Jerry Reinsdorf is cheap

2 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

I don't disagree with the overall thought but even those bulls teams he paid some players max contracts, it's just that it was Boozer instead of Lebron.  It's always the lesser option, but still spending money.

In 2010 the Bulls had a bottom tier payroll if I recall correctly. In 2011 they were middle of the pack. The Bulls should always be at the top in payroll. I pointed out 2010 and 2011 because that was the year they chased LeBron. The Bulls always seem to fall short of the superstar. Odd, really. 

20 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

In 2010 the Bulls had a bottom tier payroll if I recall correctly. In 2011 they were middle of the pack. The Bulls should always be at the top in payroll. I pointed out 2010 and 2011 because that was the year they chased LeBron. The Bulls always seem to fall short of the superstar. Odd, really. 

They had the year before Derrick got paid when they were 26th in payroll, prior to that 13th, the next season they were 6th in payroll.  They cleared out all that space to get Lebron and still had guys like Derrick and Taj on rookie deals so it gave them one year of down.  Normally it was right around the middle but Derrick brought them way up.

they spent.  They just never ever over spent 

2 hours ago, Texsox said:

I seriously wonder how much JR controls. Yes,  he's a majority owner, but he has partners. To me he's always been more of a figure head than THE owner. 

I can guarantee JR is not a figurehead.  Years ago I had a meeting with Roland Hemond and I was asked to step out of the meeting 3 separate times for confidential calls to Hemond from JR.  I definitely got the impression JR is the type that wants to be in the loop.  We are seeing even now with the TL hire that JR still is a very active part of what goes on in the WS organization.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Oh really? You apparently you also have an issue with dishonesty, not to mention hatred.

Unlike you, I can celebrate the good, and criticize the bad, including dishonesty, without hating the organization or personnel.

Physician, heal thyself. 

The next time I see you celebrate anything will be the 1st.

1 hour ago, Kyyle23 said:

They had the year before Derrick got paid when they were 26th in payroll, prior to that 13th, the next season they were 6th in payroll.  They cleared out all that space to get Lebron and still had guys like Derrick and Taj on rookie deals so it gave them one year of down.  Normally it was right around the middle but Derrick brought them way up.

they spent.  They just never ever over spent 

And that good sir is the point. The Bulls are in a large market, has world wide recognition because of Jordan, and they should have a top 5 payroll and go into the tax occasionally. The Knicks, Nets, and Lakers I can understand out spending us. Maybe even the Clippers and Houston. But no one else in the NBA should outspend the Bulls. 

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

What are you talking about?  He said that Jerry can’t hold the seat unless he’s making the board happy and that’s not true.

his point is that he's largely able to hold the reigns of power without having to go full out authoritarian and block everyone else's opinions out

meaning he probably does make concessions to the other partial owners because he'd rather maintain whatever kind of situation he's got going on than to start pissing off his other colleagues, like there are legit reasons for not pissing off those people

On 1/27/2021 at 6:54 PM, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

I’m so tired of this tightwad not doing everything he can to put a World Series team on the field. It isn’t fair to all of us who invest so much time and money on this franchise. Sell the team Jerry.

/rant

He may not have a choice.

He ironically bought the team for peanuts and may have now priced himself out of keeping a team with potentially so many stars coming of age.

On 1/27/2021 at 7:22 PM, Dick Allen said:

I've been an apologist but changed my tune when he lost out on Machado. I said then and I will say now, JR had a good run but he doesn't have what it takes as an owner to win anymore. Heis too concerned with making money. He should take his money and sell both his teams. They may still win under his ownership but it will be in spite of him and not because of him. He might even be worse fot the Bulls. Yes he gave us Tony LaRussa but he gave Bulls fans Garpax, and Jimmy Boylen in appreciation of leading the NBA in attendance for many years post Jordan.

How is 6 post season appearances  (with only one making it past the first round) in 40 years considered a good run ?

Reinsdorf has truly lowered the bar of expectations in this city.

I doubt his act would have lasted very long in NY, LA or Boston.

Edited by GradMc

On 1/27/2021 at 7:44 PM, kleedawg said:

Be careful what you wish for. When Jerry goes the team could be sold to someone who wants to go to Montreal or Portland.

Pres Obama will put a group together. No way in hell he would allow his beloved Sox to be relocated.

Chicago is a great sports town. And with the firestorm going on at Clark and Addison, the competition for the baseball dollar is back in focus.

The Sox need a new venue.

Get off 35th st and move to the South Loop and become a viable tourist attraction. 

On 1/27/2021 at 7:47 PM, fathom said:

Jerry’s not in it to make money, he’s in it to try and control the game.

Make money and trying to control the game.

He gave up trying to do that with the NBA. He"s a joke who's stuck in the 1950's.

Edited by GradMc

On 1/27/2021 at 7:59 PM, kleedawg said:

I agree, but a new owner might have different motives. 

An affluent group of sportsmen wouldn't give a rat's ass about the Cubs.

Reinsdorf's been crying po' owner for 40 years.

This is not a corner bakery. This is a professional baseball team operating in no worse than the third biggest market in the country.

Edited by GradMc

On 1/27/2021 at 8:48 PM, southsider2k5 said:

Outside of Hendriks replacing Colome, Tony LaRussa really was the biggest move of the off season.  It is amazing that this town should belong to the Sox and they found a way to piss away all of that good will like Mitch Trubisky throwing into the end zone.

and getting intercepted

On 1/28/2021 at 9:25 AM, HOFHurt35 said:

Same for how some of you allow the cheap ass owner to take away from enjoying what appears to be a great young team.

I love the Chicago White Sox passionately.

I loath their current occupant in the owner"s suite.

The latter doesn't affect the former.

Edited by GradMc
  • Like 2

On 1/28/2021 at 12:20 PM, 35thstreetswarm said:

One possibility that doesn't get discussed enough is that Jerry might not be totally convinced we've reached the "all-in" part of the window yet.  Most of us feel we're in year one of the contention window, but maybe Jerry's just not there yet.  The team seems to be proceeding with the caution you'd expect at the very early part of a contention window, before you've 100% dialed in team needs, and are still in wait-and-see mode with pieces of your roster (Cease, Kopech, Vaughn, etc.)  Maybe Jerry needs REAL success -- like an ALCS -- before he'll open up the pocketbook.  Hell, it took an actual WS in 2005 to propel us to the top of the payroll heap.

If that is true, what"s the point of bringimg in TLR ?

• Thanks 1

On 1/28/2021 at 6:12 PM, iWiN4PreP said:

I mean, let's be honest tho -- it's not JUST a Jerry problem. This is a problem with the MLB. 

You have the haves and the have NOTS. 

The teams that will spend, the teams that won't.

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/payroll/

White Sox are above league average, barely, and IMO that isn't saying much.

You look at those bottom teams and PUKE. CLE/PIT are beneath 30 mil. That is just... insane. 

As of right now, Oaklands payroll fits 2 of CLE. As of right now, CWS payroll fits 4 CLE teams. 

Just insane.

I mean, this is a DEEP topic that stretches well beyond just forum anger here. The game that we love is fundamentally rotten at it's core. IDK how long it's been this way, but everything is connected here with the owners vs. players union and the payrolls. It's all sickening when you really get into it.

I'm quite fascinated by the topic, I wish I had more literature on it, but it's also hard to find good literature when both sides are spewing fake news to garner public favor. 

But TBH anyone defending jerry/owners is out of their mind. These guys are making TONS of money. 

The arbitrary Luxury tax of 210 million is pretty lame IMO. That needs to go. 

There are only 30 MLB ownerships. No one is forcing any of them to hold onto their teams.  Whatever the Reinsdorf group eventually gets for the Sox will far outweigh what they paid for them.

9 hours ago, poppysox said:

I can guarantee JR is not a figurehead.  Years ago I had a meeting with Roland Hemond and I was asked to step out of the meeting 3 separate times for confidential calls to Hemond from JR.  I definitely got the impression JR is the type that wants to be in the loop.  We are seeing even now with the TL hire that JR still is a very active part of what goes on in the WS organization.

Figurehead is too strong a word. Perhaps I should have said he may seek input from,  and have some limits set, by the other owners. Like any CEO that has a strong board. 

3 hours ago, GradMc said:

I love the Chicago White Sox passionately.

I loath their current occupant in the owner"s suite.

The latter doesn't affect the former.

You I've crying about the owner, that's about it.  That's all you do. 

12 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

The next time I see you celebrate anything will be the 1st.

Here you go, a few hours earlier.

Was one of the few positive people here regarding Ricky Renteria and the White Sox growth and performance under him since I joined at the end of the season.

Celebrated the Katz, Cairo and Kasper signings this offseason.

Also like the Lynn and Hendricks acquisitions, just concerned about half of payroll locked up with older players if they extend Lynn.

11 hours ago, Wisebri224 said:

Time to call back Rockies now that they are in fire sale and offer 3 of anyone not named Kopech, Crotchet, or Vaughn.  Time to swoop in

Then they won’t get Marquez cuz other teams can offer more 

Edited by Rey21

8 hours ago, GradMc said:

Pres Obama will put a group together. No way in hell he would allow his beloved Sox to be relocated.

Chicago is a great sports town. And with the firestorm going on at Clark and Addison, the competition for the baseball dollar is back in focus.

The Sox need a new venue.

Get off 35th st and move to the South Loop and become a viable tourist attraction. 

I think it’s going to be very interesting to see what this team will do or pursue at the end of the decade when the lease at 35th Street is up, and if the new owner (hopefully by then) is able or motivated to move the team to a more viable location.  

Edited by Thad Bosley
  • Like 1