2018-9 MLB off season free agency thread

southsider2k5

Just now, soxfan2014 said:

Yeah and as much as it sucks, I'd rather roll Engel out there next season than trade any prospects right now. At least he brings defense every day.

I hate this comment so much.  Nothing is more frustrating to me than Engel getting 350+ ABs.  But there's sadly not much alternative.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, NCsoxfan said:

Passan saying we’re the best fit for A.J. Pollock. Thoughts?

Only way I'd consider it is if we get one or both of Machado/Harper. 

If we don't get them, then there's absolutely no reason to go for an oft injured CF in decline for $$$.

And still, the only way I'd get him is if he were cheaper than projected.

8 hours ago, ptatc said:

I don't think this has anything to do with a deadline.  These players will be signed prior to Spring training if anyone wants them. I think it has more to do with clubs fans being more tolerant to rebuilding than a deadline.

The worst thing to happen to the middle range FA was the Cubs and Houston showing that tanking and building from within is really the better option if you don't have a 250 mil payroll. The teams sucked for 4 to 5 years but the fans came back.

I think teams finally understand the excess value in young players on their original 6 years of team control.  Add in the friendly extensions players are signing, and teams have no interest in signing a middle tier FA if they could get 80% of the production from a younger player.

The biggest way to change this lull in free agency is let players get to free agency quicker than 6 years.

3 hours ago, NCsoxfan said:

The draft pick loss sucks for him, but he's probably  going to get close to the same deal Cutch got.  For that, I'd be all over it.  Would be willing to pay a little more if Machado was around as well. 

3 hours ago, NCsoxfan said:

If we sign Machado and Pollock is willing to take something like 3/$49M (I believe we’d only give up a 3rd round pick) then maybe, but would hate going too many years on a guy like him.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

With the pick attached to Pollock and his injury history, I think his value will be much lower than some assume. Look what happened to Moustakas when he hit free agency. 

The Sox are also deep with prospects. Say we need to get rid of him in two years. We have seen how willing teams can be to eat a bad contract if it means getting some prospects in return. 

2 minutes ago, Hot FiRe said:

With the pick attached to Pollock and his injury history, I think his value will be much lower than some assume. Look what happened to Moustakas when he hit free agency. 

The Sox are also deep with prospects. Say we need to get rid of him in two years. We have seen how willing teams can be to eat a bad contract if it means getting some prospects in return. 

Yeah he should probably sign a one year deal with Arizona to prove he is healthy and to not have a QO attached next year.

20 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Yeah he should probably sign a one year deal with Arizona to prove he is healthy and to not have a QO attached next year.

If youre AJ pollock, do you have confidence that you can stay healthy for a year? 

He should take the largest amount of money offered to him. He might never get the chance again. 

31 minutes ago, fathom said:

I like the signing for DRob.  He should do well as most of the NL hasn’t seen his curve.  Wonder if they go after Britton now or the Yankees do.

Always been a fan of his. If we were a team looking for a final big time bullpen piece I'd be all over him.