7/26 GT - Twins at Sox - 1:10pm

5 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

What do you mean? 

I mean an optimal lineup - which literally no manager is setting daily - is worth like 1.5 wins over 162 game season. If you accept that it's worth maybe 8 runs over 162 games, which is a pretty accepted estimate, it's just meaningless to sit here and ridicule a managers choice on lineups.

The fact is, a sub-optimal lineup will outperform an optimal one plenty of times throughout the course of the season because the differences are so small in the expected run scoring.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Who you start doesn’t matter?

I'm not in the clubhouse and certainly not going to critique sitting Moncada. I'm pretty sure Renteria would like to play Moncada over not play him. I'm pretty sure everyone would, but he had Corona and was out for a while and has been back for like 10 days. Every team in baseball is grabbing rest early this season.

Again though, lineup construction matters very little. Given how short the lead up was to this season, rest was inevitable early.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

22 minutes ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

So I was looking at it.  Are we too hard on Lopez?  He had 33 starts last year and 10 were terrible...as I mentioned earlier a 14 ERA in those starts.  In his other 23 starts he had a 3.3 ERA and 3 to 1 walks to strikeouts.  So 2/3 of the time he was a very good pitcher and 1/3 of the time he was the worst pitcher in the history of baseball.  If he is the good Lopez he is way better than Maeda ever was.  

No. A starting pitchers job is to give his team a chance to win today's ballgame and in almost a third of his starts Lopez does not do that and it's unacceptable.  He's way too wildly inconsistent to be a starting pitcher.

1 minute ago, Tony said:

Because if you were paying attention at all, Moncada coming back from COVID was going to be an issue from the start, Ricky said multiple times they weren’t going to rush him back, and really monitor the situation. 

Today is supposed to very humid at the park. You guys can b**** all you want about in-game strategy with Ricky, but I trust the coaching staff on player health and well-being a hell of a lot more than you guys. 

Tony wins the thread; shut it down and start a new one.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Wow, Renteria really must have thought Maeda was a lefty based on those lineup changes.

That's fucking inexcusable. 

Giving Moncada a break I understand. 

I was more pissed about the rally Engel against a RHP than anything else. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

4 minutes ago, Tony said:

Because if you were paying attention at all, Moncada coming back from COVID was going to be an issue from the start, Ricky said multiple times they weren’t going to rush him back, and really monitor the situation. 

Today is supposed to very humid at the park. You guys can b**** all you want about in-game strategy with Ricky, but I trust the coaching staff on player health and well-being a hell of a lot more than you guys. 

Yes, this. Remember that it was a surprise he could start Friday, then a surprise he felt good enough for two in a row.