Eaton to Nats/Giolito, Lopez, Dunning to Sox

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Tony @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 04:38 PM)
Let the process work itself out this entire off-season. You SHOULD judge each trade for what they are, but it's not totally in a vacuum either.

Q now becomes the key here.

Right, wait until January, or at least until Friday, to get mad about a lack of position players. More trades will occur.

QUOTE (rowand's rowdies @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 04:36 PM)
I like it.

No reason to compete right now.

1) Not close

2) AL is stacked

3) Cubs are loaded & Champs

Take some lumps until the balance shifts towards the NL in a few years and we can reasonably compete in the AL.

Imagine yourself 9 months ago during the Drake LaRoache saga. You got all these guys for just Sale & Eaton. Wow.

More importantly, the fanbase has HOPE. At least SOMETHING positive, SOMETHING to look forward to.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 04:33 PM)
I think it was close to that after yesterdays trade where the Sox probably acquired 3 of their top 5. Now they have 5 of their top 7.

To me its:

1. Moncada

2. Giolito

3. Lopez

4. Kopech

5. Collins

6. Fulmer

7. Basabe

Tilson was 5 two days ago. Now we have the likes of Burdi, Hansen, Adams as back end guys and May/Engel/Trey/Adolfo out of the Top Ten.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 06:38 PM)
Funny, that is exactly what the rebuild was supposed to be about now.

I'd say it was about having enough talent in the organization that you're not trying to buy an entire roster on the FA market, you're looking for a key final piece or two.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 04:39 PM)
I'd say it was about having enough talent in the organization that you're not trying to buy an entire roster on the FA market, you're looking for a key final piece or two.

Which we have not done in any sense. We still don't have any position players.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 04:36 PM)
This is fair, but loading up on arms means you have tradeable assets to get proven, MLB ready bats when the roster is ready to compete for real.

Yep. Couple things to add:

1) Like has been mentioned here previously, we all assume that Q moves for position player headliners;

2) Part of the problem last year, at a minimum, is that the rotation was brutal after the top 3 with not a lot of immediate help in the system after Fulmer. The depth of pitching in the system today is great.

3) There are two very early picks coming. It's hard to imagine the Sox aren't going to be picking in the top 3 in the '18 draft. Bats are going to be a priority in those drafts.

The fact that people are complaining about Eaton for a top 5 prospect, a top 40 prospect, and a first round pick in the '16 draft is baffling to me.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 05:39 PM)
Like literally as miserable as it could get.

Exactly. We were sold that this team was "retooling" every damn year when basically the ship was continuing to take on water the entire time without a competent captain. At some point, you have to blow it up.

QUOTE (Tony @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 04:40 PM)
1000%

Look on social, turn on the radio.

Sox fans want a road map. They want a plan. A foundation.

This is a hell of a start.

Their plan so far seems to be hoping that they can become the same team they were three years down the road. A hell of a start is one way to describe it.

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 06:36 PM)
I believe he's still alive. Dude, you don't need to argue with me about things. I love the direction. Moncada is a beast. I am 100% fine with both trades, even though I am not over the moon about players 3 and 4 we got for Sale. But 1 and 2 could be ridiculously good.

someone else mentioned the sox haven't gotten any position players. I just found it odd that two posts so close together forget to mention Yoan!

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 04:40 PM)

1) Like has been mentioned here previously, we all assume that Q moves for position player headliners;

2) Part of the problem last year, at a minimum, is that the rotation was brutal after the top 3 with not a lot of immediate help in the system after Fulmer. The depth of pitching in the system today is great.

3) There are two very early picks coming. It's hard to imagine the Sox aren't going to be picking in the top 3 in the '18 draft. Bats are going to be a priority in those drafts.

The fact that people are complaining about Eaton for a top 5 prospect, a top 40 prospect, and a first round pick in the '16 draft is baffling to me.

+ a ton of (real) money to spend on any remaining holes once all these guys come up

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 04:40 PM)
Which we have not done in any sense. We still don't have any position players.

You seriously need to start thinking about a 2-3 year plan instead of judging one trade at a time. You're being too shortsighted about this. But whatever man, keep feeling bad like you seem to want to. But like I said, you keep posting this garbage... NO ONE here is buying it. Hit the log out button or find another topic to participate in. You're rhetoric is old and at this point is just annoying. We all know you hate the deal. Now go away and let the rest of us celebrate.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 04:40 PM)

We will be picking high in the draft for the rest of the decade, that is for sure.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 02:36 PM)
We HAD to get position players. That is what got us into this mess in the first place.

You couldn't not get pitching prospects back, either. We needed a massive talent infusion. More should be coming and obviously we also have a full year of Timmy Anderson and hopefully Collins on there way soon too (and obviously Tillson will get a chance too).

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 04:36 PM)
We HAD to get position players. That is what got us into this mess in the first place.

We have position players. Moncada/Anderson/Basabe/Collins/Engel/Michaelowszki (sp?)

We also have two significant pieces in Abreu and Quintana to trade and given the young team probably a couple of very high draft picks coming. The main point is getting premium players and that's what Hahn had done.

QUOTE (South Sider @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 04:42 PM)
You seriously need to start thinking about a 2-3 year plan instead of judging one trade at a time. You're being too shortsighted about this. But whatever man, keep feeling bad like you seem to want to. But like I said, you keep posting this garbage... NO ONE here is buying it. Hit the log out button or find another topic to participate in. You're rhetoric is old and at this point is just annoying. We all know you hate the deal. Now go away and let the rest of us celebrate.

The net of our two biggest trade chips and we got one future star position player (at best) for one current one. We got a lot of pitching. There is no reason to celebrate this as a "plan".

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 05:41 PM)
someone else mentioned the sox haven't gotten any position players. I just found it odd that two posts so close together forget to mention Yoan!

Fair enough...I should have responded with Yoan, but I was tackling it from Southside's perspective of having "too many pitchers", which I've NEVER EVER considered it a problem. Even if we had gotten the "pitching equivalent" of Yoan thus a -1 gain on position players I wouldn't have complained a bit. Pitching will rebuild this franchise, not only in terms of what the team fields, but also in flexibility to add necessary position pieces as the Sox draw closer to being in contention again.

A rebuild does NOT go: I need X players here, X players there...a Rebuild simply improves the talent base. You get the very best talent you can, then sort it out later.

It's funny when armchair GM commentators on Fangraphs talk about players just using last season's fWAR. So many use fWAR to project, which you should never do. Eaton is not a 6 WAR true talent player. If he was, he'd be a superstar. As is he's a good player but most of his value is in RF and he's now moving back to CF. I"ll be surprised if he puts up much more than 3 fWAR this season, not without a big jump in his slash line anyways.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 04:44 PM)
The net of our two biggest trade chips and we got one future star position player (at best) for one current one. We got a lot of pitching. There is no reason to celebrate this as a "plan".

Oh, you know what.. you're right. You just convinced me. Actually, you should keep responding to every Sox fan who loves this deal. You'll change all of our minds eventually. :lol: