Cesar Hernandez traded to White Sox, Konnor Pilkington to CLE

KrankinSox

1 hour ago, BrianAnderson said:

My favorite day! 

The armchair GM reaction day. All of a sudden everybody is an expert on Cesar Hernandez career strengths and weaknesses and have been scouting Pilkington down in AA and know his for sure potential!

Cesar Hernandez is an upgrade. He doesn't cost a ton. He has stolen bases and has had speed in the past, hitting the ball with more power this year, is serviceable and can slot in at the 9 spot. He's a one year commitment and is a fine get. Not every move needs to be a splash. I give it a solid B grade. Story would've been cool, but none of know the price on him, so let's just be happy! 

He literally has zero SB this year and last lol.

But, I agree, he is an upgrade. I love the defense aspect, but this team needs run scoring right now, and he should provide that for us.

Edited by ScooterMcGee

I didn’t quite realize his leadoff man ability. That’s good, because there needs to be an option to Anderson, who can do an unconventional job, but again its nice to have that option. Especially as a switch hitter.  The Sox are a team in need of one true leadoff man. But they are somewhat hard to find.

2 hours ago, BrianAnderson said:

My favorite day! 

The armchair GM reaction day. All of a sudden everybody is an expert on Cesar Hernandez career strengths and weaknesses and have been scouting Pilkington down in AA and know his for sure potential!

Cesar Hernandez is an upgrade. He doesn't cost a ton. He has stolen bases and has had speed in the past, hitting the ball with more power this year, is serviceable and can slot in at the 9 spot. He's a one year commitment and is a fine get. Not every move needs to be a splash. I give it a solid B grade. Story would've been cool, but none of know the price on him, so let's just be happy! 

Not to mention asking him to change leagues and learn a new position on the fly…and actually hit away from Coors and beat his splits.

• bmags pinned this topic
2 hours ago, Chick Mercedes said:

I didn’t quite realize his leadoff man ability. That’s good, because there needs to be an option to Anderson, who can do an unconventional job, but again its nice to have that option. Especially as a switch hitter.  The Sox are a team in need of one true leadoff man. But they are somewhat hard to find.

Does Hernández take walks?  Important for lead off and lacking with TA.

8 hours ago, raBBit said:

They would have to pick up his option to trade him.

Westin -> Marriott

His rate of hitting the ball in the air is way up too.

Good.  We need more guys hitting more balls in the air.  More big flys and less hitting into the dreaded double plays.

7 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Veteran RH bullpen help is a lot more important than RF right now…Sheets and Eaton is fine for a platoon.

Sure, Gallo or Marte or whatever would have been great, but it’s not critical as kong as we get back Robert and Grandal. 

Hey, Eaton is not in the team anymore.

21 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Jeter has like 8 gold gloves as one of the worst defensive ss of his era.

Yes, everyone knows the two biggest New York baseball writer favorites of the last 30 years are Derek Jeter and Cesar Hernandez. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, harkness99 said:

here is a nuance then.. brian goodwin has a higher career ops

Hernandez is just an average player - he is an upgrade to garcia but that aint saying much.

he has a good glove yes - but our problem is offense and relief pitching.

Its an okay move IF there are other moves.. but watching this team since the all star break its going to take more if we are serious.

Our defense has not been good either.  Now we also get Tepera who is an upgrade in relief over Ruiz,  Burr...