White Sox Manager Search Thread

HuskyCaucasian

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 1, 2011 -> 10:51 AM)
I don't know, that seems like it could be coincidental. I'm not saying that you don't, but predicting a move would go a long way in convincing people.

Nobody on this board believes Cowley, but RockRaines oh man he's right on. There is no logic here. Bottom line is believe who you want to believe.

Edited by Marty34

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Oct 1, 2011 -> 01:10 PM)
Nobody on this board believes Cowley, but RockRaines oh man he's right on. There is no logic here. Bottom line is believe who you want to believe.

Rock probably has a better record, and we respect his motivations more than Cowley's.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Oct 1, 2011 -> 12:10 PM)

Rockraines talks about moves that are going to be made, and many times he is right. Cowley talks about innuendo and things like "Cooper and KW better not go to the state of Atlanta after what I heard went down" and makes references to KW stepping out on his wife doesnt even back any of it up with any story or anything. It may very well be true, but all it looks like is gossip from a jilted columnist that cannot get a interview with KW.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 1, 2011 -> 12:17 PM)
Rockraines talks about moves that are going to be made, and many times he is right.

Such as?

Cowley talks about innuendo and things like "Cooper and KW better not go to the state of Atlanta after what I heard went down" and makes references to KW stepping out on his wife doesnt even back any of it up with any story or anything. It may very well be true, but all it looks like is gossip from a jilted columnist that cannot get a interview with KW.

Cowley was the first to report of the rift between Guillen and Williams. The only reason he is not believed is because he gets his information from Guillen's side exclusively.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Oct 1, 2011 -> 01:25 PM)
Cowley was the first to report of the rift between Guillen and Williams. The only reason he is not believed is because he gets his information from Guillen's side exclusively.

WTF? The first? Hell, they admitted there was a rift last year on "The Club".

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 1, 2011 -> 12:26 PM)
WTF? The first? Hell, they admitted there was a rift last year on "The Club".

And that was the first you heard of it? Come on now. It is my opinion that the dislike of Cowley stems from the fact that he slapped down SoxTalk.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Oct 1, 2011 -> 12:39 PM)
And that was the first you heard of it? Come on now. It is my opinion that the dislike of Cowley stems from the fact that he slapped down SoxTalk.

Not really. He's just an unprofessional goof. Cowley laughs at Phil Rogers for getting scolded for calling out KW, then calls him out himself. Also remember Rogers had Ozzie going to the Marlins 15 months ago. I think that was before Cowley became BFF with Oney and started his campaign.

But we will see. Joe did say several months ago, the Sox would hire a puppet. I believe Daryl Boston is who he mentioned. Looks like Joe will be wrong yet again.

I may think less of KW than Cowley does. But Cowley calls KW a liar and finds excuses every time Ozzie contridicts himself. Ozzie goes on a rant about money, then the next day says his leaving is nothing about money. He mentions loyalty. The Sox gave him an extension after 2007. Picked up his extension he cried about last year, then Ozzie says he can't work under the extension. Perhaps Ozzie at one time was a good manager, but now much the same as Ditka, Ozzie is about Ozzie. I'm glad he and his doofus son are gone, now JR needs a new GM and we are back in business, although I do think getting rid of one of the two will make a huge difference. I really believe their dynamic was pulling the organization down.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 1, 2011 -> 01:34 PM)
But we will see. Joe did say several months ago, the Sox would hire a puppet. I believe Daryl Boston is who he mentioned. Looks like Joe will be wrong yet again.

In my opinion, if it's Alomar it will be a puppet.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Oct 1, 2011 -> 12:25 PM)

There was a rift the moment he was hired, hell didn't they end up having an argument during Ozzie's interview? Even when things were going good KW/Ozzie seemingly were always on thin ice.

http://mlbbuzz.yardbarker.com/blog/mlbbuzz...8?new_post=true

Francona not in White Sox's picture; Rays' Martinez is

The White Sox do not plan to shift course in their managerial search now that Terry Francona has left the Red Sox, according to a major-league source with knowledge of the team’s thinking.

General manager Ken Williams continues to work off his short list, the source said. Rays bench coach Dave Martinez, according to a second source, is at the top of that list. Martinez, a former outfielder, played for the White Sox from 1995 to '97.

The White Sox also like Yankees bench coach Tony Pena, but Martinez is their No. 1 target, the second source said. Both Martinez and Pena currently are unavailable; their respective teams are in the post-season.

Williams has said he has a preferred candidate to replace Ozzie Guillen, whom the White Sox traded to the Marlins for two minor leagues. Williams said he could name a new manager before the start of the World Series.

-Ken Rosenthal

It's nice to see Martinez at the top of the list. As for Pena: bleh. I know Buddy Bell replaced Tony Pena as the Royals manager but I'm not aware of any other connection, thinking that Pena could be his suggestion.

Martinez, Alomar, Pena, LaRussa (big time longshot). Seems like this is what we're looking at.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Oct 1, 2011 -> 03:27 PM)
http://mlbbuzz.yardbarker.com/blog/mlbbuzz...8?new_post=true

It's nice to see Martinez at the top of the list. As for Pena: bleh. I know Buddy Bell replaced Tony Pena as the Royals manager but I'm not aware of any other connection, thinking that Pena could be his suggestion.

Martinez, Alomar, Pena, LaRussa (big time longshot). Seems like this is what we're looking at.

Pena played for the Sox in '97 and managed their rookie team in '98. Agree with your rankings of candidates, I'd put Pena as a longer shot than LaRussa. Least I hope he is.

I have no doubt Marty is Cowley or his guy on 35th is Cowley. He brought him up in defense when we were talking about how Rock is generally spot on and Marty's guy seemed unproven...he mentioned Cowley "breaking" the story on a riff we've all known about for years.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Oct 1, 2011 -> 04:40 PM)
I have no doubt Marty is Cowley or his guy on 35th is Cowley. He brought him up in defense when we were talking about how Rock is generally spot on and Marty's guy seemed unproven...he mentioned Cowley "breaking" the story on a riff we've all known about for years.

Cowley is not my guy on 35th. Still waiting on an example of RockRaines breaking a story here.

Amazing how you can pass along info that you hear and get mocked for it.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Oct 1, 2011 -> 04:40 PM)

I think I must agree. I thought 2K5 was PMsing. Looks like he was right.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 1, 2011 -> 12:13 PM)
Rock probably has a better record, and we respect his motivations more than Cowley's.

Rock has a better record, definitely knows more about baseball than Cowley, and doesn't come across like a guy with an agenda against anyone.

And while Rock is good, DocSox is the guy I put the most stock in here as far as inside info goes. If he says it, I take it to the bank.

Cowley is just a joke.