DRAFT TRACKER 2017, and Day One Discussion

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 12:16 AM)
11. Chicago White Sox

As the Luis Robert signing showed, the White Sox are committed to building a major league roster with homegrown players, even if they have to pay a premium for them. It’s worth wondering what this pick would have looked like without bonus pools and slot suggestions.

This is a pick that can live up to the hype, though, and the White Sox bought in. The strategy is simple: Get the best possible player first, worry exactly where he’s going to fit second. It’s a fine tradition in the draft, and there’s no reason for the White Sox to veer away from it.

Grade: B+

http://www.sbnation.com/2017/6/12/15727198...erious-analysis

That write up... if you look closely at it in its entirety - looks like a joke written without the author even knowing who was selected by any of the teams he reviewed. Kinda like a kid making up a book he does a book report on for school.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 02:16 AM)
11. Chicago White Sox

As the Luis Robert signing showed, the White Sox are committed to building a major league roster with homegrown players, even if they have to pay a premium for them. It’s worth wondering what this pick would have looked like without bonus pools and slot suggestions.

This is a pick that can live up to the hype, though, and the White Sox bought in. The strategy is simple: Get the best possible player first, worry exactly where he’s going to fit second. It’s a fine tradition in the draft, and there’s no reason for the White Sox to veer away from it.

Grade: B+

http://www.sbnation.com/2017/6/12/15727198...erious-analysis

Uhhhhh....that's a joke article written before the draft even occurred.

Btw im not sure why they drafted a first baseman in the second round. Sheets stats are not bad but the Sox already have collins as a potential 1b or DH and burger is not a lock to stay at third either.

I know you go best player available but with burger probably not being that expensive wouldn't there be a higher upside overslot pick?

I get hahns strategy, he is going away from toolsy outfielders to advanced college bats who have a high floor and usually positions work out themselves but if guys already start at the left of the defensive spectrum there is not much room to go.

Still it proyally is worth a try, 11th and 40 something are not super high picks and if you want guys that definitely not flame out in A ball those were probably the guys to go.

QUOTE (beautox @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 02:14 AM)
So where do the sox go from here? next pick is at 87 followed by 117.

I would love to see them snag Luis Gonzalez at 87 [mlb.com has him as the 106 prospect] a left handed hitting CF, his profile just screams this new philosophy and he has been comped to Ender Inciarte. He put up this line in the MWC .361/.500/.589 - 1089 and has more walks(58 20%) than strike outs(32 11%). Klaw also had him as the last pick in the first round in one of his recent mock drafts.

LOVE Gonzo. I highly doubt he'll be there when we make our pick so I didn't mention him. Would be a tremendous get though.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2715096...es-and-analysis

First Round (No. 11 Overall): Jake Burger, 3B, Missouri State

Jake Burger was one of the top college power bats in this year's draft following a stellar junior season at Missouri State.

He hit .328/.443/.648 this spring and his 22 home runs marked the second year in a row that he's topped the 20-homer mark, while his on-base skills also took a significant step forward and he drew more walks (43) than strikeouts (38).

There are some questions about his ability to stay at third base defensively and he's not the most athletic player by any means, but his bat will play and his power is legit.

Grade: C-minus

Burger should develop into a solid contributor, but if the White Sox preferred to go the college-bat route, I like Jeren Kendall or Evan White here instead.

Second Round (No. 49 Overall): Gavin Sheets, 1B, Wake Forest

Gavin Sheets was asked to fill the shoes of 2016 first-round pick Will Craig in the middle of the Wake Forest lineup and he didn't disappoint.

He raised his OPS from .891 to 1.063 and slugged 20 home runs while driving in 81 runs and drawing more walks (44) than strikeouts (33) on his way to a .429 on-base percentage.

The big 6'5", 235-pound slugger will be limited to first base and DH duties, so his bat will have to carry him.

Grade: C

This pick would have made a lot more sense if the White Sox had gone with a high-ceiling high school prospect in the first round.

Note, that's actually what they did when the Sox signed Luis Robert, buddy. And Beck/Adell were already gone, so not sure what the argument is, that they should have taken Baz instead?

A lot of teams passed on Kendall, but he and White will be the obvious comparisons throughout their respective careers...especially after being linked to him for so long.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 12, 2017 -> 11:46 PM)
I'll fully admit I don't like drafting for need, but our system desperately needs positional talent. I check our minor league box scores every day and there's not even one interesting guy in AA and basically only two guys in high A of note. Adding Robert, Burger, & Sheets will definitely help. Those guys should all start in high A next year along with Adolfo and perhaps Fisher or Basabe. We should also start seeing some of our recent Latin America sigings like Nunez hit low A next year. If we can add a few more positional prospects at the trade deadline or during the offseason, our 2018 rosters will look much better than our 2017 ones.

On the drafting for need point, I would be pretty surprised if they didn't group prospects into tiers and if they didn't select somebody from the best available tier.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 05:20 AM)
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2715096...es-and-analysis

First Round (No. 11 Overall): Jake Burger, 3B, Missouri State

Jake Burger was one of the top college power bats in this year's draft following a stellar junior season at Missouri State.

He hit .328/.443/.648 this spring and his 22 home runs marked the second year in a row that he's topped the 20-homer mark, while his on-base skills also took a significant step forward and he drew more walks (43) than strikeouts (38).

There are some questions about his ability to stay at third base defensively and he's not the most athletic player by any means, but his bat will play and his power is legit.

Grade: C-minus

Burger should develop into a solid contributor, but if the White Sox preferred to go the college-bat route, I like Jeren Kendall or Evan White here instead.

Second Round (No. 49 Overall): Gavin Sheets, 1B, Wake Forest

Gavin Sheets was asked to fill the shoes of 2016 first-round pick Will Craig in the middle of the Wake Forest lineup and he didn't disappoint.

He raised his OPS from .891 to 1.063 and slugged 20 home runs while driving in 81 runs and drawing more walks (44) than strikeouts (33) on his way to a .429 on-base percentage.

The big 6'5", 235-pound slugger will be limited to first base and DH duties, so his bat will have to carry him.

Grade: C

This pick would have made a lot more sense if the White Sox had gone with a high-ceiling high school prospect in the first round.

Note, that's actually what they did when the Sox signed Luis Robert, buddy. And Beck/Adell were already gone, so not sure what the argument is, that they should have taken Baz instead?

A lot of teams passed on Kendall, but he and White will be the obvious comparisons throughout their respective careers...especially after being linked to him for so long.

Giving out mlb amateur draft grades day of is a pretty ludicrous thing to do. With many of these players it will take 4-5 years before you know if the pick was a good one or not.

Given the way the draft unfolded, I do not hate the Burger selection and think it made sense. I'm sure Evan White was a consideration as well, but the Sox clearly liked Burger's power.

In the second round what was wrong with going high school arm like Carlson or Enlow? Sheets seems like a prototypical first baseman/dh which the organization did not have, but couldn't we go with higher upside in the prep ranks?

QUOTE (gatnom @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 07:20 AM)
On the drafting for need point, I would be pretty surprised if they didn't group prospects into tiers and if they didn't select somebody from the best available tier.

Yeah, I think people's BPA with the mlb draft is kind of overblown. But I think the tiers were influenced by trait needs in the whole farm system not major league team needs.

Last year we began addressing obp, this year power. Also have a need of youth. Would guess we'll see a lot of protectable bodies today.

I know it could go either way, but I think it's kind of weird that everybody seems to be discounting that Burger could actually lose weight and get in better shape going from a small college to a major league program. I'm sure he will see a massive upgrade in weight rooms and with $ in his pocket and access to dieticians his nutrition intake should get a lot better from when he was a poor college kid. Of course some guys also eat their way out of positions/the league once they get paid, but hopefully we scouted him enough to feel comfortable that he will work hard.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 08:19 AM)
Yeah, I think people's BPA with the mlb draft is kind of overblown. But I think the tiers were influenced by trait needs in the whole farm system not major league team needs.

Last year we began addressing obp, this year power. Also have a need of youth. Would guess we'll see a lot of protectable bodies today.

I'd hope we take some shots on high school players in rounds three and four and look for upside.

I know we need position prospects as well, but it is always important to stock up on arms.

He's a lifelong White Sox fan. If nothing else he won't want to embarrass himself and will want to make a name for himself. I don't believe 11th overall picks get paid that well? It's not like he is set for life. If he works hard for 6 years he can get himself a 100+ million $$$ guaranteed pay day.

They have some of the best training facilities on earth in AZ and a great training program. I'll admit he kind of reminds me of the kid in Trouble with the Curve but it's probably just his size and accent. An arm bar is different than a hitch, no?

He may never pan out, but if anyone has some extra reasons to succeed, this kid has them. Excited to have a couple mashers in the system with Sheets as well. We're the Chicago White Sox for crying out loud. Excited for today thanks everyone for the scouting reports and input. A lot of us don't know anything about any one of these guys.

QUOTE (rowand's rowdies @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 08:49 AM)
He's a lifelong White Sox fan. If nothing else he won't want to embarrass himself and will want to make a name for himself. I don't believe 11th overall picks get paid that well? It's not like he is set for life. If he works hard for 6 years he can get himself a 100+ million $$$ guaranteed pay day.

They have some of the best training facilities on earth in AZ and a great training program. I'll admit he kind of reminds me of the kid in Trouble with the Curve but it's probably just his size and accent. An arm bar is different than a hitch, no?

He may never pan out, but if anyone has some extra reasons to succeed, this kid has them. Excited to have a couple mashers in the system with Sheets as well. We're the Chicago White Sox for crying out loud. Excited for today thanks everyone for the scouting reports and input. A lot of us don't know anything about any one of these guys.

Nobody really knows any of these guys, we just google them faster.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 08:42 AM)
Looking at Burgers swing and its so weird how he lunges forward after contact. That isnt typical for a power guy is it?

Really for any good MLB hitter a lunge like that is atypical. Kind of why Frazier's swing has always seemed odd to me - I always find myself yelling at him on TV to stay back.

We do have to remember the swings of our current draftees will likely look different once the Sox get their hands on them. Ideally you'd like to stay on your backside rather than drift through the zone on contact. Most likely something he will have to correct, but to me it actually speaks a lot to his current bat to ball skills that he can manage the strike zone the way he does (or reportedly does, I have never seen him play besides youtube clips) with the current lunge he has going on. The more your body moves, the more your head moves and the more difficult pitch recognition and zone recognition becomes.

I would think the weight transfer would not be a tough task to correct so not entirely concerned about that. The arm bar is more inane in his swing and theoretically would be harder to correct/shorten up.

QUOTE (pablo @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 09:44 AM)
Really for any good MLB hitter a lunge like that is atypical. Kind of why Frazier's swing has always seemed odd to me - I always find myself yelling at him on TV to stay back.

We do have to remember the swings of our current draftees will likely look different once the Sox get their hands on them. Ideally you'd like to stay on your backside rather than drift through the zone on contact. Most likely something he will have to correct, but to me it actually speaks a lot to his current bat to ball skills that he can manage the strike zone the way he does (or reportedly does, I have never seen him play besides youtube clips) with the current lunge he has going on. The more your body moves, the more your head moves and the more difficult pitch recognition and zone recognition becomes.

I would think the weight transfer would not be a tough task to correct so not entirely concerned about that. The arm bar is more inane in his swing and theoretically would be harder to correct/shorten up.

Why is the arm bar hard to correct? Just tell him not to straighten his left arm when he prepares to swing.

Edited by Dam8610

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 10:09 AM)
Why is the arm bar hard to correct? Just tell him not to straighten his left arm when he prepares to swing.

You would think but sometimes guys just won't change "what got them there." Zack Collins for example.

It's part of his natural motion to straighten his front arm - something he's probably been doing his whole life. He's just gotten away with it so far. It would take a lot of hard work and effort to break that habit which is why it came up in so many scouting reports before the draft.

He probably has 10's of thousands of reps doing something the same way. It isn't super-easy to change some of the basic mechanics.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 05:09 AM)
LOVE Gonzo. I highly doubt he'll be there when we make our pick so I didn't mention him. Would be a tremendous get though.

11 picks...crossing my fingers.