Andrew Vaughn hurts hip pointer, out 1-2 weeks per White Sox

Buehrle>Wood

33 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

I'm not sure the injury can be blamed on playing the OF, everyone can get hurt but when it comes to multi position ability it is generally easier to adjust to a position to your left in the defensive spectrum. 

The defensive spectrum is considered DH-1b-LF-RF-3B-CF-2b-ss-c and generally switching to the left of the spectrum is much easier. 

There are exceptions of course and it is not linear but generally a SS can play all IF spots, a CF can play all OF spots and a first baseman can only play first and DH albeit there are exceptions to this too (bellinger for example). 

Think I would place CF to the right of 2B…and catcher’s a whole difference monster. Craig Biggio is one of the few that went from catcher to infield, Brandon Inge also comes to mind.   Can hardly remember anyone going from infield to catcher.  Plenty of SS’s to pitcher, usually relief pitcher.

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Think I would place CF to the right of 2B…and catcher’s a whole difference monster. Craig Biggio is one of the few that went from catcher to infield, Brandon Inge also comes to mind.   Can hardly remember anyone going from infield to catcher.  Plenty of SS’s to pitcher, usually relief pitcher.

Tim Anderson's move to catcher is happening any day now, surely

• Like 1

This just absolutely sucks. I pretend to know a lot of things but won’t pretend to know whether this actually is a dislocation or something less serious. 

Vaughn is a guy the Sox absolutely cannot trade. If the Sox sign conforto and have to keep Vaughn in AAA for a bit to get him regular Abs before the playoffs so be it. 

Learning a new position (on a few weeks notice) while you’re getting your first taste of big league pitching is an impossible task.  His ability to hit at/near league average while guys like Kelenic took months to adjust was impressive. 

He never made excuses and worked his ass off in the field to make some serious improvements throughout the year. The hitting fell off big time, but that is somewhat expected considering what he was asked to do. 

Watching his hitting stroke in ST made me realize that he’s so close to making the jump as a hitter. Vaughn will be a plug and play first baseman for the next decade I would bet the house on it. 

The exit velocity and plate discipline combo is elite. He has a ton of value as a first baseman so the outfield experiment should be over. 

Even as a righty first baseman I feel confident that the Vaughn is the third best player in that draft behind Rutch and Witt. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I guess it's better than putting Cespedes on the 40 but he has looked a lot more impressive than some of the reports we have seen. He's a pretty good OF and has a great arm. We've also seen his power a few times.

I don't know about that.  Yes Cespedes is raw and may need some time to develop into a complete player, but hell we don't have time.  If he can play defense and throw out runners like he has shown this spring that's all we need from him. 

A short while back I posted about Vaughn's tendency to dive for a lot of balls that he could not get to by staying on his feet.  The point was and is, that Vaughn can play in the OF, if required, but like Eloy, he has to be told to play more conservatively and let balls that are out of reach drop in for a hit.  At around 5'11" and 225 lb. he doesn't get too much air time and the resulting collision with the turf is always pretty violent.  He is out there for his bat, not for his speed and athleticism.

As far as his injury, I don't think it is a hip pointer based on my own experience with that injury. AV looked like he was doing the twist when he stood up trying to get things back into whack.  He also grabbed toward the front of his hip, rather than the side . Even if it is just a hip pointer, those can be pretty painful for a week or two.Very sharp pain, like someone is sticking a needle in your hip when you bend in a certain way.

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

How long would Vaughn be out?

The injury was a guess but it all matters if he needs surgery or not.   My personal feeling this morning is I will be content if he’s back and healthy by the ASB.  Anything better than that will be a nice outcome, based solely off how these things seemed to go last year.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, maxjusttyped said:

Yoelqui's plate discipline isn't even close to major league ready. Even this Spring when he's done well, it's 31.5% K rate without any walks. All putting him on the major league roster would do right now is needlessly clog up a 40 man spot.

Like we couldn't use his defense and arm.

7 minutes ago, fathom said:

The injury was a guess but it all matters if he needs surgery or not.   My personal feeling this morning is I will be content if he’s back and healthy by the ASB.  Anything better than that will be a nice outcome, based solely off how these things seemed to go last year.

With Robert’s tear didn’t we know almost that day that he had torn something? Just trying to take as much information from the ridiculously vague organizational statement from yesterday. 

Wondering if a “dislocation” could be the type of thing where it’s messed up while twisting, not ungodly painful, but needs some extra time to be able to figure out the severity. 

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

With Robert’s tear didn’t we know almost that day that he had torn something? Just trying to take as much information from the ridiculously vague organizational statement from yesterday. 

Wondering if a “dislocation” could be the type of thing where it’s messed up while twisting, not ungodly painful, but needs some extra time to be able to figure out the severity. 

I feel like if it was a dislocation, they would have said something about the injury via X-ray.

Still think it’s too early to tell what is going on here. All we have is a 20 second clip that shows him diving to catch a ball, routinely going up to his knees, throwing the ball in, getting up smiling and laughing with Robert, wiggling his hips,  reaching towards his hip, taking a couple of steps, and the stoping to call time while reaching towards his hip again.

We also know he was carted off the field and that there hasn’t been any official word yet.

Sounds to me like it could be anything from a couple weeks to an entire season.

Joy! 🤦‍♂

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

That injury looked awful and horrific when it happened… Vaughn’s reaction displayed simple concern and much less pain.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Still think it’s too early to tell what is going on here. All we have is a 20 second clip that shows him diving to catch a ball, routinely going up to his knees, throwing the ball in, getting up smiling and laughing with Robert, wiggling his hips,  reaching towards his hip, taking a couple of steps, and the stoping to call time while reaching towards his hip again.

We also know he was carted off the field and that there hasn’t been any official word yet.

Sounds to me like it could be anything from a couple weeks to an entire season.

Joy! 🤦‍♂

That is exactly how it went down with me when I had a hip pointer. It was almost a delayed reaction like when you stub your toe and it takes a couple of seconds to hurt. But if all he had was a hip pointer, we would most likely know by now.

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

That is exactly how it went down with me when I had a hip pointer. It was almost a delayed reaction like when you stub your toe and it takes a couple of seconds to hurt. But if all he had was a hip pointer, we would most likely know by now.

Very strange indeed.

• Quin locked this topic