COVID Thread Part Deux

Chisoxfn

1 hour ago, Quin said:

These two are well known inflammatory idiots.

Amazing how different people are. I challenge you to listen to a pod of either of the two and tell me you didn't appreciate their comments/views. Have you ever listened to either? I don't think either are trying to inflame anybody and I listen to both. Yes they express differing views from the norm. That doesn't mean they are evil. Not sure why people think differing opinions are so bad.

Whitlock's sidekick, uncle Jimmy, recently was out 2 weeks with SEVERE covid. They had good discussions on it upon Jimmy's return. Jimmy was in BAD SHAPE for a while in the hospital w/covid. I don't think he revealed if he was vaxxed or not. I think both are keeping it private.

Edited by greg775
  • Haha 3

20 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Amazing how different people are. I challenge you to listen to a pod of either of the two and tell me you didn't appreciate their comments/views. Have you ever listened to either? I don't think either are trying to inflame anybody and I listen to both. Yes they express differing views from the norm. That doesn't mean they are evil. Not sure why people think differing opinions are so bad.

Whitlock's sidekick, uncle Jimmy, recently was out 2 weeks with SEVERE covid. They had good discussions on it upon Jimmy's return. Jimmy was in BAD SHAPE for a while in the hospital w/covid. I don't think he revealed if he was vaxxed or not. I think both are keeping it private.

Again this isn't something like picking a favorite sports team.  There are rights and wrongs here. The wrongs are literally killing people like you who listen and follow along.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, greg775 said:

You don't ever listen to Clay Travis do you? Or Whitlock? They express rational feelings all the time.

No, they don't. They express political opinions, which are very different than rational feelings. If Donald Trump came out tomorrow and said that the vaccine and masks were great and everybody should be getting/using them, Clay Travis' opinions would change to match Trump's the very same day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

It’s so awesome to hear the people you listen to. Clay Travis, Jason Whitlock, Rush….and you, like many others, aren’t in on the grift. They are playing characters. Think of Clay Travis like….Doink The Clown. He says things and takes positions because he (smartly) saw a void in the marketplace for a hard conservative sports figure to push back against “woke” ESPN.

And this is when Greg chimes in with “But I listen to Howard Stern too! And Bill Maher! They are liberal! See! See!!!!!11

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Again this isn't something like picking a favorite sports team.  There are rights and wrongs here. The wrongs are literally killing people like you who listen and follow along.

This is basically like someone arguing the Earth is flat and Greg demand we respect their differing opinion.

3 hours ago, greg775 said:

Go check out Hugh Hewitt’s stance on vaccines. There are other conservative voices out there who are pro-vaccine and some who only believe in medical or religious exemptions and they debate the I had covid already argument.

But mostly, quit listening to commentators, they mostly just express opinions. What the hell do they know more than you and I do? This is why doctors should be the leading voices, end of story.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

I listen, worry some, then make decisions. I got vaxxed twice so far. Booster coming I think (moderna).

17 hours ago, greg775 said:

I do believe they deserve a choice whether to be vaxxed or not for reasons I've expressed. Did you see Brad Beal's comments? He isn't vaxxed cause he got covid already. Sometimes you guys act like I'm the only one who has been vaxxed who shares this opinion. You don't ever listen to Clay Travis do you? Or Whitlock? They express rational feelings all the time.

ON BEAL

First brad beal said as quoted by washington post: "“Every player, every person in this world is going to make their own decision for themselves,” Beal said. “I would like an explanation to, you know, people with vaccines. Why are they still getting covid? If that’s something that we are supposed to highly be protected from, like it’s funny that it only reduces your chances of going to the hospital. It doesn’t eliminate anybody from getting covid, right? So is everybody in here vaxxed, I would assume? Right. So you all can still get covid, right?”

Chase Hughes of NBC Sports Washington responded: “We’re less likely to die or go to the hospital.”

Beal shrugged his left shoulder: “Okay, but, you can still get covid Right,” Beal said. “And you can still pass it along with the vax, right? So I’m just asking the question.”

But he was staunch in his belief that receiving a vaccine is his personal choice. That he has already contracted the disease, and missed out on winning a gold medal in Tokyo as a result, had no influence on his decision.

“My mom and dad are vaccinated. My older brothers are vaccinated. My sister-in-law is vaccinated. I know people that have people who are very close that are vaccinated just as well as I have people that are close to me, related to me, that are not,” Beal said. “So it’s a fine line. It’s a personal choice between everybody, 100 percent. I understand both sides of it. I understand that there is a percentage of people who can get very sick. I didn’t get sick; I didn’t get sick at all. I lost my smell. But that was it for me. Everybody is going to react different.”

This country decided a long time ago that public heath > personal choice.

It's why we can't smoke in buildings anymore.

It's why there are certain codes and restrictions restaurants have to follow for food handling.

It's why babies have to have X number of shots before they even leave the hospital when they are born. Then X number in the many years afterwards including the numerous vaccines required for attending school.

This is not new.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

You have to be a child to think like this. If you are concerned with COVID, you get the vaccine. You are protected. That's what I did. That's what 80% of the people I know did. Whatever anyone else does is none of anyone else's business. Protect yourself or face the risks. No one is killing anyone. Anyone saying otherwise is peddling propaganda. 

15 hours ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

No, they don't. They express political opinions, which are very different than rational feelings. If Donald Trump came out tomorrow and said that the vaccine and masks were great and everybody should be getting/using them, Clay Travis' opinions would change to match Trump's the very same day.

Even biased journalists who hate Trump can admit that he has supported the vaccine. I don't know why so many people are obsessed with Trump still. 

https://www.usnews.com/news/national-news/articles/2021-03-17/trump-tells-followers-to-get-vaccinated-against-coronavirus

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-covid-vaccine-mask-mandate-b1912969.html

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2021/08/donald-trump-vaccines-booed

10 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

The opening context is a little long in the tooth given the piece was written in 2012 and is framed in light of the 2012 Presidential election, but the historical overview of scam quack medicine miracle cures/investments underlying right wing media for decades is still solid.

https://thebaffler.com/salvos/the-long-con

an excerpt:

An Oilfield in the Placenta

In 2007, I signed on to the email lists of several influential magazines on the right, among them Townhall, which operates under the auspices of evangelical Stuart Epperson’s Salem Communications; Newsmax, the organ more responsible than any other for drumming up the hysteria that culminated in the impeachment of Bill Clinton; and Human Events, one of Ronald Reagan’s favorite publications. The exercise turned out to be far more revealing than I expected. Via the battery of promotional appeals that overran my email inbox, I mainlined a right-wing id that was invisible to readers who encounter conservative opinion at face value.

Subscriber lists to ideological organs are pure gold to the third-party interests who rent them as catchments for potential customers. Who better suits a marketing strategy than a group that voluntarily organizes itself according to their most passionately shared beliefs? That’s why, for instance, the other day I (and probably you) got an advertisement by way of liberal magazine The American Prospect seeking donations to Mercy Corps, a charity that helps starving children in the Third World. But back when I was getting emails every day from Newsmax and Townhall, the come-ons were a little bit different.

Dear Reader, I’m going to tell you something, but you must promise to keep it quiet. You have to understand that the “elite” would not be at all happy with me if they knew what I was about to tell you. That’s why we have to tread carefully. You see, while most people are paying attention to the stock market, the banks, brokerages and big institutions have their money somewhere else . . . [in] what I call the hidden money mountain . . . All you have to know is the insider’s code (which I’ll tell you) and you could make an extra $6,000 every single month.

Soon after reading that, I learned of the “23-Cent Heart Miracle,” the one “Washington, the medical industry, and drug companies REFUSE to tell you about.” (Why would they? They’d just be leaving money on the table: “I was scheduled for open heart surgery when I read about your product,” read one of the testimonials. “I started taking it and now six months have passed and I haven’t had open-heart surgery.”) Then came news of the oilfield in the placenta.

“Dear NewsMax Reader,” this appeal began, leaving no doubt that whatever trust that publication had built with its followers was being rented out wholesale. “Please find below a special message from our sponsor, James Davidson, Editor of Outside the Box. He has some important information to share with you.”

Here’s the information in question: “If you have shied away from profiting from the immense promise of stem cells to treat disease because of moral concern over extracting stem cells from fetal tissue, pay close attention. You can now invest with a clear conscience. An Israeli entrepreneur, Zami Aberman, has discovered ‘an oilfield in the placenta.’ His little company, Pluristem Life Systems (OTCBB: PLRS) has made a discovery which is potentially more valuable than Prudhoe Bay.”

Davidson concluded by proposing the lucky investor purchase a position of 83,000 shares of PLRS for the low, low price of twelve cents each. If you act now, Davidson explained, your $10,000 outlay “could bring you a profit of more than a quarter of a million dollars.”

Not long after I let the magic of the placenta-based oilfield sink in, I got another pitch, this one courtesy of the webmasters handling the Human Events mailing list and headed “The Trouble with Get-Rich-Quick Schemes.” Perhaps I’m a little gullible myself; for a couple of seconds, I believed the esteemed Reagan-era policy handbook might be sending out a useful consumer advisory to its readers, an investigative guide to the phony get-rich-quick schemes caroming around the right-leaning opinion-sphere. But that hasty assumption proved sadly mistaken, presuming as it did that the proprietors of outfits like Human Events respect their readers. Instead, this was a come-on for something called “INSTANT INTERNET INCOME”—the chance at last to “put an end to your financial worries . . . permanently erase your debts . . . pay cash for the things you want . . . create a secure, enjoyable retirement for yourself . . . give your family the abundant lifestyle they so richly deserve.”

1 minute ago, raBBit said:

You have to be a child to think like this. If you are concerned with COVID, you get the vaccine. You are protected. That's what I did. That's what 80% of the people I know did. Whatever anyone else does is none of anyone else's business. Protect yourself or face the risks. No one is killing anyone. Anyone saying otherwise is peddling propaganda. 

This is not how infectious diseases work.

• Like 1
  • Fire 2

3 minutes ago, raBBit said:

Yes, get the vaccine but also hope you don't need to go to the hospital for any reason at all.

https://news.yahoo.com/alabama-man-dies-cardiac-event-223018300.html?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly9tLmZhcmsuY29tLw&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAADLUHRQaQkad56IHE2fpLWo2UE3lO7AzOGWQ1O9yMaAFH0wTZTS2OJZBFelddpfrQZYn3x-KeGQ-WkkEwEJVShZvZ4KW-SudZKLNbL4P0HF4lIqzjpMdq6vwPnUQRU0oPDsgJS81tNR8Cjo7GRhibwQA6ZpEmN_xXjCfVuklFTuR&guccounter=2

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/08/23/texas-hospital-icu-capacity/

1 minute ago, raBBit said:

From what's posted around here only the unvaccinated go to the hospital right?

In average the risk of hospitalization is reduced by over 90% by vaccination. Half of those who are hospitalized after vaccination are also immune compromised, so on average it’s effectively better than a factor of 20 amongst folks with working immune systems. It is also less effective among the elderly, but third shots were just approved for them.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/08/24/cdc-study-shows-unvaccinated-people-are-29-times-more-likely-to-be-hospitalized-with-covid.html

23 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

This is not how infectious diseases work.

One mind blowing stat I learned this year…out of all the people in this country who get cancer and then die within a couple years, the flu kills 1.5% of them. It’s basically unavoidable, cancer treatments often knock out the immune system so even vaccination can only do so much. Imagine what that number will be like if we leave a virus out there that is 20x deadlier.

But then, getting cancer is a question of personal responsibility right? You can just decide not to? Obviously we have one poster here who has declared himself immune from cancer and that’s just awesome.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33107375/