Kopech and post TJ in general

BamaDoc

1 hour ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Merkin suspects Kopech will start 2020 in Charlotte...

https://www.mlb.com/whitesox/news/inbox-white-sox-2020-outlook

“I suspect he will open with Triple-A Charlotte, but he shouldn’t be there longer than April.”

These are the quotes I've found as well.  From a development stand point I disagree but I get it.

4 minutes ago, ptatc said:

These are the quotes I've found as well.  From a development stand point I disagree but I get it.

I think most people here were right when they predicted last summer that the Sox would use the surgery recovery as an excuse to regain a year of control over Kopech, whether it’s the right or wrong move for his development.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

1 minute ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I think most people here were right when they predicted last summer that the Sox would use the surgery recovery as an excuse to regain a year of control over Kopech, whether it’s the right or wrong move for his development.

Yep. As I said I get it. I think I was one of the few advocating for him to be up much earlier than he was.  In this case the service time is an over riding factor. 

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Yep. As I said I get it. I think I was one of the few advocating for him to be up much earlier than he was.  In this case the service time is an over riding factor. 

Not the end of the world if Hahn adds a good starter.  But I’m not so sure they can count on Rodon for much.

9 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Not the end of the world if Hahn adds a good starter.  But I’m not so sure they can count on Rodon for much.

No doubt they need a starter.

I think rodon will be a good addition at the end of July or early August. 

1 minute ago, MeanJoeCrede said:

I think we figured out its May 23rd if I remember correctly. 41 days of service time in 2018. He needs to be on the roster for 130 days or less this year to get the year of control back.

Sounds about right.  I did the math a few weeks ago, but didn't care to do it again.  Remember it being May 20 something tho.  

Ugh.  Is two months of Dylan Covey worth the extra year of control for Kopech?  While I detest the practice with position players, I get it.  With pitchers, you're going to use some of the bullets in Kopech's arm in Charlotte on the chance that he'll be healthy and effective in 2026?  That's not a sure thing by any means.  

12 hours ago, Timmy U said:

Ugh.  Is two months of Dylan Covey worth the extra year of control for Kopech?  While I detest the practice with position players, I get it.  With pitchers, you're going to use some of the bullets in Kopech's arm in Charlotte on the chance that he'll be healthy and effective in 2026?  That's not a sure thing by any means.  

This is the way I look at it as well with the addition of the development impedance. 

13 hours ago, Timmy U said:

Covey will not be starting games for the White Sox unless people get injured.  I promise you.  

Wost case, they'll sign 2 of Gio Gonzalez, Alex Wood, Julio Tehran, Collin McHugh, Nova, or Smyly before they give Covey any 2020 starts.  

40 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Covey will not be starting games for the White Sox unless people get injured.  I promise you.  

Wost case, they'll sign 2 of Gio Gonzalez, Alex Wood, Julio Tehran, Collin McHugh, Nova, or Smyly before they give Covey any 2020 starts.  

I also don't want to watch 2 years of Collin McHugh or Julio Tehran, etc.  We simply disagree on the strategy.  Holding Kopech down to claw back the year is tantamount to admitting that you're not fully competing in 2020.  I don't prefer that.

1 minute ago, Timmy U said:

I also don't want to watch 2 years of Collin McHugh or Julio Tehran, etc.  We simply disagree on the strategy.  Holding Kopech down to claw back the year is tantamount to admitting that you're not fully competing in 2020.  I don't prefer that.

I don't think those guys are getting two years.  Disagree all you'd like on Kopech - it is what is going to happen, so best to prepare yourself.  The guy has a limited amount of innings he'll be able to pitch in 2020, and I'd rather them occur from June-September than April-July.  Getting the year back is gravy.  

• 1 month later...

Something interesting from the Athletic article today:

Kopech isn't on an innings cap, per se:

Rather than the now-archaic idea of a simple innings cap, the White Sox will monitor Kopech’s pitch data for signs of decline and fatigue to decide when to pull the reins on his 2020 season. But it’s also clear they’re planning on tilting his schedule toward a delayed arrival in Chicago, rather than an early shutdown.

“He’ll start the season as a normal guy,” head trainer Brian Ball said. “We’re going to try to take pressure back away from him. He knows the plan. I’m not making any announcements but we’re not looking for him to be on the Opening Day roster necessarily. We don’t want to put a lot of pressure on him at this point. We want him to go out and pitch, be comfortable.”

8 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Rather than the now-archaic idea of a simple innings cap, the White Sox will monitor Kopech’s pitch data for signs of decline and fatigue to decide when to pull the reins on his 2020 season. But it’s also clear they’re planning on tilting his schedule toward a delayed arrival in Chicago, rather than an early shutdown.

“He’ll start the season as a normal guy,” head trainer Brian Ball said. “We’re going to try to take pressure back away from him. He knows the plan. I’m not making any announcements but we’re not looking for him to be on the Opening Day roster necessarily. We don’t want to put a lot of pressure on him at this point. We want him to go out and pitch, be comfortable.”

The innings cap will be more related to the innings he's pitched in a season prior to this year more than the surgical rehab.

30 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

The thing is pitching in 32 degree weather in April and May in Chicago is not a great option.  I like easing him in.  I understand it gets an option year back but it also makes sense.

This is true for any healthy pitcher. Kopech's pitching in Arizona in the Fall showed that he had no issues recovering from surgery.

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

God I hope the new CBA does away with the service time games.  It's so bad for the fans and young players.   Kopech knows the drill but man it's gotta be frustrating.

There will always be some type of issue as long as any promotion/free agency/arbitration is tied to time. There has to be a cutoff at some point. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Nope, because he will start the second week of June, rendering a cap meaningless. They want the extra year back. 

On 12/17/2019 at 2:41 PM, MeanJoeCrede said:

I think we figured out its May 23rd if I remember correctly. 41 days of service time in 2018. He needs to be on the roster for 130 days or less this year to get the year of control back.

On 12/17/2019 at 2:42 PM, ChiSox59 said:

Sounds about right.  I did the math a few weeks ago, but didn't care to do it again.  Remember it being May 20 something tho.  

Kopech would need to miss around 57 calendar days from Opening Day to not exceed 172 service time days in 2020, which would be May 21st - if I am doing my math right.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EloyJenkins said:

That is way too late imo. Just lose the year if he is 100%. 

It's not too bad imo.  He's only going to miss about 7 starts.  He wasn't ever going to pitch more than 140 innings anyways so might as well just keep him down in ST an extra couple weeks, let him slowly ramp up on side games then send him to Charlotte in late April and let him make 4-6 starts down there and then he's up with the big club.