6/13/21 Games

DirtySox

46 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Romy Gonzalez has been super impressive in a pitchers park. He's hitting HRs left and right. He's older and his strikeouts are a bit high. Does anybody know much about him? @Y2Jimmy0 do you know anything about him? Not much on futuresox about him.

BA draft profile:

Drafted in the 18th round (528th overall) by the Chicago White Sox in 2018 (signed for $125,000)

Gonzalez led Miami in runs (35), RBIs (30) and stolen bases (22) this spring, spending time in right field, at third base and at DH. Last summer in the Cape Cod League, Gonzalez played all four infield positions for the Orleans Firebirds, and hit .318/.342/.509 with 10 stolen bases. Gonzalez projects as a utility type player, though he probably profiles best at second base. He's aggressive in the batter's box and has poor strike zone awareness, with a career strikeout rate with Miami of 24 percent. The strikeout issues were even more apparent in the Cape, where Gonzalez whiffed 36 times and walked five times in 110 at-bats. There is some power in the tank as well--Gonzalez hit 11 home runs during his sophomore season in 2017 and four in the Cape, but managed just four this spring. Gonzalez does a number of things well and is an efficient base runner, but the bat might not be good enough to profile as an everyday player just yet.

+++

Looks like he's learning how to make his aggressiveness work or him. 

1 hour ago, ron883 said:

Romy Gonzalez has been super impressive in a pitchers park. He's hitting HRs left and right. He's older and his strikeouts are a bit high. Does anybody know much about him? @Y2Jimmy0 do you know anything about him? Not much on futuresox about him.

Underrated guy. 18th rounder  out of Miami in 2018. He can play CF and SS. Good college production and power. He’s got a chance 

• Thanks 4

2 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Underrated guy. 18th rounder  out of Miami in 2018. He can play CF and SS. Good college production and power. He’s got a chance 

Interesting splits.  He absolutely crushes left-handed pitching.  That would be more useful if we had more left-handed hitters, but guys who can play 6 positions and have that ability have a chance.

2 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Would be pretty sweet if we got a major league player from trading Miguel Gonzalez

Was one of the youngest guys we went after. Probably a lesson there.

Hes had interesting progression, 2019 he was walking like nuts.

But without enough power who knows. We’ll see if he continues and how Sox handle him next year if he moves up.

As much as I’m intrigued by Krogman & Gladney, I think it’s pretty clear that Rodriguez & Ramos are the top two position playing prospects on Kannapolis.  Rodriguez has hit all year as a newly turned 20 year old and things are finally starting to click for 19 year old Ramos.  Over his last eight games coming into tonight he had an 11.4% BB rate, 14.3% K rate, & .267 ISO.  And tonight he went 1/3 with two BBs and no Ks.

Weaver is another kid who has started to make strides as of late.  Since May 30th, he’s put up a ridiculous 16.2% BB rate and .333 ISO.  The K rate has actually improved a ton but has remained too high during this stretch at 27.0%.  I honestly don’t know much about his defense, but Callis had him as 70 grade runner coming out of the draft.  If the defense matches his speed, then perhaps this is a kid who should be getting a lot more attention.

6 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

As much as I’m intrigued by Krogman & Gladney, I think it’s pretty clear that Rodriguez & Ramos are the top two position playing prospects on Kannapolis.  Rodriguez has hit all year as a newly turned 20 year old and things are finally starting to click for 19 year old Ramos.  Over his last eight games coming into tonight he had an 11.4% BB rate, 14.3% K rate, & .267 ISO.  And tonight he went 1/3 with two BBs and no Ks.

Weaver is another kid who has started to make strides as of late.  Since May 30th, he’s put up a ridiculous 16.2% BB rate and .333 ISO.  The K rate has actually improved a ton but has remained too high during this stretch at 27.0%.  I honestly don’t know much about his defense, but Callis had him as 70 grade runner coming out of the draft.  If the defense matches his speed, then perhaps this is a kid who should be getting a lot more attention.

Excellent stuff and I mostly agree. For as long as Birmingham held our "where hitters go to die" mantra, Kanny has really been brutal for a few years and is also one of the hardest pitcher parks, and moreso now that a lot of our minors players of note are younger. Romy Gonzalez was not good in Kanny, Burger wasn't very good in Kanny. I thought robert wasn't that good in Kanny but he was fine, he was just incredible everywhere else in 2019.

For weaver, his reported athleticism and speed should make defensive reports a non-concern until we see him.

Where I disagree is mainly we just haven't had enough Krogman due to his injury. If he keeps this up a few more weeks. I'm just not putting as much worry into k-rate this year, except for the positives honestly. With Rodriguez, we keep hearing the negative of his aggressive approach and questions over his hit tool, but he hasn't shown it in games yet. He looks the part and keeps playing the part.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I can squint and see him being the guy to eventually replace Leury.  If he can respectably cover the premium positions in CF and SS, there is no reason he can't pick up corner OFs and other IF spots.

• Like 1