Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
SonofaRoache

How good do YOU think we can be next season?

Recommended Posts

The talk is we are between an 80 and 87 win team at the moment. Many think we can't catch the Twins because we finished 28 games behind them past year, and that we'd have to see significant progress from our youngsters. I agree, but a some things should be factored in. 

1. We were nearly a .500 club at the break last year.

2. That losing streak after the break was the main reason our record tanked. We hot swept in 4 games by the Royals of all teams.

3. We had a ton of injuries. 

4. We had 7 players playing regularly that had no business doing so.

5. We don't have a major weakness. Our bullpen will get much better as well.

6. Our main guys should produce more positive results than last season. 

7. Detroit and KC suck bad and we should fare better against Cleveland and Minny. 

 

If we can stay relatively healthy and progress a little, I don't see why we can't win 90 games next season. The Twins were able to catch Cleveland by upgrading their roster and I think we can do the same. Enjoy the good times!

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

The talk is we are between an 80 and 87 win team at the moment. Many think we can't catch the Twins because we finished 28 games behind them past year, and that we'd have to see significant progress from our youngsters. I agree, but a some things should be factored in. 

1. We were nearly a .500 club at the break last year.

2. That losing streak after the break was the main reason our record tanked. We hot swept in 4 games by the Royals of all teams.

3. We had a ton of injuries. 

4. We had 7 players playing regularly that had no business doing so.

5. We don't have a major weakness. Our bullpen will get much better as well.

6. Our main guys should produce more positive results than last season. 

7. Detroit and KC suck bad and we should fare better against Cleveland and Minny. 

 

If we can stay relatively healthy and progress a little, I don't see why we can't win 90 games next season. The Twins were able to catch Cleveland by upgrading their roster and I think we can do the same. Enjoy the good times!

I don't really want to make a numbers prediction, but I want to highlight points 4 and 5. This is HUGE.

Some people have expressed disappointment that we got mid-tier free agents this offseason and not stars. First off, I'll ignore the fact that Grandal is one of the best catchers in baseball and Zack Wheeler has POTENTIAL to be a star but isn't actually one, yet. I never thought this team needed to add stars. Moncada, Gio and Timmy are already there, Jimenez is borderline and probably secures the label this year, and Robert, Madrigal, Kopech, Cease, and Vaughn are waiting in the wings. That's far more actual star power than, say, the 2005 team had.

Our problem last year was weaknesses (which the 2005 team had almost none of). CF, RF, 2B, DH, most of our rotation, those were all enormous holes. We needed to fill them. Now we have.

So yeah, I think this team will be very good and only bound to get better.

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly, I think they could be really good.  They will start the team as a competitive team.  With probably Edwin and Grandal being our 4 and 5 hitters and Keuchel and Gio being our 2-3 starters.

If everything goes right (which it probably won't), the middle of the order by June or July could be Robert-Moncada-Abreu-Eloy with Edwin and Grandal hitting 6 and 7. Wow would that be a deep and dangerous lineup.  The order may not even matter that much in the middle, as they could have just a bunch of guys that can mash.

In the rotation, Keuchel and Gio could legitimately be our 4 and 5 starters before too long.  With Giolito, Kopech and Cease in front of them.  When Rodon comes back, he may even force Gio out of the rotation (though I am an advocate of putting Rodon in the pen where I think he could stay healthier and just dominate). 

The most important question is can this team challenge the Yankees in a 7 game series.  

Things would have to go right, but I think they could.  Having said that, I am so high on the futures of Kopech, Robert, Moncada and Eloy.  I think Kopech has ace (as in one of the best few pitchers in baseball ace, not best guy on a particular team ace) potential.  Put that with what Giolito has shown himself to be and that is a dangerous combination.  

With Robert, the sky is the limit.  I wouldn't be surprised, if as a rookie (at least if he is up early) hits .265 with 35 doubles and 30 HRs.  Not that I am expecting that, but I don't think it is out of the question either.   

Moncada is probably the most complete player on the team, and with a couple years of experience now, could be a legit candidate for an MVP, not saying he will be better than Trout, but he can do everything.  If he improves just a little bit, he is an elite player.

Once he got his feet under him, and his injuries behind him, Eloy mashed.  His September was truly monstrous, and if that is a window into the hitter he can be, yikes.

Having those three in the lineup with veterans like Abreu, Grandal and Edwin, and that is a tough group to face.

I haven't even mentioned Tim, who is a completely dynamic player who is just scraping the surface of his talents and entering his prime.  I wouldn't be surprised if he hit 25 HRs and 40 doubles next season.  I am a bit curious to where in the lineup he hits, but wherever that is, I know Tim will hit and hit and hit.  

The pitching will determine how good they can be.  The offense will be good.  They will score runs.  They'll be fun.  If it comes together for Cease and Kopech, they could be among the best teams in the game next year.  And they should just get better over the coming seasons. 

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, JoshPR said:

85 wins, defense worries me a little. 93 wins if all goes right.

Agreed about the D. I'll say around 81-83 wins cause of Ricky's incompetence (I'm on record in saying he's going to be the weak link for this team). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The argument that because we lost to the Twins by 28 games last season, or whatever it was, is irrelevant.

New season starts in March.    

I see us wining anywhere from 86 - 93 wins, all depending on health and also the impact that Robert, Madrigal, Cease, and Kopech will provide.  

If Giolito, Moncacada, and Anderson regress significantly, getting to 90 wins will be a be tough.  

Edited by HOFHurt35

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Agreed about the D. I'll say around 81-83 wins cause of Ricky's incompetence (I'm on record in saying he's going to be the weak link for this team). 

Not only the D on the stat sheet. The bonehead plays. The ones that are leurys specialty

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would be nice if Robert and Madrigal were up from the start of the season because they should naturally struggle a bit in the beginning acclimating to the speed of MLB.  This year is going to be much more entertaining  and the Sox could make the playoffs by dominating the Tigers and Royals but I still think 2021 is when we really start to roll.  If I had to guess, I'd say 87 wins in 2020.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you get breakouts from a few pitchers this very well could be a 100 win team. Probably not. But they COULD be that good

Edited by mqr
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, wegner said:

It would be nice if Robert and Madrigal were up from the start of the season because they should naturally struggle a bit in the beginning acclimating to the speed of MLB.  This year is going to be much more entertaining  and the Sox could make the playoffs by dominating the Tigers and Royals but I still think 2021 is when we really start to roll.  If I had to guess, I'd say 87 wins in 2020.

This part here, can we finally have a prospect who just blows up on the scene from jump street?  

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, HOFHurt35 said:

This part here, can we finally have a prospect who just blows up on the scene from jump street?  

If Robert was to do that...this offense would be crazy good!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

This part here, can we finally have a prospect who just blows up on the scene from jump street?  

It was going to be Kopech before he got injured. Gotta hope for Robert. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SonofaRoache said:

Is this a joke or a serious post? I ask because I'm not sure 95 wins is easy for any team lol. 

Easy no...doable yes.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Strong Defense up the middle - Grandal, Anderson,Madrigal and Robert.  Marginal defense from Eloy and Mazara but they can be substituted for in late innings to minimize that.  Moncada is a potential All Star at the hot corner.  If the Sox get out to big leads, corner outfield defense will become less critical.  No worries about a guy tagging up and scoring  in the 8th inning for a team that is behind by 7 runs.

I agree with Steve Stone that this is the best White Sox line-up (for those of us who remember back that far) since the 1977 Southside Hitmen.

Not sure about the starting pitching or the relievers but they might be more effective than expected.  They will  likely experience a lot less stress on the mound pitching with a big lead than worrying about every pitch in game after game.  The Sox are are going to blow out a lot of teams with football score numbers.  Then momentum will start to set in with the fan base and the team.  Order extra fireworks.

I predict that we win the division and then we go as far as luck will take us in the playoffs.

Edited by tray
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They need a couple of young pitchers to step up and a manager. New decade, anything goes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, tray said:

Strong Defense up the middle - Grandal, Anderson,Madrigal and Robert.  Marginal defense from Eloy and Mazara but they can be substituted for in late innings to minimize that.  Moncada is a potential All Star at the hot corner.  If the Sox get out to big leads, corner outfield defense will become less critical.  No worries about a guy tagging up and scoring  in the 8th inning for a team that is behind by 7 runs.

I agree with Steve Stone that this is the best White Sox line-up (for those of us who remember back that far) since the 1977 Southside Hitmen.

Not sure about the starting pitching or the relievers but they might be more effective than expected.  They will  likely experience a lot less stress on the mound pitching with a big lead than worrying about every pitch in game after game.  The Sox are are going to blow out a lot of teams with football score numbers.  Then momentum will start to set in with the fan base and the team.  Order extra fireworks.

I predict that we win the division and then we go as far as luck will take us in the playoffs.

I like your thinking!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, tray said:

I agree with Steve Stone that this is the best White Sox line-up (for those of us who remember back that far) since the 1977 Southside Hitmen.

The 2000 lineup was the highest scoring team in baseball. 1977 was only the 4th highest that year.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, JoshPR said:

Not only the D on the stat sheet. The bonehead plays. The ones that are leurys specialty

Abreu is up there too with the dumb (mostly his baserunning). 

It's still hard to really evaluate until this offseason is over. Still need a couple of more pieces (namely the bullpen). Might push the total up a tad bit depending on who the Sox get. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

The 2000 lineup was the highest scoring team in baseball. 1977 was only the 4th highest that year.

2000 was crazy good.  I think we had 7  guys in the lineup with .800+ OPS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

The 2000 lineup was the highest scoring team in baseball. 1977 was only the 4th highest that year.

2000 team mashed. Pitching wasn't very good. Pen was alright

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

The argument that because we lost to the Twins by 28 games last season, or whatever it was, is irrelevant.

New season starts in March.    

I see us wining anywhere from 86 - 93 wins, all depending on health and also the impact that Robert, Madrigal, Cease, and Kopech will provide.  

If Giolito, Moncacada, and Anderson regress significantly, getting to 90 wins will be a be tough.  

It might be better to consider if they will improve during the season. Right now the 4ALC is looking down but the Twins might make some moves. The Tribe is not looking viable long term with their payroll moves. The Sox could be a top second half squad due to player development. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×