MARK BUEHRLE PITCHES THE 18TH PERFECT GAME IN HISTORY

southsider2k5

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 04:05 PM)
Keep this list growing:

*No Hitter

*Perfect Game

*Hit a Homerun

*World Series Champion

*Won a game in the World Series

*Saved a game in the same World Series

*Started an All-Star Game

*3 Time All-star and growing. . . . .

what else is there Sox fans:

FIX THIS PLEASE!!! BUEHRLE DID NOT WIN A WORLD SERIES GAME!!! LETS GET THE FACTS STRAIGHT AT LEAST

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 04:37 PM)
I believe the World Series save was the very next game after his starting win in the World Series. That makes it sound even more impressive.

He also started all but one of the opening games since 2002, I think.

The man has really had a storybook career to this point.

He didn't get the W in the world series game. He started game 2, the Pods walkoff/ PK granny game.

QUOTE (Linnwood @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 03:52 PM)
Only thing separating Buehrle from being the only pitcher in MLB history with two perfect games is a walk of Sammy Sosa.

And he picked Sosa off, I think he might be the only guy to face the minimum twice in big league history. I'm trying to research/find this.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 04:07 PM)
"ALEXEIIIII...!!!" It was almost like he was yelling at a cat to stay off the kitchen table. Funny.

Awesome line.

White House spokesman Robert Gibbs said that as the president was leaving Shaker Heights High School after a town hall meeting, he was quickly briefed on the fact that pitcher Mark Buehrle was carrying a perfect game into the ninth and final inning of a game back in Obama's hometown of Chicago.

Gibbs said that as the president's motorcade headed to the airport for a flight to Chicago, where he will be attending fundraisers Thursday night before a late return to the White House, he received an e-mail update from an aide that the perfect game had been completed.

"As a fan, it's extraordinary," Obama told Gibbs before Air Force One took off from Chicago, according to the press secretary. "When you're a White Sox fan — and I know the guy — it makes it even more fun."

Obama called Buehrle to congratulate him, pulling the pitcher out of a news conference, according to Gibbs, and told the pitcher it was "an extraordinary achievement."

The president also joked that perhaps his decision to sport a White Sox jacket as he tossed out the first pitch at baseball's All-Star game earlier this month had brought Buehrle a little bit of luck.

CNN

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 09:50 PM)
And he picked Sosa off, I think he might be the only guy to face the minimum twice in big league history. I'm trying to research/find this.

He has faced the minimum 3 times I believe. Actually it is at least 3, if not 4.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

I am not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but the ONLY way someone catches Kapler's ball in the 9th is if they are left handed. There is no possible way someone can make that play with their left hand being the glove hand...

Maybe it was meant to be....

Edited by JohnCangelosi

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 04:01 PM)
Cooper was the home plate umpire for Buehrle's no hitter, and the home plate umpire for his perfect game. Creepy.

I figured it has never happened before, so i got curious and checked it out. Buehrle is indeed the first pitcher in baseball history to have thrown a no-hitter and a perfect game with the same umpire behind the plate.