Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
WBWSF

WSI

Recommended Posts

A friend of mine told me that WSI is no longer around.  Is that true? Gee, what a loss if its true. I don't know why anybody would possibly post over there.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, wegner said:

Is this thread supposed to be in teal? :)

That's seafoam green, not teal.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Quin said:

I hope they weren't stealing bandwidth.

Why would they need to steal bandwidth? That place has like 3 people posting. :D

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Why would they need to steal bandwidth? That place has like 3 people posting. :D

You still one of them Dirty? :lol: (took you a while to see the light)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dislike forums with tiny print duh. Those hacking messages have been there for months. Maybe they forgot to pay rent. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DirtySox said:

Why would they need to steal bandwidth? That place has like 3 people posting. :D

I thought they were having the 3 posters pay for the bandwidth needs...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

You still one of them Dirty? :lol: (took you a while to see the light)

Naw. Haven't posted there in years. I might be banned in fact?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, WBWSF said:

A friend of mine told me that WSI is no longer around.  Is that true? Gee, what a loss if its true. I don't know why anybody would possibly post over there.

No big loss anymore. Due to some kind of internal dispute, the front page of the site hasn't been changed in seven years. I remember when it was founded 20 years ago and was about three total pages. It went through changes and grew tremendously. Now it isn't much.

There were still some good fans who posted there but there weren't all that many during the last few years. Mostly fans calling other fans "dark clouds," or posting an illustration with a chicken running and the sky falling. The site used to have game recaps but that hasn't happened this season. They stopped starting threads any time the White Sox lost.

The fact is if you weren't some kind of cheerleader, you weren't wanted there. And it showed with many abandoning the site.

The basic concept of WSI was good. It was a place for Sox fans to voice their opinions and vent. There were other features that documented the history of the team. But at times, I think people running the site feared offending the White Sox. If it is a fan site, it is a fan site.

WSI was an ambitious project and had a good run. I was treated well by some there. But its time has passed. 

What would really be interesting would be a fan site that covered the team like a media outlet and did it with objectivity. Give fans some power.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

No big loss anymore. Due to some kind of internal dispute, the front page of the site hasn't been changed in seven years. I remember when it was founded 20 years ago and was about three total pages. It went through changes and grew tremendously. Now it isn't much.

There were still some good fans who posted there but there weren't all that many during the last few years. Mostly fans calling other fans "dark clouds," or posting an illustration with a chicken running and the sky falling. The site used to have game recaps but that hasn't happened this season. They stopped starting threads any time the White Sox lost.

The fact is if you weren't some kind of cheerleader, you weren't wanted there. And it showed with many abandoning the site.

The basic concept of WSI was good. It was a place for Sox fans to voice their opinions and vent. There were other features that documented the history of the team. But at times, I think people running the site feared offending the White Sox. If it is a fan site, it is a fan site.

WSI was an ambitious project and had a good run. I was treated well by some there. But its time has passed. 

What would really be interesting would be a fan site that covered the team like a media outlet and did it with objectivity. Give fans some power.

 

Like, say, futuresox and chicagosportsnow

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

Sounds like WSI is in the.....roadhouse 

 

B3A4A7CB-AD1D-47FC-AB07-ABC09F44D4AB.jpeg

I can hear the scream right now.  😂

It sucks that they got hacked but the best and most knowledgeable Sox fans are here.  I don’t always agree with everyone here and vice versa but no one bans me for my posts.  You guys may rip on me for my posts but that is to be expected and sometimes deserved.  👍

Edited by Moan4Yoan
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You have been banned for the following reason:
Now you're happy - don't have to deal with us Mods anymore

Date the ban will be lifted: Never

 

That's what happens when I log in.  I don't even remember what I did. For all I know someone might have logged into my account.  There was no way to dispute it.  I think the site was too sensitive and people would be banned left and right.  Instead of banning they should have removed posts/threads and give warnings.   Eventually you run out of members.   I would not be surprised this is a retaliation from a member or former member.   Do I feel sorry for them? Not really.  They made their own bed. Lay in it. One of the former mods is now on this site and followed the same over-moderation at WSI. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, kitekrazy said:

So how many of you are WSI refugees? 

I lurked there and here for years. I had the same account name at both in 2003. Don't remember what it is. Stopped going there in '04 or '05.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Nardiwashere said:

What does stealing bandwith mean?

Logging into someone's router or server.   It's also a false claim.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, almagest said:

I lurked there and here for years. I had the same account name at both in 2003. Don't remember what it is. Stopped going there in '04 or '05.

I'm talking about the members who were removed.

The other thing I didn't like is you had to register using your email account from your ISP.   I never use my ISP email for forums. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to occasionally lurk over there, and on rare occasions, I'd post. There were still some decent posters there. I hope those people find their way over here. I gradually shifted the majority of my posting from there to here over the years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I started off on WSI and was a lurker here for years before signing up. Started seeing much better discussions here and jumped ship. Wish I would have done it sooner. I wasn't even around on here for 2005, and I wish I had been. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

I started off on WSI and was a lurker here for years before signing up. Started seeing much better discussions here and jumped ship. Wish I would have done it sooner. I wasn't even around on here for 2005, and I wish I had been. 

Yup. I started lurking on WSI in 2003, started posting in ST 05, joined here following the 05 season. I'd say most of my posting was over here by the beginning of this decade. I wish I found ST before I found WSI because the 05 season would have been much more enjoyable if I was here instead of there. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember starting a thread that complained about the Sox not getting runners home from third with less than two outs. They almost deleted it. I still don't see why they were threatened. They acted as if I was slandering someone. I was only tired of runners dropping dead on third base. I think that would concern most fans.

I also know the White Sox and other major league teams were not happy when the internet started taking off and fan sites were starting to become popular. It was information they couldn't control. True, but WSI, in its sometimes strange way, helped promote interest in the team. WSI was just too strange.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×