White Sox worst AL team in the last decade

reiks12

The Astros have a .475 winning percentage but went to the World Series twice. Same with the .472 Royals.

Moral of the story, winning percentage over a decade isn’t the best metric.

Edit: We’ve also sucked, that’s also true.

Edited by hi8is
Had to mention that we sucked

The numbers in this case don't lie unfortunately.

One thing I was thinking about recently is that early on at least Sox fans could reasonably expect the team to win more than they lost at the end of the year. Low bar I grant you, but at least it was something. From 1981 through 2006, 26 years the Sox had winning seasons in 16 of them (1981,82,83,85,90,91,92,93,94,96,00,01,03,04,05,06) with some good runs there. (81-85, 90-94, 00-06)

From 2007 through 2018, 12 seasons they'd only been on the plus side of the ledger three times (08,10,12). 

Yea...things have really gone south over time.  

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

The numbers in this case don't lie unfortunately.

One thing I was thinking about recently is that early on at least Sox fans could reasonably expect the team to win more than they lost at the end of the year. Low bar I grant you, but at least it was something. From 1981 through 2006, 26 years the Sox had winning seasons in 16 of them (1981,82,83,85,90,91,92,93,94,96,00,01,03,04,05,06) with some good runs there. (81-85, 90-94, 00-06)

From 2007 through 2018, 12 seasons they'd only been on the plus side of the ledger three times (08,10,12). 

Yea...things have really gone south over time.  

“Winning seasons” - PHOOEY!

This is the 60th season since the Sox went to the World Series in ‘59, and the team has been to the postseason just five times since 1959, and not once in over a decade now.  

Meanwhile, this year, our neighbors on the north side will likely make their fifth straight playoff appearance in a row since 2015.  

And who says we don’t desperately need a new owner and entirely different front office!

• Like 1

And yet most modern fans don't care. We're losing on purpose in order to build a roster so outstanding we'll run away with the division sooner rather than later, then dominate the playoffs and Series as well.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, reiks12 said:

Post from /r/baseball.

Our .461 winning percentage (709-829) is dead last in the American League. Only the Marlins have a worse record, but its close.

Hoping the next decade sees us near the top!

Screenshot_20190630-223123_Chrome.jpg

Goes hand-in-hand with terrible ownership.

"Organizations win championships" so says the Chairman.

Well lousy ones don't.

1 hour ago, GradMc said:

Well lousy ones don't.

It actually doesn’t. It has been mentioned before: Houston has an under .500 record and a ring. The Yankees are way over .500 and only have 1. In case it wasn’t obvious to you, we are on the Houston model

7 hours ago, greg775 said:

And yet most modern fans don't care. We're losing on purpose in order to build a roster so outstanding we'll run away with the division sooner rather than later, then dominate the playoffs and Series as well.

Actually modern fans do care. These results are exactly why they wanted the rebuild. Going for it every season was clearly not working. These 10 year results are only partially during the rebuild. Also you mentioned Burger is a reason you don't like the draft... if we had lost a couple more games we could've had a better pick and not had to take Burger who was a clear step down from everybody chosen before him.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Eloy Jiménez said:

It actually doesn’t. It has been mentioned before: Houston has an under .500 record and a ring. The Yankees are way over .500 and only have 1. In case it wasn’t obvious to you, we are on the Houston model

Actually  we are not. Houston got a new owner who hired a new GM who hired a new manager for the 2012 season. They struggled the first 3 years and now have had 4 straight winning seasons. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Eloy Jiménez said:

Wrong.  In case it wasn’t obvious to you after last offseason’s debacle, we are not on Houston or any other team’s model.  We operate on Jerry Reinsdorf’s model and his model alone.  Have for 39 years now, and will continue to do so until the team is (finally!) sold.   

Edited by Fan O'Faust
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, hi8is said:

The Astros have a .475 winning percentage but went to the World Series twice. Same with the .472 Royals.

Moral of the story, winning percentage over a decade isn’t the best metric.

Edit: We’ve also sucked, that’s also true.

Not arguing there, but we are one of the most miserable and negative fanbases. I think there is a correlation 

I wonder how all the losing has affected our younger fan base. Do little kids on the South Side still stick up for the Sox in arguments with their peers about Cubs vs. Sox. Or have the Sox lost all its younger fanbase?

9 hours ago, greg775 said:

I wonder how all the losing has affected our younger fan base. Do little kids on the South Side still stick up for the Sox in arguments with their peers about Cubs vs. Sox. Or have the Sox lost all its younger fanbase?

Being a Sox fan in Chicago is still a cultural thing. The issue is losing does nothing for the casual fan.  That’s where losing hurts. Die hard fans will likely be there regardless but they don’t fill a stadium every night

Edited by Eloy Jiménez

18 hours ago, GradMc said:

Well lousy ones don't.

Actually the Chairman didn't make that comment I(although I'm sure he believes it). That comment was made by Jerry Krause. 

22 hours ago, SCCWS said:

Actually  we are not. Houston got a new owner who hired a new GM who hired a new manager for the 2012 season. They struggled the first 3 years and now have had 4 straight winning seasons. 

Houston had a complete culture change (new GM, new manager), White Sox had a complete culture change (new rebuild, new manager)

Houston played poorly for a number of seasons and accrued high draft picks, White Sox played poorly and accrued high draft picks

The difference is the White Sox were able to trade valuable assets for future talent.  

If the trend is any indication, the White Sox are approaching the upswing in performance in a similar fashion to what the Cubs and Astros did.

So what I said was mostly accurate.  

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Eloy Jiménez said:

Houston had a complete culture change (new GM, new manager), White Sox had a complete culture change (new rebuild, new manager)

Houston played poorly for a number of seasons and accrued high draft picks, White Sox played poorly and accrued high draft picks

The difference is the White Sox were able to trade valuable assets for future talent.  

If the trend is any indication, the White Sox are approaching the upswing in performance in a similar fashion to what the Cubs and Astros did.

So what I said was mostly accurate.  

But you left out the biggest part for Houston, Luhnow and their push for analytics vs. traditional scouting metrics.

Secondly, their new manager was Stanford-educated and was also quick about embracing the analytics field after his first managerial failure.