Red Sox acquire Chris Sale, White Sox get Moncada+

Southwest Sider

QUOTE (bighurt574 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 01:31 PM)
Pretty sure the bulk of that is sunk costs for Boston at this point, certainly the signing bonus and penalty.

It's sort of funny, to date, Boston has probably paid more for Moncada than we have for Sale.

Yeah the money is done. They paid Moncada his signing bonus and MLB the penalty tax.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 01:32 PM)
Dombrowski probably just wrapped up Executive of the Year Award. He gets a sure fire Cy Young candidate and doesn't give up one guy from his major league roster.

So how about giving the credit to the guys who actually built up Boston's farm system?

DD was handed plenty to work with.

QUOTE (bighurt574 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 01:31 PM)
Pretty sure the bulk of that is sunk costs for Boston at this point, certainly the signing bonus and penalty.

It's sort of funny, to date, Boston has probably paid more for Moncada than we have for Sale.

Probably? It is not even close. Boston has paid Moncada nearly $65M. The Sox have paid Sale about $20M + original signing bonus.

Boston will ahve paid Moncada probably double what he'll make with the Sox over 6-7 years.

QUOTE (Baron @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 01:34 PM)
Technically Boston did give up a guy from their lineup. With Shaw traded Moncada was in line for 3B. But now it's Panda with Devers about 2 years away.

I never saw that Moncada was going to start in the MLB next year or ever felt that vibe. I would have put money on him going to AAA. Especially since Panda is there at 3B.

QUOTE (bighurt574 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 02:33 PM)
So how about giving the credit to the guys who actually built up Boston's farm system?

DD was handed plenty to work with.

I'm not saying that. He didn't touch his major league roster and landed the best LH in the American League. That's a steal.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 01:35 PM)
I never saw that Moncada was going to start in the MLB next year or ever felt that vibe. I would have put money on him going to AAA. Especially since Panda is there at 3B.

Shaw would have been starting. Moncada was the "backup" plan. Panda I think they just wanted to bury. But they cant now.

This is from the Red Sox forum:

Unless Groome is one of the other prospects, this is way less than any of the fantasy packages we (self included) have been throwing together over the past year.

Most feel that they underpaid for this deal (does not happen with normal Red Sox meatheads)

They are also skeptical if Moncada will ever figure out how to hit the breaking pitches, strikeout numbers is a concern.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 01:35 PM)
I'm not saying that. He didn't touch his major league roster and landed the best LH in the American League. That's a steal.

Well, that's what you can do with a farm system with the #1, #5, #16, #30, and #67 prospects in baseball, per MLB.com.

I believe all those guys except #30 (Groome) pre-dated his tenure.

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 01:37 PM)
This is from the Red Sox forum:

Most feel that they underpaid for this deal (does not happen with normal Red Sox meatheads)

They are also skeptical if Moncada will ever figure out how to hit the breaking pitches, strikeout numbers is a concern.

Yeah man, I'm pretty nervous about this deal. Nervous, excited, disappointed, sad lol