Worried about reylo?

Dominikk85

Pretty terrible start to the season. In two starts he has more walks than Ks and gave up a boatload of homers.

I still think there is K upside though. His slider actually has a good swing and miss rate and if he ramped it up it could cause more Ks albeit probably won't lower the walks.

But of course at his age I understand they want to develope him into a complete pitcher and not into a 40% slider guy like corbin although ultimately that might be his future even if it limits him to be a 5 inning guy.

Edited by dominik-keul@gmx.de

5 hours ago, dominik-keul@gmx.de said:

Pretty terrible start to the season. In two starts he has more walks than Ks and gave up a boatload of homers.

I still think there is K upside though. His slider actually has a good swing and miss rate and if he ramped it up it could cause more Ks albeit probably won't lower the walks.

But of course at his age I understand they want to develope him into a complete pitcher and not into a 40% slider guy like corbin although ultimately that might be his future even if it limits him to be a 5 inning guy.

And 5 inning guys that are actually effective would be perfectly acceptable to teams playing in 2019 and not 1990 like ours.

• Like 1

I still believe in the talent, just concerned Cooper won’t make the most of it.  He’s still too fastball heavy, needs to use the changeup way more, and still have no idea why he gave up on the curveball for the most part.  I think teams like the Astros & Rays would love to get their hands on him because he’s an easy fix IMO.

I also think the cold weather hasn’t helped, but that doesn’t come close to excusing how bad he’s been.

I'm not sure Lopez has the secondary stuff to make it as a starter. He might have one 50+ grade secondary pitch(Changeup) and his breaking balls are below average. He might have enough to be a back end starter if he's throwing 95+ but if not he's a pen arm. This was an unpopular opinion last season and I held it then. I believe and have always believed that Lopez was the 3rd piece in the Eaton trade on upside. If everything went right for Lopez I thought he had a chance to be a Carlos Carrasco #2-3 tweener, but that was unlikely. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

5 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

I'm not sure Lopez has the secondary stuff to make it as a starter. He might have one 50+ grade secondary pitch(Changeup) and his breaking balls are below average. He might have enough to be a back end starter if he's throwing 95+ but if not he's a pen arm. This was an unpopular opinion last season and I held it then. I believe and have always believed that Lopez was the 3rd piece in the Eaton trade on upside. If everything went right for Lopez I thought he had a chance to be a Carlos Carrasco #2-3 tweener, but that was unlikely. 

So he isn’t going to have Giolito’s HoF arsenal?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Blackout Friday said:

So he isn’t going to have Giolito’s HoF arsenal?

All of Giolito's pitches are  at LEAST 55 grade. Giolito's issue is repeating his mechanics. If he figures out how to do that, he's going to be at least a #2 depending on how well he can command the zone. His fastball is a 55 and all 3 of his offspeeds are 60s. That is a HOF arsenal if he knew where the ball was going. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

All of Giolito's pitches are  at LEAST 55 grade. Giolito's issue is repeating his mechanics. If he figures out how to do that, he's going to be at least a #2 depending on how well he can command the zone. His fastball is a 55 and all 3 of his offspeeds are 60s. That is a HOF arsenal if he knew where the ball was going. 

I thought he had a 70fb? Didn’t you say that last year?

If all of his pitches are 55min why should he ditch his curve, as you suggested? Who ditches a 55 curve? 

Please stop trying to be a scout. I’ve worked in scouting. I’ve been down that road. It’s fun for a while, but it sucks once that while is done. Just try and enjoy the game. Scouting isn’t for you. 

• Thanks 1

I remember Lopez having an absolute dominant start when he was with the Nationals. I think he struck out 11 in 6 innings against the Braves. So the potential is obviously there. It just appears like the Sox won't get the most out of him. In fact he's regressed since the Sox traded for him, which is really telling. And not in a good way.

Just now, Whitesox27 said:

I remember Lopez having an absolute dominant start when he was with the Nationals. I think he struck out 11 in 6 innings against the Braves. So the potential is obviously there. It just appears like the Sox won't get the most out of him. In fact he's regressed since the Sox traded for him, which is really telling. And not in a good way.

His stuff was the same, the braves just weren’t prepped on him and weren’t good at the time. They missed a lot of hittable pitches. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Blackout Friday said:

I thought he had a 70fb? Didn’t you say that last year?

If all of his pitches are 55min why should he ditch his curve, as you suggested? Who ditches a 55 curve? 

Please stop trying to be a scout. I’ve worked in scouting. I’ve been down that road. It’s fun for a while, but it sucks once that while is done. Just try and enjoy the game. Scouting isn’t for you. 

I don't mean ditching the curve all together, just on a start by start basis. I said if he was sitting at 95-96 it was a 70. At 93-94 it is a 55 or 60. For starters (especially RHP) that have both a curve and slider they should go with whichever pitch hitter are having a more difficult time with on and individual start basis. 

5 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I don't mean ditching the curve all together, just on a start by start basis. I said if he was sitting at 95-96 it was a 70. At 93-94 it is a 55 or 60. For starters (especially RHP) that have both a curve and slider they should go with whichever pitch hitter are having a more difficult time with on and individual start basis. 

First off, sorry.. I reread my post and I sounded like a dick. 

But if you are going to assign grades, with mlb guys especially, you need to factor in the highs and lows. It’s movement, velocity, deception, overall ability to execute. I would say Shane Bieber has a 60+fb and reylo is 55, despite throwing harder.  Gio has a 45/50fb and is a fringe starter/swingman. If I was giving him a fresh look and didn’t know his pedigree I wouldn’t give him a second thought  

Every pitcher looks elite when everything is working. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Blackout Friday said:

First off, sorry.. I reread my post and I sounded like a dick. 

But if you are going to assign grades, with mlb guys especially, you need to factor in the highs and lows. It’s movement, velocity, deception, overall ability to execute. I would say Shane Bieber has a 60+fb and reylo is 55, despite throwing harder.  Gio has a 45/50fb and is a fringe starter/swingman. If I was giving him a fresh look and didn’t know his pedigree I wouldn’t give him a second thought  

Every pitcher looks elite when everything is working. 

Strongly disagree. Gio has awesome stuff. The stuff isn't the issue with him, it is the command and control. He has 45 control and 40 command and that is why he looks worse to you. The stuff  is there. Knowing where it is going isn't. 

8 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Strongly disagree. Gio has awesome stuff. The stuff isn't the issue with him, it is the command and control. He has 45 control and 40 command and that is why he looks worse to you. The stuff  is there. Knowing where it is going isn't. 

I wish Giolito had as much confidence in himself as you do.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Moncada said:

No worries (other then Coop needs to be fired ASAP).  Rey just need the weather to warm up and I think he will turn it around.  He hasn't pitched yet in a game over 39 degrees I think. 

I was at his start last Friday, I would say the game was in the low 50s, at least while he was still in.

13 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

I wish Giolito had as much confidence in himself as you do.

I don't even think it is a confidence problem. His issues are physical. He has problems repeating his delivery since the Nationals messed with it and he's been trying to find it again. He just needs to stick with something and it will come. Be patient. If he has any confidence issues, it's the confidence that his delivery is correct. Once he doesn't have to think about his delivery I have a feeling he's going to get the extra couple ticks back on his fastball. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

I don't even think it is a confidence problem. His issues are physical. He has problems repeating his delivery since the Nationals messed with it and he's been trying to find it again. He just needs to stick with something and it will come. Be patient. If he has any confidence issues, it's the confidence that his delivery is correct. Once he doesn't have to think about his delivery I have a feeling he's going to get the extra couple ticks back on his fastball. 

The best I’ve seen his fastball is 94-95 and razor straight. That’s a 45/50 fastball if I’ve ever seen one. 

17 hours ago, soxfan2014 said:

I'm not going to worry over a 3-game sample size (with any of our guys). Ask me again in the summer.

Edit: same goes on the hitting side after only 2 weeks.

You are the exception rather than the rule around here, unfortunately. 2 weeks into the season here and 1 week in the minors and everyone is a failure except Robert and Moncada .