Sox sign C Geovany Soto

GGajewski18

Soto has ranged anywhere from excellent pitch framer (when he was with the Cubs), to an average one, with an above average season as recently as 2015 with the White Sox.

It seems to be a step in the right direction for handling young pitchers, which is really the only role our 2017 catcher needs to have.

Edited by ChiliIrishHammock24

Fully expect more names to be brought in. There are two catchers spots up for competition (though I feel like Navarez probably has the inside track on one spot) so its going to draw in more than a few guys looking to cash MLB checks for another year.

Soto caught a few games for Rodon in 2015 also, so maybe there's a comfort level there. I expect the front office to be very aware of who they have catching games for Rodon to open the season.

I'm fine with this.

One thing on our catchers pre-this signing, zips projections were so bad that Roberto Pena was our highest projected catcher even with his .600 OPS in minors offense.

If we don't care about the black hole on offense he provides he would be my favorite for first one up (above Kevan Smith).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 6, 2017 -> 09:29 AM)
So if hypothetically he's platooned with Narvaez, we actually have one left handed hitting catcher and one right handed hitting catcher on the roster this time, not two righties, right?

Yes, and Soto has not played above 90 games in some time so definitely not going to expect 120+ games out of him.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 6, 2017 -> 09:29 AM)
So if hypothetically he's platooned with Narvaez, we actually have one left handed hitting catcher and one right handed hitting catcher on the roster this time, not two righties, right?

Yep. Super small sample, but Narvaez actually hit much better against LHP last year.

Wasn't he switch hitter, but decided to drop batting from the right side in the majors?

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jan 6, 2017 -> 09:34 AM)
Yep. Super small sample, but Narvaez actually hit much better against LHP last year.

Wasn't he switch hitter, but decided to drop batting from the right side in the majors?

He throws righty, so I'd guess yes. I knew nothing about Narvaez before he was brought up though.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 6, 2017 -> 09:53 AM)
Oh right, handedness not best for catchers, however the google search "narvaez switch hitting" led me to some site called futuresox:

http://www.chicagonow.com/future-sox/omar-narvaez/

which says he abandoned switch hitting in 2014.

Maybe I was thinking of another Sox player who had a cup of coffee last year, or maybe just recall it being mentioned on a telecast.

Thanks for looking it up.