4 teams called Conforto post-draft

South Side Hit Men

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

But they didn't put up any numbers for two years and how would you know that after three years they would still be good?

It’s always been about health for Kopech and Rodon. If they’re healthy, they will perform at a high level because the stuff is there. Conforto is a one trick pony imo declining defense, below average baserunner, limited positional flexibility. If the bat doesn’t play, he’s a more expensive Eloy.

47 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Exactly. There’s no consistency from people on here. They just want to complain about what the Sox have and always think the grass is greener elsewhere. News flash, the grass isn’t always greener and the odds are very high that 99% of Soxtalk would be complaining about Conforto one year from now if they signed him.

To be fair we complain about everyone.

58 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

It’s always been about health for Kopech and Rodon. If they’re healthy, they will perform at a high level because the stuff is there. Conforto is a one trick pony imo declining defense, below average baserunner, limited positional flexibility. If the bat doesn’t play, he’s a more expensive Eloy.

So why isn't the assumption the same for Conforto, you know, to be consistent?  Why isn't it about his health?  He has shown that he could perform at a high level when healthy WAY more than Kopech and Rodon had after their big injuries.

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

So why isn't the assumption the same for Conforto, you know, to be consistent?  Why isn't it about his health?  He has shown that he could perform at a high level when healthy WAY more than Kopech and Rodon had after their big injuries.

Because he doesn’t like him. Not even worth conversing with him on it honestly. 

4 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Conforto had an fWAR of 1.4 last season. Everyone here complains about Josh Harrison and he’s at 0.9 fWAR a little more than halfway into the season and presumably much cheaper than the contract Conforto will sign. Can’t have it both ways. If you want a real upgrade that will actually be noticeable, Conforto ain’t it.

Holy shit - Reading your posts is like a written depiction of Rick Hahn’s thought process and it’s very terrifying.

Edited by Chicago White Sox
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Well yea, somewhat the same scenario, which is why I didn’t want the Sox to bring Rodon back at $20M AAV or whatever he got. Is Conforto willing to sign a league min salary like Kopech? If so, sure bring him in. I’m not willing to wager $15M+ AAV on such a high risk. I guess you are. And that’s why we have a difference of opinion.

23 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Holy shit - Reading your posts is like a verbal depiction of Rick Hahn’s thought process and it’s very terrifying.

Josh Harrison and his ~1 WAR/season production on a short term contract at $4.75M AAV is terrifying yet the thought of Conforto at “maybe” 2 WAR/season on a $15M+ AAV contract is a tremendous idea. But I’m the silly one. Ok, sure.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

And for everyone citing Conforto’s career numbers just keep in mind past performance is not indicative of future results. We’re talking about a guy that put up 1.4 fWAR last season and 2.0 fWAR the season before. By next season he will be two years older than his 1.4 fWAR season and coming off an entire year of absence due to injury. If you drew the line in the sand at 1.4 fWAR for next season, I’d say betting odds are on the under. That doesn’t move the needle for this team. They need a real upgrade if they are adding an OF.

Lol…he put up 2.0 fWAR in a 60 game season!  He was on pace for a 5.4 win season!

Edited by Chicago White Sox

24 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Josh Harrison and his ~1 WAR/season production on a short term contract at $4.75M AAV is terrifying yet the thought of Conforto at “maybe” 2 WAR/season on a $15M+ AAV contract is a tremendous idea. But I’m the silly one. Ok, sure.

Maybe 2 WAR season?  The dude basically averaged 4.6 fWAR from 2017 to 2020 if you prorate his 2020 stats.  He solves multiple needs if healthy (LH bat, power, OBP, average RF defense).  I’m not even advocating for him because the health is a question mark and I’d like someone who can help us right now, but comparing him to 35 year old Josh Harrison is fucking ridiculous.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Maybe 2 WAR season?  The dude basically averaged 4.6 fWAR from 2017 to 2020 if you prorate his 2020 stats.  He solves multiple needs if healthy (LH bat, power, OBP, average RF defense).  I’m not even advocating for him because the health is a question mark and I’d like someone who can help us right now, but comparing him to 35 year old Josh Harrison is fucking ridiculous.

So what? Cody Bellinger basically averaged 5 fWAR between 2017 and 2020 too. Are you expecting Bellinger to produce 5 fWAR next season? 

Conforto’s play declined last season and he missed the entire season this year due to injury. And yet, you think it’s a given he will produce 2 WAR next season? 4 WAR is an absolute pipedream.

Also, let me ask. How many NL free agents have the Sox signed over the last two decades that have come over and exceeded expectations? Grandal last season, yes, but overall I’m guessing his contract will look like fair value when it’s all said and done. In reality, he puts up big WAR numbers but I’ve argued that Grandal’s actual play is worse than advanced metrics would suggest.

And lastly, it’s even more ludicrous to think that Conforto can help the Sox now. That’s completely asinine. Forget about him helping this season. If someone signs him it’s for next season. If you want help this season, you’re better off trading for Tyler Naquin.

• Like 1

Imagine if the Sox do get Tyler Naquin

6 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

So what? Cody Bellinger basically averaged 5 fWAR between 2017 and 2020 too. Are you expecting Bellinger to produce 5 fWAR next season? 

Conforto’s play declined last season and he missed the entire season this year due to injury. And yet, you think it’s a given he will produce 2 WAR next season? 4 WAR is an absolute pipedream.

Also, let me ask. How many NL free agents have the Sox signed over the last two decades that have come over and exceeded expectations? Grandal last season, yes, but overall I’m guessing his contract will look like fair value when it’s all said and done. In reality, he puts up big WAR numbers but I’ve argued that Grandal’s actual play is worse than advanced metrics would suggest.

And lastly, it’s even more ludicrous to think that Conforto can help the Sox now. That’s completely asinine. Forget about him helping this season. If someone signs him it’s for next season. If you want help this season, you’re better off trading for Tyler Naquin.

Imagine if the Sox do get Tyler Naquin. You'll forever be called Rick Hahn !! And be scorned when he doesn't do anything to help the Sox win a World Series.Let's get a light hitting corner OF who's not showing hardly any power this year and can't field either !

5 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Imagine if the Sox do get Tyler Naquin

Imagine if the Sox do get Tyler Naquin. You'll forever be called Rick Hahn !! And be scorned when he doesn't do anything to help the Sox win a World Series.Let's get a light hitting corner OF who's not showing hardly any power this year and can't field either !

Exactly! That’s how low my expectations are for Conforto this season.

8 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Exactly! That’s how low my expectations are for Conforto this season.

To be fair, no one is talking about Conforto for this year. It wouldn’t stop them from getting a rental. You get him working with an organization’s staff this year and bank on him being 100% for next year.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

Just now, Bob Sacamano said:

To be fair, no one is talking about Conforto for this year. It wouldn’t stop them from getting a rental. You get him working with an organization’s staff this year and bank on him being 100% for next year.

The poster I replied to did. “I’d like someone who can help us right now.” Conforto isn’t helping right now or in two months.

5 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

The poster I replied to did. “I’d like someone who can help us right now.” Conforto isn’t helping right now or in two months.

Gotcha. Most people who are on board with the idea know it would be more for next year. I say you can do both: sign him and grab a rental.

Soto is obviously a pipe dream.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

4 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Exactly. There’s no consistency from people on here. They just want to complain about what the Sox have and always think the grass is greener elsewhere. News flash, the grass isn’t always greener and the odds are very high that 99% of Soxtalk would be complaining about Conforto one year from now if they signed him.

There are people in the thread who were advocating for Conforto at pretty big money before we all found out he was injured but have now lowered their expectation of what to pay him next year to maybe 2 yrs and $15M . So 7.5M per yr is fine.

Trouble is Boras is still his agent and he'll come out and proclaim Conforto is in the best shape of his life and he may indeed ask for $15M a year. How much he actually gets and for how long is what GM's have to decide. He'll have a showcase and be hitting balls all over the place but really if any major leaguer that can't look great in a "showcase" he's finished. That's why these agents have showcases.

We also can't forget that there was speculation that Conforto hurt himself partying. Who knows if he was drunk on his ass and fell down ? We don't but there are probably a few GM's who will do their due diligence on those rumors.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

20 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

There are people in the thread who were advocating for Conforto at pretty big money before we all found out he was injured but have now lowered their expectation of what to pay him next year to maybe 2 yrs and $15M . So 7.5M per yr is fine.

Trouble is Boras is still his agent and he'll come out and proclaim Conforto is in the best shape of his life and he may indeed ask for $15M a year. How much he actually gets and for how long is what GM's have to decide. He'll have a showcase and be hitting balls all over the place but really if any major leaguer that can't look great in a "showcase" he's finished. That's why these agents have showcases.

We also can't forget that there was speculation that Conforto hurt himself partying. Who knows if he was drunk on his ass and fell down ? We don't but there are probably a few GM's who will do their due diligence on those rumors.

I wouldn’t expect him to get much beyond the 2023 season. His clients have taken 1 year pillow contracts in the past.

10 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

We also can't forget that there was speculation that Conforto hurt himself partying. Who knows if he was drunk on his ass and fell down? We don't but there are probably a few GM's who will do their due diligence on those rumors.

I didn't know that.  Any details?

13 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Going by this line of thinking, we never in a million years would have traded for Jose Contreras…picked up Bobby Jenks off waivers, bet on Pods rebounding, taken a chance on a player they’d only seen on tape in Iguchi and certainly never would have signed Dye and AJ with all the uncertainty around them at that time.  Nor would Carl Everett have ever been on that team, either.

The White Sox are never that team that spends at the top of the market…at least not this century.

Michael Conforto would be a reasonable bounce back bet in a world where our payroll flexibility is definitely going to be limited barring some unforeseen trip to the ALCS or World Series.

We have to take advantage of these opportunities.  We really lucked out with Abreu only have three major suitors in 2013-14.  Otoh, we completely blew our shots at Machado and Harper when we actually had the payroll flexibility.  There aren’t many bullets left to fire.

2 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

All I know is that someone told WhiteSoxDave that he hurt it doing something stupid at a Bachelor Party and Boras said he hurt it diving for a ball while working out.

And then didn't Jimmy chime in saying he heard the same? Or was it Dave responding to Jimmy after Jimmy posted it?