Nationals acquire Doolittle/Madson from As

Whisox05

I still think a Robertson/Swarzak package makes a ton of sense for Washington. Swarzak won't bring back a ton on his own, but as a sweetener it might convince Rizzo to give up a Soto or Kieboom as part of a package. IMO, the Nationals need to add at least two bullpen arms and there is value to be had by leveraging one team (in this case the Sox) to fill all their bullpen needs.

• Replies 774
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 5, 2017 -> 02:38 PM)
I still think a Robertson/Swarzak package makes a ton of sense for Washington. Swarzak won't bring back a ton on his own, but as a sweetener it might convince Rizzo to give up a Soto or Kieboom as part of a package. IMO, the Nationals need to add at least two bullpen arms and there is value to be had by leveraging one team (in this case the Sox) to fill all their bullpen needs.

Plus, Albers and Turner have done surprisingly well for them...additional anecdotal evidence for the AL is much tougher than the NL argument.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 5, 2017 -> 03:41 PM)
Plus, Albers and Turner have done surprisingly well for them...additional anecdotal evidence for the AL is much tougher than the NL argument.

Turner just got DFA'd and Albers has been returning to his old self

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 5, 2017 -> 03:38 PM)

I could support Swarzak being an add-in for a deal in order to bump up a top player in a deal like this. It would make a lot of sense for both teams. I wonder what the deal would look like now. Drew Ward has had a pretty awful year, and Luzardo is just now coming back after TJS.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 5, 2017 -> 03:55 PM)
They need multiple pitchers. If they set their sights higher on all, they will lose most of their top 10 prospects to do it.

It won't happen but the Nationals emptying out their farm system in exchange for Robertson, Kahnle, and Swarzak would make a lot of sense for both teams.

As many have mentioned before, we need other teams to be in need of closers for the Nats to really get into a bidding war, or at least feel any added outside motivation. My thought is look at the league leaders in blown save opportunities and work those angles hard. The Nats needs relievers. Desperately. If we start selling off relievers to other clubs, they'll see we aren't just waiting for them to pick up the phone.

TeamRank Blown Saves Games Back from WC

1 Texas 17 3.5

3 NY Yankees 15 +1

5 Tampa Bay 15 0

6 Washington 14 -

8 Seattle 13 3

12 LA Angels 12 2.5

All of these teams are competing for a wildcard or division spot and rank among the teams with most blown saves. There's ample opportunity to make moves with other teams (once teams become motivated to buy) that will net us pieces and force other teams' hand.

QUOTE (maxjusttyped @ Jul 5, 2017 -> 04:35 PM)
It won't happen but the Nationals emptying out their farm system in exchange for Robertson, Kahnle, and Swarzak would make a lot of sense for both teams.

Why lower our pricetag? It's the Nats that are desperate, not us.

Sure, I'd absolutely be willing to deal any reliever on our team for the right price, but no need to go out of our way to help the Nationals. They screwed up by not signing Holland and ownership nixing the Robertson deal. Now it is going to end up costing them significantly more to improve the bullpen.

Any impact piece is going to cost top prospects now, as there is no reason to settle for less. The market is thin as it is for relief help, and the Nationals will not be the only suitor out there for quality pen arms.

I think it's funny that Nats fans think that Luzardo/Ward still could get a Robertson deal done.

Edited by steveno89

QUOTE (The Baconator @ Jul 5, 2017 -> 03:43 PM)
As many have mentioned before, we need other teams to be in need of closers for the Nats to really get into a bidding war, or at least feel any added outside motivation. My thought is look at the league leaders in blown save opportunities and work those angles hard. The Nats needs relievers. Desperately. If we start selling off relievers to other clubs, they'll see we aren't just waiting for them to pick up the phone.

TeamRank Blown Saves Games Back from WC

1 Texas 17 3.5

3 NY Yankees 15 +1

5 Tampa Bay 15 0

6 Washington 14 -

8 Seattle 13 3

12 LA Angels 12 2.5

All of these teams are competing for a wildcard or division spot and rank among the teams with most blown saves. There's ample opportunity to make moves with other teams (once teams become motivated to buy) that will net us pieces and force other teams' hand.

Yankees are back to full strength. Seattle has Diaz throwing well again, Angels' BS issue came from not having Bedrosian who is now back. Colome is probably just going through a rough patch--he's one of the top closers in the AL so he'll probably come out of it. Really cuts this list down to Texas and Washington as the teams who have struggled and don't have much of a solution in-house. I think Texas is a piece or 2 away from seriously going on a run--they might think they can right the Matt Bush ship eventually. All signs point to Washington as the main team who will lay it on the line to get a shut down closer. What concerns me is that usually when a team is 1 main piece away from dominating at an elite level, they find a way to acquire elite talent to fill the void. Look at Cleveland and Andrew Miller and the Cubs and Chapman. I'm not sure Washington sees D-Rob as the answer simply because he's seemingly the best available and better than what they have. I think you'll see them broaden their search beyond who we all THINK is available and look to add someone like Osuna from Toronto--or maybe even Zach Britton if he's for sure healthy. If Baltimore and Toronto claw back into it, then D-Rob comes back into play--I just don't get the feeling that Robertson is the Nationals' #1 target as much as he is a fallback plan--he's good but not elite. That is certainly reflected in who they are willing to give up to get him. Certainly the ability to add another strong bullpen piece helps our case.

Jon Morosi‏Verified account @jonmorosi 2m2 minutes ago

More

Sources: #Nationals showing interest in #Reds closer Raisel Iglesias. He has a 1.59 ERA, 15 of 16 in save opportunities. @MLB @MLBNetwork

QUOTE (shipps @ Jul 6, 2017 -> 10:35 AM)
Jon Morosi‏Verified account @jonmorosi 2m2 minutes ago

More

Sources: #Nationals showing interest in #Reds closer Raisel Iglesias. He has a 1.59 ERA, 15 of 16 in save opportunities. @MLB @MLBNetwork

If teams want Robles/Soto, I could see why the Nats are aiming higher than Robertson.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 6, 2017 -> 11:06 AM)
If teams want Robles/Soto, I could see why the Nats are aiming higher than Robertson.

Good point. Cheaper and controllable through 21. I know if I'm trading my top guys, I want more control than 1 year and 2 months.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 6, 2017 -> 11:19 AM)
True, but I hope it's not the Sox asking for one of those 2 because it's not realistic and not happening.

Probably close to the original deal agreed upon this off-season but with more salary relief for the Sox (eating less/no money) thus, making it a better deal.

Edited by soxfan2014

The Nationals really arent in a position of leverage here. If the Sox want Robles or Soto+ and the Nats are interested then fine. There are plenty of other teams that need bullpen help and realize you have to pay a steep price to acquire the good ones.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 6, 2017 -> 11:21 AM)
Probably close to the original deal agreed upon this off-season but with more salary relief for the Sox (eating less/no money) thus, making it a better deal.

I'd be pretty disappointed with Ward and Luzardo at this point.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 6, 2017 -> 11:24 AM)
I'd be pretty disappointed with Ward and Luzardo at this point.

Same. I assume they could do better but I don't think it'll be the Nationals' top guys.

Like I said above, if I were working for the Nats, I would target more control if I had to deal away top guys for help.

Wasn't it Olney recently who said he thinks a deal between the 2 probably won't happen?

Where else could Robertson potentially go? Yankees? Rangers if they start heating up over the next 3 weeks? Dodgers just to add another big piece (similar to the Cubs last year)?

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 6, 2017 -> 11:26 AM)
Same. I assume they could do better but I don't think it'll be the Nationals' top guys.

Like I said above, if I were working for the Nats, I would target more control if I had to deal away top guys for help.

Wasn't it Olney recently who said he thinks a deal between the 2 probably won't happen?

Where else could Robertson potentially go? Yankees? Rangers if they start heating up over the next 3 weeks?

Yah, he said they hadn't talked in awhile. But I take all that stuff with a grain of salt.

Minimum, I want to see Kieboom + Luzardo. But I bet Ricky is still asking for Soto +, and he should be (for now).

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 6, 2017 -> 11:28 AM)
Yah, he said they hadn't talked in awhile. But I take all that stuff with a grain of salt.

Minimum, I want to see Kieboom + Luzardo. But I bet Ricky is still asking for Soto +, and he should be (for now).

I'm starting to think other pieces in our pen like Swarzak are a better fit for them from us.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 6, 2017 -> 11:26 AM)

Where else could Robertson potentially go? Yankees? Rangers if they start heating up over the next 3 weeks? Dodgers just to add another big piece (similar to the Cubs last year)?

yes, he really made it sound like talks were dead because of the ownership veto of the previous deal.