Shohei Otani is likely coming to the USA

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 22, 2017 -> 08:12 AM)
Of those four, really only the Mariners have a regular DH that would compete for ABs.

Believe me, I love to follow the NPB and I want Otani on the White Sox BADLY (I subscribe to the PL streaming service and watched all of Otani's starts this year), but this one is looking to be very, very unlikely for us.

Really, no AL team has less to offer him on paper than we do. We're not currently a contender, have the least amount of money to give, exist in an underperforming media market (given the Cubs and compared to LA/NYC), and we have a guy who will likely need to compete for DH at bats going forward (Abreu). On top of that, the Sox are one of the few teams who didn't bother to send anyone to go see him pitch this year, and there have been no indications that they've contacted his agent.

To me, it appears that the Sox consciously chose to put their eggs in the Luis Robert basket instead of joining the scrum for Otani, knowing that they had a much better chance of landing Robert given their ability to spend big and offer a Cuban-friendly clubhouse.

Well, if you believe Otani's actions and the reports on what he's said, the money isn't that big of a factor and he wants to go to a team that isn't traditionally considered to be a powerhouse. There are quite a few elements of the whole thing that give me hope that the White Sox have a nonzero chance in this race. I just hope the org pursues it.

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Nov 22, 2017 -> 12:36 PM)
Well, if you believe Otani's actions and the reports on what he's said, the money isn't that big of a factor and he wants to go to a team that isn't traditionally considered to be a powerhouse. There are quite a few elements of the whole thing that give me hope that the White Sox have a nonzero chance in this race. I just hope the org pursues it.

It's certainly worth a shot, but the chances are low enough that we should be extremely skeptical. There are better fits who also happen to have more money.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Nov 22, 2017 -> 10:36 AM)

I agree with everything except the bolded. For example, if it comes down to the Sox and Yankees and both are offering him significant DH at bats but Yankees are offering ~$3 million more, I would bet on him taking the Yankees offer.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 22, 2017 -> 10:46 AM)
I agree with everything except the bolded. For example, if it comes down to the Sox and Yankees and both are offering him significant DH at bats but Yankees are offering ~$3 million more, I would bet on him taking the Yankees offer.

That would contradict everything he's said and done to date. I guess we'll see what happens.

Look, we probably have a 1/1000 chance of landing him, but the fact he’s turning down a potential $200M contract and coming over now means the typical rules don’t apply. This guy clearly wants that GOAT status. The Sox can legitimately provide him with an opportunity to be MLB’s first legit two-way player as well as being the focal point of a a very promising up-and-coming team. Not a lot of other organizations can truly offer that IMO.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 22, 2017 -> 01:56 PM)
Typically that means west coast over east coast for Japanese players.

That's what I figured as well - but didn't want to make an assumption... because... well, you know... that whole assumption thing.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Nov 22, 2017 -> 10:36 AM)

I cannot fathom that the Sox is the only team that could offer Otani DH at bats. If there are several other teams offering DH at bats and more money, you can bet that he’s taking the offer with more money. No matter how much you want to downplay it, 2-3 mil is the difference between comfortable living for a few years and barely getting by.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 22, 2017 -> 10:23 AM)
According to MLB network, 3 teams have over $3 million to spend (Rangers, Yankees, Twins) and the Pirates have about 2.2 million.

MLB Network‏Verified account @MLBNetwork 41m41 minutes ago Let the Shohei Ohtani sweepstakes begin! #MLBNHotStove

Same numbers you previously claimed were inaccurate.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Nov 22, 2017 -> 02:11 PM)
The Mariners are on the west coast, have traded for additional bonus pool $, have made an early offer to bring Iwakuma back to Seattle and are suspected to be interested in reuniting with Ichiro. Things could be lining up for Seattle.

👍🏻

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Nov 22, 2017 -> 04:11 PM)
The Mariners are on the west coast, have traded for additional bonus pool $, have made an early offer to bring Iwakuma back to Seattle and are suspected to be interested in reuniting with Ichiro. Things could be lining up for Seattle.

And that’s fine by me. Would rather have him end up in Seattle than with the Yankees or Dodgers or god forbid the Cubs.

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Nov 22, 2017 -> 04:05 PM)
I cannot fathom that the Sox is the only team that could offer Otani DH at bats. If there are several other teams offering DH at bats and more money, you can bet that he’s taking the offer with more money. No matter how much you want to downplay it, 2-3 mil is the difference between comfortable living for a few years and barely getting by.

The way he talked, he wants to be part of building a winner, and obviously the money isn't a factor for him like most, because if it was, he'd wait 2 years and get $200 million. Since he's not doing that, clearly other factors are important to him, and it seems like the White Sox are uniquely positioned to align with those factors. They just embarked on a rebuilding process that has already begun to yield some positive results despite that fact, and could make Otani a central part of it and maybe even a face of the franchise if he's good enough to warrant it. There's certainly no reason not to try. I highly doubt $2-3 million would make the difference to him, and I think he'll be just fine with $300K and his MLB minimum salary of $507,500 In terms of getting by.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 22, 2017 -> 05:38 PM)
And that’s fine by me. Would rather have him end up in Seattle than with the Yankees or Dodgers or god forbid the Cubs.

That's how I feel about it too. I'm pulling for Seattle to sign Ohtani.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Nov 22, 2017 -> 06:01 PM)
The way he talked, he wants to be part of building a winner, and obviously the money isn't a factor for him like most, because if it was, he'd wait 2 years and get $200 million. Since he's not doing that, clearly other factors are important to him, and it seems like the White Sox are uniquely positioned to align with those factors. They just embarked on a rebuilding process that has already begun to yield some positive results despite that fact, and could make Otani a central part of it and maybe even a face of the franchise if he's good enough to warrant it. There's certainly no reason not to try. I highly doubt $2-3 million would make the difference to him, and I think he'll be just fine with $300K and his MLB minimum salary of $507,500 In terms of getting by.

You make it sound like he has a couple of destinations in mind, and Sox is one of them. If he really gave off any hints that he's interested in our current situation, RH and KW will be all over him and you'd see more stories of us connected to Otani. Instead, we did not even attend his workout and just traded more pool money to the team that might have the best shot of landing him. What does this tell you from the Sox perspective?

Also, keep in mind that he's speaking through a translator, what you read may not be exactly what he meant, especially fluff pieces like not wanting to play for a powerhouse franchise and instead wanting to be part of a rebuilding process.

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Nov 22, 2017 -> 06:26 PM)
You make it sound like he has a couple of destinations in mind, and Sox is one of them. If he really gave off any hints that he's interested in our current situation, RH and KW will be all over him and you'd see more stories of us connected to Otani. Instead, we did not even attend his workout and just traded more pool money to the team that might have the best shot of landing him. What does this tell you from the Sox perspective?

Also, keep in mind that he's speaking through a translator, what you read may not be exactly what he meant, especially fluff pieces like not wanting to play for a powerhouse franchise and instead wanting to be part of a rebuilding process.

Good post man, really good post. Just look at the Luis Robert threads before the Sox signed him. Many of us knew back then that if the Sox signed Robert, it would put the Sox out-of the running for Ohtani. If the Sox passed on Robert to go after Ohtani and failed to land Ohtani, the Sox end up with nothing. So the Sox chose to go after Robert and used a video with appearance's from Abreu and Moncada to entice him to sign with the Sox. It worked and was the wise thing to do. The Sox have much more history with Latin American players than they do with Japanese players so Robert was the logical choice. It really was a no-brainer.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Nov 22, 2017 -> 06:40 PM)
Good post man, really good post. Just look at the Luis Robert threads before the Sox signed him. Many of us knew back then that if the Sox signed Robert, it would put the Sox out-of the running for Ohtani. If the Sox passed on Robert to go after Ohtani and failed to land Ohtani, the Sox end up with nothing. So the Sox chose to go after Robert and used a video with appearance's from Abreu and Moncada to entice him to sign with the Sox. It worked and was the wise thing to do. The Sox have much more history with Latin American players than they do with Japanese players so Robert was the logical choice. It really was a no-brainer.

Well no, not exactly. They would have had two years worth of signings under the new system which is going to allow for the players to be more spread out amongst the teams by not allowing teams to blow away the caps.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 22, 2017 -> 06:47 PM)
Well no, not exactly. They would have had two years worth of signings under the new system which is going to allow for the players to be more spread out amongst the teams by not allowing teams to blow away the caps.

Should have worded that better. If the Sox passed on Robert to make a run at Ohtani and fail to sign him, they miss out on both players. The Sox had a much better chance of signing Robert than Ohtani.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Nov 22, 2017 -> 07:10 PM)
Should have worded that better. If the Sox passed on Robert to make a run at Ohtani and fail to sign him, they miss out on both players. The Sox had a much better chance of signing Robert than Ohtani.

Yea, that sure seemed implied but some posters on this board like to point out "fault" in any opportunity. Hell, I'm sure I do it a lot as well... and in one indirect way, I'm even doing it right now. :lol:

QUOTE (hi8is @ Nov 22, 2017 -> 09:57 PM)
Yea, that sure seemed implied but some posters on this board like to point out "fault" in any opportunity. Hell, I'm sure I do it a lot as well... and in one indirect way, I'm even doing it right now. :lol:

s***, you do it all the time, all day all night, 24/7 just the old days of MTV when they played music videos. :P

Oh look, a baseball nugget ( non-poop form).

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/11/mari...-relievers.html

We want to sell the Seattle experience,” says Dipoto. “What it means to the Japanese-American, our culture and how this organization has trended — and trended so positively — when we have a star Japanese player. And make no mistake — this is a star Japanese player. He’s talented. He’s gifted. He’s going to make some team a lot better.”

" the Seattle experience ": large Japanese community, rain, Jimi Hendrix, rain, plenty of fresh fish markets, rain, grunge music, rain, Sir Mix-a-Lot and more rain. :P

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Nov 23, 2017 -> 04:27 AM)
s***, you do it all the time, all day all night, 24/7 just the old days of MTV when they played music videos. :P

Oh look, a baseball nugget ( non-poop form).

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/11/mari...-relievers.html

" the Seattle experience ": large Japanese community, rain, Jimi Hendrix, rain, plenty of fresh fish markets, rain, grunge music, rain, Sir Mix-a-Lot and more rain. :P

Plus, big time traffic jams on the bridges.