Jonathan Villar traded to the Marlins

ChiSox59

The more I think about this move the more it smells like price collusion by the owners.

This guy is a skilled player, 4.0 WAR player last year from what I understand.

SOMEONE has to step  up and take him on. That's just ridiculous. 

F*** it, the White Sox should do it. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

The more I think about this move the more it smells like price collusion by the owners.

I guess is very few clubs project him to be worth 4 wins in 2020.  That being said, I’m shocked not a single team would take him for 1/$10M.

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I guess is very few clubs project him to be worth 4 wins in 2020.  That being said, I’m shocked not a single team would take him for 1/$10M.

IF he could match those 40 SB's, 20+ HR's and .270 BA he's an intriguing player. 

1 hour ago, iWiN4PreP said:

I wonder if you could throw him in RF..

2 hours ago, Lillian said:

He's a nice power/speed combination and switch hitter. Do you think his arm is good enough to move him to RF? If so, he might be an intriguing option, at $10 Million, with no long term commitment and no loss of a draft pick. He was especially good as a LH hitter: .280  .354  .465.

Here is a quote from an article, which appeared today:

This is the one storyline I’m eager to see come to a conclusion soon. I’m also a bit shocked that there are no takers for Villar who is coming off a 4.0 fWAR season in which he stole 40 bases and hit a career-high 24 home runs. Non-tendering Villar, despite his projected $10 million salary for next season, shouldn’t be an option on December 2nd. I’m all aboard the rebuild and support a lot of the moves already made by this organization, but if no one takes Villar this week, paying him his salary and plugging him back in the lineup should be the only option.

With the northside team looking for a 2B I wonder if they might be interested.

9 minutes ago, Saufley said:

With the northside team looking for a 2B I wonder if they might be interested.

Honestly, there should be a LOT of teams looking at him.

He's the third ranked fantasy baseball 2b for crying out loud. Sure, you can argue that maybe he should be more like #5, but whatever, and sure you can say that fantasy baseball doesn't always represent real baseball, but shit, this isn't a scrub this is a stud. 

These are the types of moves I'd make no doubt as a GM. Grab him for nothing, and if you want, trade him at the deadline for a nice piece back! 

Edited by iWiN4PreP

9 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Honestly, there should be a LOT of teams looking at him.

He's the third ranked fantasy baseball 2b for crying out loud. Sure, you can argue that maybe he should be more like #5, but whatever, and sure you can say that fantasy baseball doesn't always represent real baseball, but shit, this isn't a scrub this is a stud. 

These are the types of moves I'd make no doubt as a GM. Grab him for nothing, and if you want, trade him at the deadline for a nice piece back! 

Agree! If he can be close to 2019 numbers with 40 SB, 20+  HR and  a .270 BA he'd look good in a lot of lineups.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GreenSox said:

They can get a better RF cheaper than 10Mill per annum.

He's had his moments in the IF, but not consistently.

Can they?  I know I haven't been super impressed with the options.  Who, in your view is better, and cheaper?  And again, I think the 10 mil is expensive for him.  But he would certainly be a dangerous guy to have in the lineup in a couple of ways.  Not that I'd expect him to hit 24 HRs again, but if he hits 15 and can steal 40 bases, that is a dynamic combination.  

3 hours ago, Eminor3rd said:

If the Reds don't end up with him, Idk what they're doing.

I feel like I read somewhere recently that when a player in placed on outright waivers in the offseason, the opposite league gets first dibs. Is that accurate?  Seems like a strange rule to flipflop in the offseason, and cannot see to locate anything confirming or denying that.  I may have read it here.  

If he has to clear the AL first, I'd be a tad surprised if he made it to the Reds.  

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

I feel like I read somewhere recently that when a player in placed on outright waivers in the offseason, the opposite league gets first dibs. Is that accurate?  Seems like a strange rule to flipflop in the offseason, and cannot see to locate anything confirming or denying that.  I may have read it here.  

If he has to clear the AL first, I'd be a tad surprised if he made it to the Reds.  

You're right about that, but I don't see a fit in the AL.

Edited by Eminor3rd

22 minutes ago, ron883 said:

No teams in the AL need a multi positional infielder who just put up a 4 WAR season? I find that hard to believe.

Who then? Keep in mind he's not a 4 win player unless he's playing SS. Projected 97 wRC+ via Steamer. And he's a one year player and costs $10M. Who ya got?

Edited by Eminor3rd

13 hours ago, Lillian said:

Once Robert and Madrigal are called up, there will only be one spot open in the lineup. Therefore, either Villar, or someone switching positions with him, would have to fill the RF hole, or acquiring him wouldn't make much sense. Given his speed, perhaps he could play CF, moving Robert to RF, for one year. Another possibility would be to let him play 3RD, moving Moncada to RF. We know that Yoan has the arm to play there. The best option would be to play Villar in RF, but we don't know if that is feasible. The point is that if you acquire Villar, you should not have to spend additional money on another regular position player. Therefore, the remaining money could be allocated for a 5TH starter and another reliever. Moreover, I'm not convinced that the payroll ceiling is $130 Million. That is merely conjecture. 

Here's one more option, which I left out of the list of possibilities: Let him play 2ND, and keep Madrigal at AAA most of the season. If the Sox are not in the race, he might be decent trade bait, at the trade deadline. That would delay Madrigal's service time, reduce the overall cost of Villar and perhaps even net a prospect. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Here's one more option, which I left out of the list of possibilities: Let him play 2ND, and keep Madrigal at AAA most of the season. If the Sox are not in the race, he might be decent trade bait, at the trade deadline. That would delay Madrigal's service time, reduce the overall cost of Villar and perhaps even net a prospect. 

Like the player (Villar) but not this option.

1 hour ago, Lillian said:

This is a horrible idea.  What exactly would you be trying to accomplish with this plan?

3 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Are you assuming Madrigal comes up soon after the service time deadline?

Yeah I think so, his bat is major league ready.  Unless they want him working on swing changes to generate more power (which I don’t think is the case) there is zero reason for him to be down in AAA once the service time manipulation is complete.