5.24 Game Thread Sox vs Orioles Series Finale, 1:10 first pitch

Giolito right now is a combination of bad stuff and bad command. He doesn't belong in the majors. On BA Draft podcast recently, Manuel mentioned how much better his stuff was in high school than it is now. Kind of a sad realization. 

1 minute ago, maggsmaggs said:

Giolito right now is a combination of bad stuff and bad command. He doesn't belong in the majors. On BA Draft podcast recently, Manuel mentioned how much better his stuff was in high school than it is now. Kind of a sad realization. 

His fastball has lost ~8 MPH and he went from having a 70 CB or so to it being (essentially) a non existent pitch. If he has a successful career it'll either be as a finesse pitcher or reliever.

1 minute ago, bjm676 said:

Maybe, just maybe Gio goes down when Rodon comes back.

Uh, if he pitches like this in his next start, he's probably being sent down. I wouldn't be surprised if they brought up Kopech if he has a real good start his next time out.

8 minutes ago, fathom said:

He needs to be sent down. No different than Fulmer. His fastball absolutely sucks 

Fathom, are you willing to write him off completely? That is what you're doing if you send him down. He only has 1 option left, so it is make the team out of ST next season or DFA him. The Sox really don't have that luxury. He's still a young pitcher so if you're going to punt him it is better to swap him for a similar reclamation project via trade than just releasing him. You are admitting that you don't think he's a major leaguer now and never will be if you send him down. There is nothing to lose here, IMO. The Sox either have to leave him in the majors or punt him and accept he isn't a part of their future. He's going to run into a numbers game next year so there really isn't much time to figure out what they have in him. They aren't trying to win, so why waste the option? 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, maxjusttyped said:

His fastball has lost ~8 MPH and he went from having a 70 CB or so to it being (essentially) a non existent pitch. If he has a successful career it'll either be as a finesse pitcher or reliever.

Good post. In order to be a finesse pitcher, you need good control. He showed that last year, as it's not like he was throwing extremely hard.  To me, he would be a terrible reliever.

Just now, Scoots said:

Uh, if he pitches like this in his next start, he's probably being sent down. I wouldn't be surprised if they brought up Kopech if he has a real good start his next time out.

It sounds like the plan is for Rodon to make this AAA start today and then if he doesn't have any setbacks he's coming up and Gio is going down.

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

Fathom, are you willing to write him off completely? That is what you're doing if you send him down. He only has 1 option left, so it is make the team out of ST next season or DFA him. The Sox really don't have that luxury. He's still a young pitcher so if you're going to punt him it is better to swap him for a similar reclamation project via trade than just releasing him. You are admitting that you don't think he's a major leaguer now and never will be if you send him down. There is nothing to lose here, IMO. The Sox either have to leave him in the majors or punt him and accept he isn't a part of their future. He's going to run into a numbers game next year so there really isn't much time to figure out what they have in him. 

Yes send him down and hope he recovers. Having him up here getting murdered by big leaguers is doing him no good. I also want him to work with the pitching coach that helped him last year when he was struggling.

Just now, bmags said:

The thing that is so maddening about Giolito is it seems like every start is the first time he's ever been in his human body. 

Haha, great post. He leads the league in glances back at his landing spot after a missed location.

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Fathom, are you willing to write him off completely? That is what you're doing if you send him down. He only has 1 option left, so it is make the team out of ST next season or DFA him. The Sox really don't have that luxury. He's still a young pitcher so if you're going to punt him it is better to swap him for a similar reclamation project via trade than just releasing him. You are admitting that you don't think he's a major leaguer now and never will be if you send him down. There is nothing to lose here, IMO. The Sox either have to leave him in the majors or punt him and accept he isn't a part of their future. He's going to run into a numbers game next year so there really isn't much time to figure out what they have in him. They aren't trying to win, so why waste the option? 

There's too much road between now and next season to really worry about any of that.  You can't keep running him out there with these results.  If he doesn't get any better you gotta send him down.

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Haha, great post. He leads the league in glances back at his landing spot after a missed location.

Yeah, like it's the dirt's fault.

I posted that during his Cubs outing. When he throws a strike, it's fine. When he throws a ball, he looks at the ground. Reminds me of the catcher I played with in high school. When he'd throw a runner out, his arm was great. When he'd bounce it in, he'd move his arm in circles, stretching it out. Unreal.

1 minute ago, elrockinMT said:

I wonder if the decreased speed on the fastball isn’t the plan. Cooper values command control over speed and Giolito has no command at this point 

Well Cooper is failing big time if that's true