Who will be the RFer by the end of the season?

ron883

Who will be the RFer by the end of the season?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the RFer by the end of the season?

• Eaton
    • Eloy
    • Vaughn
    • Engel
    • Rutherford
    • Sheets
    • Engel/Eaton Platoon
    • Other

5 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Voted for Cespedes.

Just because Ron didn't include him.

I didn't report Ron, however, to board administrators for that potential oversight.

Also left off Micker Adolfo.

Does Ron have a bias against Latin American players?😖

You're talking to the number 1 Yermin Mercedes fan.

connor-mc-gregor-gtfo.gif

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Voted for Cespedes.

I didn't report Ron, however, to board administrators for that potential oversight.

You should because he would 

6 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Voted for Cespedes.

Dude can't even get into the states right now. I know you got weirdly upset over people suggesting that we may have other internal RF options (Gonzalez, Sheets, Rutherford) last night that aren't Colas/Cespedes, but lordy, as stop gaps they could end up playing crucial roles.

I voted Eaton, but my reading comprehension skills are lacking this morning.  I was going to add a comment that I'd expect a platoon of Eaton and Engel, but I saw that was a choice...after I had already voted.

Eaton is showing signs of wear, which is not that surprising.  Once Engel is back, I see him taking on significant playing time between CF and platooning with Eaton in RF.  That should be good to help keep Eaton healthy.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Quin said:

Dude can't even get into the states right now. I know you got weirdly upset over people suggesting that we may have other internal RF options (Gonzalez, Sheets, Rutherford) last night that aren't Colas/Cespedes, but lordy, as stop gaps they could end up playing crucial roles.

With zoom the players don't need to appear in person.  

• Haha 3

Eaton has been nearly useless against lefties for a while now, so I voted platoon. He'd be the strong side, of course, and get the majority of the playing time.

I guess the Sox could trade for Bryant and try him there, but they'd still need a lefty bat, so I don't see that happening.

Maybe Robbie Grossman? He's basically what Eaton was supposed to be this year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Quin said:

Why was there an article at some point stating he was in AZ at extended ST?

Just now, caulfield12 said:

This is what confuses me too. He was here during spring training. He has to leave after spring training? He wouldn't just go to the alternate site for a month before the minor league season starts?

Just now, caulfield12 said:

Because he was. Then he was supposed to get assigned to Birmingham but is now having visa issues.

This has been discussed plenty on the board.

That Engel injury seems to be a nagging one, so I am not counting on him otherwise I would have picked the Engel/Eaton platoon.  I also do not trust Eaton to stay healthy.  So I say Mercedes continues to hit, Vaughn heats up big time and moves to RF when Eloy comes back to battle the nets in LF.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

This is what confuses me too. He was here during spring training. He has to leave after spring training? He wouldn't just go to the alternate site for a month before the minor league season starts?

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Ok, even weirder/my bad: Callis reports that he is in extended Spring Training but can't move to Birmingham until the visa is resolved.

The younger brother of Yoenis Céspedes is currently in extended spring training but will head to Double-A Birmingham once some visa issues are resolved. 

https://www.mlb.com/news/where-white-sox-top-prospects-are-starting-2021

Who knows what the requirements are with our immigration system, but it might be restricting him to one location while it gets worked out, despite him being a high profile figure.

Just now, Quin said:

Ok, even weirder/my bad: Callis reports that he is in extended Spring Training but can't move to Birmingham until the visa is resolved.

https://www.mlb.com/news/where-white-sox-top-prospects-are-starting-2021

Who knows what the requirements are with our immigration system, but it might be restricting him to one location while it gets worked out, despite him being a high profile figure.

Yeah, I just though that after I posted. Thanks.

2 hours ago, Quin said:

Thank you Quin. I totally forgot about Gonzalez. I guess I view him more as a 4th OF/Engel type, while I'm hoping Rutherford and Sheets may be able to hit well enough to play RF regularly. Still early, but those 2 have played well. I'm excited about Sheets now since he started hitting more homeruns. Do you have any idea how his defense is supposed to play in the OF?

26 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Thank you Quin. I totally forgot about Gonzalez. I guess I view him more as a 4th OF/Engel type, while I'm hoping Rutherford and Sheets may be able to hit well enough to play RF regularly. Still early, but those 2 have played well. I'm excited about Sheets now since he started hitting more homeruns. Do you have any idea how his defense is supposed to play in the OF?

0 clue. I need to check in on the Charlotte games when he's in the OF

On 5/20/2021 at 9:21 AM, Quin said:

Because he was. Then he was supposed to get assigned to Birmingham but is now having visa issues.

This has been discussed plenty on the board.

Trying to get a work visa should have been addressed. 

14 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Leury=-1.3

Vaughn=0.6

FG defensive ratings

So Vaugh has been quite a bit better, although Garcia has been playing CF a lot which is the more difficult position. Just based on eye test, I feel a bit better watching Vaughn play the OF than Leury.

If we get back to full strength this season, I can see us rolling with a lineup of:

Anderson SS

Robert  CF

Moncada 3B

Abreu 1B

Jimenez LF

Mercedes DH

Grandal C

Vaughn RF

Madrigal 2B

That's a murder's row. Late innings can put Engel in RF and move Vaughn over to LF (or Leury).