Opening Day Game Thread: Twins @ White Sox, 7:10 PM CT

Jose Abreu

15 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Not sure why Nicky is playing. He can't hit and neither can Engel. Against the Twins I am more concerned about outfield defense than maybe getting a single from one of those two. I would assume that position is going ofer and would take the great defense. 

Did you see my first post in this thread?  SSS sure, but he’s far and away our best hitter against Berrios.  Probably the only time all season I’ll be happy seeing his name in the lineup card.

14 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I absolutely hate that lineup construction.  My god.

With this lineup you can pretty much put the top 6 anywhere. I'm glad Robert is lower to start. He is going to struggle mightily early on with contact. 

6 minutes ago, mqr said:

I don't think there's a way you could arrange that lineup, assuming those last two guys are always behind the first seven, that's worth getting worked up about.

true. Gotta say though when we were at soxfest I was pretty convinced sox were good with rolling with mendick at 2b, have been a bit surprised how much it leaned leury at summer camp.

Obviously a short term issue. I've never been impressed with leury's infield d.

Just now, bmags said:

true. Gotta say though when we were at soxfest I was pretty convinced sox were good with rolling with mendick at 2b, have been a bit surprised how much it leaned leury at summer camp.

Obviously a short term issue. I've never been impressed with leury's infield d.

Mendick's back to back errors the other day probably didn't help

15 minutes ago, ptatc said:

With this lineup you can pretty much put the top 6 anywhere. I'm glad Robert is lower to start. He is going to struggle mightily early on with contact. 

Would love to be wrong here, but Berrios is a nightmare for what we've been led to believe are Robert's weakspots

Anyway, as it stands, everyone hitting in front of him, except maybe Anderson, is a pretty safe bet to out perform Luis. The could change in two weeks, but it might not, so 7 is fine for now. 

Edited by mqr

14 minutes ago, Steve9347 said:

What the fuck is Nicky Delmonico doing in the lineup. Why the fuck is Nick Madrigal not on this roster?

Mazara is hurt, and I think if Madrigal stays down for a week they get an extra year of service time from him. I don't like it but that's probably what's happening. No other explanation for it, since they are in win now mode and he's the best 2B in the org.

Ideally you'd put Madrigal at 2b and Leury cover for Mazara until he's ready, with Delmonico as the backup.

My guess is Delmonico is also starting to balance out the lineup a bit with handedness. 

Edited by ScooterMcGee

31 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’ll predict you’ll be drinking Gumballhead tonight and honestly if the Twins start off with a flyout I may just do the same since I have actually have a six pack here in Nashville!

:cheers

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Did you see my first post in this thread?  SSS sure, but he’s far and away our best hitter against Berrios.  Probably the only time all season I’ll be happy seeing his name in the lineup card.

I'll chalk that up to a fluke. He and Engel would be lucky to get one hit tonight anyway. Give me the defense in that scenario, unless we actually need Nickys bat later in the game. If we were playing the Indians, Tigers, or Royals I may think differently. But Minnesota gets the ball in the air and into the outfield a lot. 

18 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I'll chalk that up to a fluke. He and Engel would be lucky to get one hit tonight anyway. Give me the defense in that scenario, unless we actually need Nickys bat later in the game. If we were playing the Indians, Tigers, or Royals I may think differently. But Minnesota gets the ball in the air and into the outfield a lot. 

Delmonico has actually pretty good that first year. Hopefully, in limited time he can produce again.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Delmonico has actually pretty good that first year. Hopefully, in limited time he can produce again.

Will be interested to see what the shoulder surgery does for him.  He looked dangerous in ST, will be interested to see if that was a fluke, or if he is back to where he was.

Bold predictions for tonight:

• Giolito goes 5 IP, gives up 1 ER with 6 K & 1 BB
  • Robert rips a double to left center in his first AB
  • Nicky goes 2/4 with a bomb and a BB
  • Benetti makes at least two cringe worthy jokes by the 7th
  • Grandal steals three called third strikes
  • Colome gets the save after putting the leadoff hitter on
  • Sox win 3-2 and the stadium erupts in joy

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

Bold predictions for tonight:

• Giolito goes 5 IP, gives up 1 ER with 6 K & 1 BB
  • Robert rips a double to left center in his first AB
  • Nicky goes 2/4 with a bomb and a BB
  • Benetti makes at least two cringe worthy jokes by the 7th
  • Grandal steals three called third strikes
  • Colome gets the save after putting the leadoff hitter on
  • Sox win 3-2 and the stadium erupts in joy

I like Benetti but I'll take the over on that one.

7 hours ago, hogan873 said:

It certainly should be for Sox fans.  This is a team that should compete in a 162 game season and should be playoff bound in the 60 game season with expanded playoffs.  Every game, however, will be critical.  There will be plenty of excitement, cheering, swearing, and beer-drinking over the next two plus months.

This year is really gonna expose Renteria imho