise, I bet Harper and Sale are teammates by tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully the Sox do the Northsider and do a complete, not half assed rebuild. Trade your major leaguers and put your balls on the table Rick Hahn! Then give KW the finger. I doubt we hear anything until tomorrow, JR probably went to bed...

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 10:49 PM)
Stop bringing up the Sox's history with developing position players if you're not going to acknowledge the fact that they have a new Scouting Director and an almost entirely new player development department.

Other than Chris Getz, what has changed...other than recycling coaches to different positions within the organizational hierarchy?

Based on his lack of experience compared to others in similar positions, it's hard to feel extremely confident...unless it's based on, well, it can't be any WORSE than it has been the last decade, right? Or can it?

How much say, if any, does Hostetler have on that side of things? We really just don't know enough...so, in that case, it's hard not to feel past/recent history isn't at least one legitimate concern based on track record or lack thereof (in the case of Getz).

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 10:42 PM)

I like your point and many on here agree with that avenue. Stryker's point is also a common one here and I agree more with that route. Chris f***ing Sale. We need a young superstar at least. A team is trading for CFS because they want to win the World Series. Gotta giiiiiiiive

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 10:54 PM)
Every year I'm shocked at fans pretending they know the value of a player more than the people that actually male a living doing it.

For a trade like this, if you're not getting a Turner, you'd hope to be getting three guys who can really make an impact...for example, Colon for Cliff Lee, Sizemore and Brandon Phillips. Obviously, Sizemore's career was cut short by injuries and Phillips only really succeeded after leaving the Indians, but that's what we need.

At this point, Escobar and Cain for Greinke feels more like the return (partially because of the risk/uncertainty associated with TJS). In the end, it was a net positive, but you have to get at least TWO contributors at 3-4 WAR and above for it to really make sense for the Sox. And Greinke was MUCH closer to free agency/more expensive in terms of his contract at that point.

Man, it'd be nice if some of the people here actually tried to answer questions and didn't just make smart-ass remarks. When did I ever say Benintendi and Devers were nowhere near enough? I'd be thrilled with that return, and I always would have been. Piece #6 in a Chris Sale trade doesn't mean much to me. I care about the headliners and if those are solid, I'm going to be happy.

And TaylorStSox, maybe I'm a little skeptical about the competence of a FO that once gave us Avisail Garcia as a centerpiece. But I appreciate your attempt a wise-ass remark nonetheless.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 10:59 PM)
I like your point and many on here agree with that avenue. Stryker's point is also a common one here and I agree more with that route. Chris f***ing Sale. We need a young superstar at least. A team is trading for CFS because they want to win the World Series. Gotta giiiiiiiive

I understand what you're saying, but at some point you have to realize that these teams are overvaluing those young, cost controlled premier position hitters and go a different route. If they won't give up the top guy, or won't give you much beyond them, then go a different route that gets you more value.

QUOTE (StrykerSox @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 11:05 PM)
Man, it'd be nice if some of the people here actually tried to answer questions and didn't just make smart-ass remarks. When did I ever say Benintendi and Devers were nowhere near enough? I'd be thrilled with that return, and I always would have been. Piece #6 in a Chris Sale trade doesn't mean much to me. I care about the headliners and if those are solid, I'm going to be happy.

And TaylorStSox, maybe I'm a little skeptical about the competence of a FO that once gave us Avisail Garcia as a centerpiece. But I appreciate your attempt a wise-ass remark nonetheless.

Peavy had a ton of value obviously :lol: