A Realistic Offseason

BamaDoc

Just now, BackDoorBreach said:

He put up 2.8 WAR last year while playing 140 games in the field and only 11 at DH.  I think the defense thing is a little over blown.

I'd also rather have a team that rakes then a bunch of Yolmers.  Dude won a GG and might get non-tendered because he can't hit.  

Watched Castellanos play defense for the Cubs and he wasn’t good, but not nearly as bad as I hoped he would be.

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

Watched Castellanos play defense for the Cubs and he wasn’t good, but not nearly as bad as I hoped he would be.

Yeah I watched a lot too. I never saw him do anything that made me think he was some awful liability.

His offensive numbers would be closer to what he did with the Cubs than Detroit as well since that park is dog shit.

18 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

Yeah I watched a lot too. I never saw him do anything that made me think he was some awful liability.

His offensive numbers would be closer to what he did with the Cubs than Detroit as well since that park is dog shit.

In the last three years, he's graded out as the third worst defensive player in major league baseball. I'm not saying that metric is 10000% accurate but I tend to think it means he's likely really horrible.

44 minutes ago, fathom said:

I think we can find someone who can hit more than a few homers with the juiced ball. We’re already going to give a ton of at bats to Madrigal anyways.

Madrigal will be a fan favorite for the next 10 years.  A guy who really can play small ball and do everything except hit homers.

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

It may be used with or without placemats, depending on the degree of formality employed by the place setting. One school of thought states that charger plates are meant simply to act as placeholders until the actual china plates are brought to the table.

wat

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

That would be such a pathetic offseason all things considered.

I’m just looking for above average core players for the next 2-3 years. Castellanos and Wheeler are my favorites with JDM not an option.  Go get them, Jason Castro, Encarnacion and a few relievers (to go with Abreu)

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

I’m just looking for above average core players for the next 2-3 years. Castellanos and Wheeler are my favorites with JDM not an option.  Go get them, Jason Castro, Encarnacion and a few relievers (to go with Abreu)

I’m not against Castellanos now that we aren’t tied up to José for 2+ years, but I still prefer Grandal and would definitely be pissed if Keuchel is our big rotation addition.

I would be willing to go with Gregorious as well...just because he gives you so much more positional versatility than either Castellanos or Encarnacion.

I'm at the point where Wheeler, Grandal, Castellanos/Moustakas/Gregorious, cheap fill-in RF for one year and one more reliever is the VERY best that could be hoped for.

Reality is probably that we only get ONE of those four hitters...the cheap RF fill-in, and a veteran who has been around the block in the Albers/Soria mode for the bullpen.

That's where we are left scrambling between guys like Dozier, Schoop, Kendrick, Gennett, etc.

I feel bad for saying this because many of you are excited, but we aren't getting Grandal. There will be 6 teams fighting for him and we probably won't be one of them. The reason many of us wanted JDM is because he is a great hitter who had essentially zero options but us. I think we go from JDM to Edwin. Nick Castellanos is just too bad defensively. 

Edited by SonofaRoache

14 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I feel bad for saying this because many of you are excited, but we aren't getting Grandal. There will be 6 teams fighting for him and we probably won't be one of them. The reason many of us wanted JDM is because he is a great hitter who had essentially zero options but us. I think we go from JDM to Edwin. Nick Castellanos is just too bad defensively. 

I think we have as good of a chance as any with Grandal, but there will definitely be a lot of teams in the mix.  Seems like it will mostly be small to mid market teams in the mix.

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think we have as good of a chance as any with Grandal, but there will definitely be a lot of teams in the mix.  Seems like it will mostly be small to mid market teams in the mix.

For example, the ASTROS.

Chirinos is a free agent.  If you had to choose between the White Sox and Astros, it wouldn't be a tough call.