southsider2k5

NFL Thread 2019-2020

9 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

It's more about 27 vs 30. Age matters in the NFL. Clowney is likely to be productive for a longer period of time. 

Well of course but Quinn's deal is essentially 2 years. I'd rather have Quinn for 2 years at $15/year than Clowney for 2 years at $20/year like he originally wanted.

Edited by soxfan49

If there were actually an NFL season, Newton for $1 million or Foles for what, $20 million this year alone?

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

FedEx has officially asked the Washington football franchise that plays at FedEx field to change their name.

This will be an interesting negotiation. 

9 hours ago, ptatc said:

This will be an interesting negotiation. 

seems more like exerting tremendous pressure rather than a negotiation right now 

1 hour ago, Kyyle23 said:

seems more like exerting tremendous pressure rather than a negotiation right now 

Nike has removed the merchandise of the Washington football franchise from its website, now carrying 29 NFL teams.

2 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

I guess that's more what I meant. I wonder how they will determine the new name? Fan vote?

50 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I guess that's more what I meant. I wonder how they will determine the new name? Fan vote?

I have to imagine at some point In the past decade they have Internally pitched a few different logos that they have ready to go.  Should be interesting to see how this goes, and how it starts to affect similar teams like the Indians, Chiefs and college teams like FSU 

3 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

I have to imagine at some point In the past decade they have Internally pitched a few different logos that they have ready to go.  Should be interesting to see how this goes, and how it starts to affect similar teams like the Indians, Chiefs and college teams like FSU 

The Washington Football Franchise name should have been gone a long time ago and it says a lot that it hasn't been changed.

FSU is interesting because they actually maintain a relationship with the tribe.

Places that Use the Indians...eventually they're going to change because it's just wierd. Unlike the Washington Football Franchise I'll write the name, but do it with some other group and it just becomes odd. "The Seattle Asians" may not be straight up racist but really, no one would be comfortable with that. The Boston Caucasians? 

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

The Washington Football Franchise name should have been gone a long time ago and it says a lot that it hasn't been changed.

FSU is interesting because they actually maintain a relationship with the tribe.

Places that Use the Indians...eventually they're going to change because it's just wierd. Unlike the Washington Football Franchise I'll write the name, but do it with some other group and it just becomes odd. "The Seattle Asians" may not be straight up racist but really, no one would be comfortable with that. The Boston Caucasians? 

I know the Blackhawks have a relationship with the tribe, too. They used to, and still may, perform at intermissions on occasion.

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Come on dude, calling a team the “Indians” is completely different than calling a team the “Asians”.  Not saying it’s an acceptable name or not, but you’re completely ignoring all the context here.

9 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Come on dude, calling a team the “Indians” is completely different than calling a team the “Asians”.  Not saying it’s an acceptable name or not, but you’re completely ignoring all the context here.

The only context is that we’ve been ok with one for a long time. Both are minority groups, neither is the correct name for them, just one of them got used so it sounds normal.

34 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

The only context is that we’ve been ok with one for a long time. Both are minority groups, neither is the correct name for them, just one of them got used so it sounds normal.

Yeah I’m done here, if you honestly can’t see the difference here then no point in me wasting my time.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Yeah I’m done here, if you honestly can’t see the difference here then no point in me wasting my time.

The good news is eventually it will be changed, now I can believe that.

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Just curious, do you have a problem calling a school the fighting Irish because it's not a minority group?

I have a favorite for the new name of the Washington football franchise: the Redtails. Name after the squadron nickname of the Tuskegee airmen. I heard it on the news. I wish I would have come up with it. 

I'm not necessarily a fan of team mascots being named after humans but I like this one.

21 hours ago, ptatc said:

Just curious, do you have a problem calling a school the fighting Irish because it's not a minority group?

I'm iffy about that one. It's somehow both a positive, identifying a group that contributed a lot to the US and that region, but also a stereotype of the Irish as angry drunks. 

I don't have to have a good answer on all of them to be able to say some of them are absolutely wrong. Watching Braves fans doing the "Tomahawk chop" in the 21st century in the playoffs last year was cringe-worthy. I'll admit to being naive about that back in the 20th century when I first watched baseball and not recognizing the legacy that was following on.

Morality and values can change, when they do, when we recognize we were doing something wrong, we should stop doing the wrong thing and do the right thing. Does that apply to the Fighting Irish? I'm not sure today. Maybe tomorrow. Maybe in 10 years. Maybe we'll decide it's fine. We're intelligent beings, we get to draw that line, and we get to move it if we want.

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I'm iffy about that one. It's somehow both a positive, identifying a group that contributed a lot to the US and that region, but also a stereotype of the Irish as angry drunks. 

I don't have to have a good answer on all of them to be able to say some of them are absolutely wrong. Watching Braves fans doing the "Tomahawk chop" in the 21st century in the playoffs last year was cringe-worthy. I'll admit to being naive about that back in the 20th century when I first watched baseball and not recognizing the legacy that was following on.

Morality and values can change, when they do, when we recognize we were doing something wrong, we should stop doing the wrong thing and do the right thing. Does that apply to the Fighting Irish? I'm not sure today. Maybe tomorrow. Maybe in 10 years. Maybe we'll decide it's fine. We're intelligent beings, we get to draw that line, and we get to move it if we want.

I agree. I'm in between on any of the human mascots. It's weird to have any human ones. But I could be persuaded either way.

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

I agree. I'm in between on any of the human mascots. It's weird to have any human ones. But I could be persuaded either way.

I liked the redtails but then hesitated for the same reason. Yeah it's honoring some really awesome people in history, but at the same time do we want them to be "Mascots"? I dunno.