2012 Films Thread

knightni

QUOTE (The Baconator @ Apr 5, 2012 -> 07:28 PM)
Just got out of THE RAID: REDEMPTION... wow. Just... WOW. Unbelievable action movie. I know I posted a trailer to this movie months back as it was highlighted at the Toronto Film Fest, and the movie did not disappoint. It's by the same director as Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon so just imagine that with guns, knives, and fists packed into the narrow hallways of an apartment building.

The action scenes are the best I've ever seen. Take the best scene in the Bourne series (the one that comes to mind for me is the one in the 3rd story apartment when Jason stabs the guy with the pen, etc. and then he jumps out of the window) and extend it 30x. It was so intense that I was legitimately left breathless at a few points; I can't count how many times I heard someone murmur "holy s***!" or "whoa...". That being said, it's one of the most violent films I can think of so it isn't for everyone; two young couples got up and left 12 minutes in.

Highly recommend. I might even see this one again in theaters, that excited.

I read a review where the guy said it was the best action movie he has seen since Die Hard.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 5, 2012 -> 07:39 PM)
I read a review where the guy said it was the best action movie he has seen since Die Hard.

Was that the New York Times article in the Sunday Magazine? If not, I suggest that as a read; 3 pages on how the American action film has fallen.

QUOTE (The Baconator @ Apr 5, 2012 -> 07:28 PM)
Just got out of THE RAID: REDEMPTION... wow. Just... WOW. Unbelievable action movie. I know I posted a trailer to this movie months back as it was highlighted at the Toronto Film Fest, and the movie did not disappoint. It's by the same director as Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon so just imagine that with guns, knives, and fists packed into the narrow hallways of an apartment building.

The action scenes are the best I've ever seen. Take the best scene in the Bourne series (the one that comes to mind for me is the one in the 3rd story apartment when Jason stabs the guy with the pen, etc. and then he jumps out of the window) and extend it 30x. It was so intense that I was legitimately left breathless at a few points; I can't count how many times I heard someone murmur "holy s***!" or "whoa...". That being said, it's one of the most violent films I can think of so it isn't for everyone; two young couples got up and left 12 minutes in.

Highly recommend. I might even see this one again in theaters, that excited.

It was Gareth Evans and not Ang Lee that directed CT, HD???

There's zero plot or "redemptive" character development, but that's not what anyone who goes to this movie is looking for anyway, just non-stop action.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 5, 2012 -> 08:02 PM)
It was Gareth Evans and not Ang Lee that directed CT, HD???

There's zero plot or "redemptive" character development, but that's not what anyone who goes to this movie is looking for anyway, just non-stop action.

Sorry, I think it was actually just the same production company as CT, HD.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Apr 5, 2012 -> 07:28 PM)
I mean, I saw Woody talking to the rich looking guy and shaking his hand, but that to me, made it seem like Woody was using his money/fame/charisma to get someone to give something to Katniss/Peeta, not that they did anything to actually earn it. Which is what I mean by it seems that the whole "be likeable and you will get stuff" didn't really show up in the movie because Woody was able to get what he wanted anyway. I don't know, it just bothered me that it played such a small or background role when they made it seem like sponsors were the reason anyone can survive. I was imagining weapons, food rations, camo, tents, and other important stuff being dropped to them, not just a can of vasoline and a bowl of soup.

Without the medicine they both would have died, if anything those probably cost more money than many standard weapons.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Apr 5, 2012 -> 06:44 PM)
I don't know about that, I went with 3 friends who never read the book and they figured the packages were from sponsors, think you just missed it.

You figured they were from sponsors, but given all the time spent on the build up another minute to give background on the package would have added something. Sponsors got mentioned ad nauseam early on only for it to be semi-implied when a benefit came from them. The time spent was just disproportionate, that's all.

There was a scene after Rue from District 11 died that could have been included.

They sent bread, even though they were a very very poor district and they consistently described in the book how that would have cost so much money as it was closer to the end of the Games and the prices for sponsors/ships were going up exponentially.

That connection with District 11 wasn't quite made clear enough, except for the final outcome of the movie, when there were only 4 Tributes remaining.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 5, 2012 -> 10:13 PM)
There was a scene after Rue from District 11 died that could have been included.

They sent bread, even though they were a very very poor district and they consistently described in the book how that would have cost so much money as it was closer to the end of the Games and the prices for sponsors/ships were going up exponentially.

That connection with District 11 wasn't quite made clear enough, except for the final outcome of the movie, when there were only 4 Tributes remaining.

I haven't seen the movie, but I read the book and I'm reading Catching Fire now. The connection with District 11 is very important in Catching Fire, and the bread being sent is mentioned. With the certainty that there will be at least two more movies, it's surprising they didn't include that.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Apr 7, 2012 -> 01:41 AM)
I'm going to watch Goon tomorrow, heard it was a quality hockey movie.

Oh that's out? I saw the redband trailer a couple months ago and it looked hilarious.

EDIT: It's always surprising when Rotten Tomatoes gives a comedy a good review....

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/goon/

Might have to check it out next week.

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

I watched AMERICAN REUNION. It was pretty good. Definitely better than the last two, but it still suffers from really long, unfunny sequences built around unfortunate misunderstandings. I guess the first one did this a bit, but only in moderation. It was fine-tuned. The other movies, including this one, seem to want to push it as far they can. But I'm so busy feeling awkward for the characters that I don't find it to be at all funny.

I did like the stuff which kind of dealt with getting older and how things change with time. It was a nice bookend to the series. Go see it if TITANIC and THE HUNGER GAMES are sold out.

Goon is pretty good, but nothing close to some of the best sports movies.

Jay Baruchel, the side-kick, is annoying as hell.

Allison Pill, the love interest, is cute without being cloying.

SHAME, Fassbender movie about sexual addiciton, wow....such an intensive movie.

As Ebert mentioned, and it was one of his ten best of the last decade, not something I would want to watch again anytime soon.

Carrie Mulligan does a slow version of Sinatra's New York that you can never forget. As an added bonus, she's naked, which kind of surprised me, as she definitely has passed the point in her career where she would be pressured to do that for a role.

Fassbender is great in this role, if you haven't seen HUNGER about the IRA hunger striker Bobby Sands, that's another must-see.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 8, 2012 -> 07:49 AM)
The 1971 original version of Straw Dogs with Hoffman, or the 2011 version with Kate Bosworth?

I will likely never see the remake. It's just not necessary as far as i'm concerned. Makes me cringe just thinking about it.

I watched Jack and Jill last night. It was just as horrible as everyone said it would be.

Then we watched Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close and it wasn't much better. The previews certainly made it look better than it actually was.

We also watched Hop and The Sitter. They were ok for a few laughs but neither one was real great.

Tonight we are going to watch 50/50 or some other movie that we rented and I can't remember the title of right now.

With 50/50, you'll actually be pleasantly surprised.

Seth Rogen isn't half as annoying as he normally is, largely because he's a supporting actor.

Both a totally realistic and "feel good" story at the same time that doesn't feel completely contrived...at least not as much as most Hollywood fare these days.

Bryce Dallas Howard does a great job of making you dislike her, which means she hit her mark well.