Sox GM Meetings

SoxAce

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 9, 2009 -> 06:36 PM)
2 weeks ago I'd have been shocked to hear talk of D2: the mighty danks taking over the OF spot. Then I was shocked when I saw the talk. Now, I wouldn't be all that surprised. I just hope we'd bring in a major bat to DH if we risk D2 in the 9 slot.

yea i agree. . i just hope it wouldn't be another one of those Brian Anderson situations where he would be the 'blackhole' of a pretty solid lineup. But i guess a year of him getting MLB experience couldn't hurt- especially when you have a guy like Jared Mitchell progressing in the minors.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Nov 9, 2009 -> 04:42 PM)
yea i agree. . i just hope it wouldn't be another one of those Brian Anderson situations where he would be the 'blackhole' of a pretty solid lineup. But i guess a year of him getting MLB experience couldn't hurt- especially when you have a guy like Jared Mitchell progressing in the minors.

Maybe his name and the fact that he's a Lefty would be enough to keep him from being benched if he struggled.

according to rosenthal

ChiSox looking for more offense -- 6:03 p.m.

Several days after acquiring Mark Teahen from Kansas City, White Sox general manager Kenny Williams said he would like to add another left-handed bat to his lineup.

"As we stand right now, there's not anything obvious that we need, other than perhaps another left-handed hitter," Williams said Monday. "Whether that guy's a power guy, or an on-base-percentage/speed guy, or some combination of both, I don't know."

Kenny Williams is eyeing some more pop. (Jonathan Daniel / Getty Images)

But after adding Alex Rios and Jake Peavy during the season, it doesn't appear that the White Sox will invest heavily in the free agent market.

In time, the Chicago farm system could produce the left-handed hitter that Williams wants. The GM said he feels "the same way about" 23-year-old outfielder Jordan Danks "as I felt about Gordon Beckham at this stage last year."

"That's pretty good," Williams added.

Beckham, of course, came up this season and blossomed into a Rookie of the Year candidate. Beckham is slated to play second base in 2010.

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Nov 9, 2009 -> 06:15 PM)
mlbtraderumors suggests that the Sox go for Vlad as DH. They had us getting him in there top 50 prediction list.

Vlad went down from a type A to a type B free agent.

If they're going to put D2: the mighty Danks in the OF, that gives us AJ, Teahen, and D2 as regular LH batters. In that case, I could see Vlad fitting, but we'd still need someone to step up and hit RHP hard from the RH side unless Teahen can go nuts.

In time, the Chicago farm system could produce the left-handed hitter that Williams wants. The GM said he feels "the same way about" 23-year-old outfielder Jordan Danks "as I felt about Gordon Beckham at this stage last year."

"That's pretty good," Williams added.

I gotta say.. it's looking more and more like a talk up. in my eyes, though I could be wrong. And KW.. Adrian, Crawford etc.. are all nice for trades.. but Nick Johnson is sitting there free in FA and he's a LH OBP stick. Please sign him. :)

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Nov 9, 2009 -> 09:46 PM)
I gotta say.. it's looking more and more like a talk up. in my eyes, though I could be wrong. And KW.. Adrian, Crawford etc.. are all nice for trades.. but Nick Johnson is sitting there free in FA and he's a LH OBP stick. Please sign him. :)

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Sounds to me like Jordan could be gone in a few weeks...

And Balta, I know, you don't think D2: The Mighty Danks would be traded because of his brother...;)

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Nov 9, 2009 -> 09:46 PM)

He'd be one of the guys a good GM would ask for. Him and a good arm like Hudson could net a quality bat. Of course we could just pick up Milton Bradley to DH....

Ok, I missed the party <.>

But I'll just break it down:

Halladay is a pipe dream, but that'd be one hell of an interesting rotation. Seriously, when you have five all-star caliber pitchers on a staff, that's crazy. So crazy it won't happen.

Gonzalez I jump at any chance I get that doesn't take anyone off the 25 man roster (other than Nix and some BP guys) or Danks. I'd have him and Paulie platoon the DH and 1B spots.

Kenny having this much faith in D2 is interesting, I honestly won't be shocked if D2 was our starting CF or RF. I'd like to see otherwise, but if that happens, I pray he pulls a Gordon.

Don't know about Vlad, I like him, but he's old and past his prime, and it defeats the "young, fast, athletic" mentality.

However, I think the best thing to happen would Jerry getting whacked out on some drug and giving us a payroll to match the Yankees, allowing us to buy Halladay, Gonzalez, Crawford. No team would ever match that ferocity. Or it's unlikeliness.

QUOTE (tommy @ Nov 10, 2009 -> 01:25 AM)
So I was listening to Comcast Sports Net sports news and apparently the talks with Scott Podsednik's agent have heated up in the last couple of days, right after Kenny's comments about 'looking elsewhere.'

I've probably been as big a fan of Scottie as there is on this board, but I am starting to like the idea of Jordan Danks stepping in to take that other OF spot as opposed to Podsednik coming back.

The only way Danks would be in my outfield plans for 2010 is if we were able to sign a vet like Xavier Nady, Randy Winn or Mike Cameron to a under market value one year contract like Abreu signed last year. That way we could start Danks in Double A and put him on a similar schedule that Beckham was on last year. There is way to much to lose with just giving him the starting rightfield spot.

The last thing I am is an expert on our minor league system. I pretty much read what's posted here and get my info from that. I like the idea of Danks2 coming up and pulling a Beckham, but do we really think the Sox will strike gold two years in a row? Maybe...hopefully. I like the idea of signing a veteran who can be had for the cash the Sox are willing to spend, and then let Danks take the Path of Beckham through AA and AAA. By doing that, we might have a better idea if Danks is the real deal.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 9, 2009 -> 03:52 PM)
Sounds like we won the last WS title we had with starting pitching and big boppers.

This time, KW wants to go back to the Go Go White Sox with little offense, manufacturing runs, but great starting pitching.

And at the same time penny pinch like a small market team. Somewhere you have to take a gamble with a bigger payroll. If it doesn't work then you can probably move some expensive pieces.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Nov 10, 2009 -> 08:31 AM)
And at the same time penny pinch like a small market team. Somewhere you have to take a gamble with a bigger payroll. If it doesn't work then you can probably move some expensive pieces.

Yawn. Just because it keeps getting repeated, doesn't mean it is true.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 10, 2009 -> 09:23 AM)
Good lord Kenny, please stay the f*** away from Pods already. You were just talking about defense, now you're talking with Pods again. Leave him alone.

Agreed, I don't want him back. Would love to get Danks up here rather than waste money on Scotty who can't field and whom I believe had a fluke year last year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 10, 2009 -> 08:51 AM)
MLB has been cutting back costs. That is why it is around O'Hare this year, instead of some resort.

The Winter Meetings are the bigger meetings at the resort I believe as that is where the freee agents sell themselves and what not. The GM meetings are usually just to lay groundwork.

Edited by Jenks Heat