White Sox close to acquiring Soriano

Brian

I don't get that report, we say no to dealing Broadway and it mentions we say no about McCarthy but also says we could afford to deal Brandon. Why would we deal Brandon before Broadway?

On a sidenote, if we aren't willing to deal Broadway, it tells me that this org really thinks highly of the kid. More so than Tyler Lumsden.

Of course I take this as a grain of salt and its probably just someone intentionally slipping info in negotiation ploys.

• Replies 912
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 11:22 AM)
Convince me Brandon McCarthy is better than Javier Vazquez today. You really can't come up with an argument.

I'm convinced that McCarthy could give us more than one quality start over a 2 month period. That's how bad Vazquez has been.

That's all I need to convince me. It may not convince you, but that's fine.

How does Vazquez "earn" pitching deeper in games at this point? He earned going out there in the 6th yesterday because there was no sign that he would implode. Just as he did in his last start. He's just a five inning pitcher at this point. I agree with putting McCarthy in the 6th-7th, but if Ozzie does that and McCarthy implodes, we would all complain that Vaz was doing just fine and needed to be left in there.

Well, maybe WE wouldn't be saying that.

QUOTE(CWSOX45 @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 11:33 AM)
Nothing really new. Offman just reported if we were to acquire Soriano we'd trade him for more pitching help.

Move Bmac into the rotation and one of our starters will be fixed.

I thought that is why we picked up Macdougal.

Nothing really new. Offman just reported if we were to acquire Soriano we'd trade him for more pitching help.

Ofman said that we could trade him for other parts....

Ofman knows nothing more that we do - he has said over the last day that we could keep him or trade him, and that the trade could still far apart.

Guess he covers all the possibilities for us.

I just can't think of a contender who would trade major league pitching for Soriano.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 11:34 AM)
Move Bmac into the rotation and one of our starters will be fixed.

I thought that is why we picked up Macdougal.

I thought the MacDougal deal meant that BMac will get into the rotation...somehow. I want to see McCarthy starting...so Javy or Freddie need to go...and I think that Kenny is working on that.

QUOTE(rowand @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 04:47 PM)
anyone have what stark had to say on insider, it says on the headline he isn't so sure the sox are getting AS.

Basically that Soriano would want about 5 yrs/65 million to re-sign. Also, sources tell him McCarthy and Fields wouldn't be in the deal. The Sox are definitely interested, but it's not close to being "extremely close".

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 11:06 AM)
Who are our big OBP guys that will be leading off? I don't get it.

We don't have one if we get Soriano and Pods gets squeezed out of the lineup, which is my whole point. Hell, I'd rather have Iguchi lead off in that situation, but that isn't great either.

Soriano's OBP is about 65 points higher with men on, and his slugging is almost 100 points higher. Because of that, I'd rather not have him as our leadoff hitter.

I have a feeling there's going to be a lot of pissed off people if Soriano ends up getting traded to the Tigers in the next week. So many people got their hopes up, and they never took a step back to realize how a trade like this would really work out for the Sox.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 11:55 AM)
I have a feeling there's going to be a lot of pissed off people if Soriano ends up getting traded to the Tigers in the next week. So many people got their hopes up, and they never took a step back to realize how a trade like this would really work out for the Sox.

At this point with how we are playing, it might not matter by this weekend if the Tigers get Soriano. We could be over 10 games out if we don't get our spiff together....which makes me want to vomit...A LOT.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 10:54 AM)
We don't have one if we get Soriano and Pods gets squeezed out of the lineup, which is my whole point. Hell, I'd rather have Iguchi lead off in that situation, but that isn't great either.

Soriano's OBP is about 65 points higher with men on, and his slugging is almost 100 points higher. Because of that, I'd rather not have him as our leadoff hitter.

They only lead off once a game.

QUOTE(CWSOX45 @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 04:57 PM)
At this point with how we are playing, it might not matter by this weekend if the Tigers get Soriano. We could be over 10 games out if we don't get our spiff together....which makes me want to vomit...A LOT.

I've given up on the Tigers for now. They're playing just too damn good, and they've shown no signs all season of slowing down. The Twins and the Yankees are the main competition we should be worried about right now.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 11:55 AM)

I think it would depend on what the Tigers had to give up. If they gave one of their young pitchers or Zumaya, yeah, people would be pissed, but that doesn't necessarily make the Tigers better. Personally, if we acquire Soriano, we aren't keeping him, that's just my take. I could be wrong. But, I could see a three-way deal to get some big-time pitching help AND lose some of the dead weight. As I've said before, In KW I Trust...my 2005 World Series DVD set tells me so.

QUOTE(Jake @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 11:59 AM)
They only lead off once a game.

That's still a quarter of his at bats where he has no chance to have men on, and having Uribe and Anderson ahead of him doesn't help either. Roughly 2/3 of his at bats have come with no one on in Washington.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 12:04 PM)
That's still a quarter of his at bats where he has no chance to have men on, and having Uribe and Anderson ahead of him doesn't help either. Roughly 2/3 of his at bats have come with no one on in Washington.

Think it would be better keeping Pods, Soriano second. That would make your 7-8-9 hitters be, Tadihito or A.J, Crede and Uribe...not terrible for getting Soriano some RBI chances.

QUOTE(Hanger @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 12:10 PM)
Think it would be better keeping Pods, Soriano second. That would make your 7-8-9 hitters be, Tadihito or A.J, Crede and Uribe...not terrible for getting Soriano some RBI chances.

We can't afford to put both of them in the lineup though, that'd be an awful defensive outfield.

QUOTE(Hanger @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 05:10 PM)

poopie smells bad.