Fausto Carmona has a new name and age!

Kalapse

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/...false-identity/

Jorge Arangure of ESPN.com passes along word from reporter Yancen Pujols that Indians right-hander Fausto Carmona was arrested in the Dominican Republic and is being charged with using a false identity.

According to Pujols, Dominican police arrested Carmona–whose real name is apparently Roberto Hernandez Heredia–while he was leaving the American consulate after renewing his visa.

Keeping you up to date on Dominican Pitcher name changes:

Leo Nunez = Juan Carlos Oviedo

Fausto Carmona = Roberto Hernandez Heredia

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jan 19, 2012 -> 03:39 PM)
http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/...false-identity/

Keeping you up to date on Dominican Pitcher name changes:

Leo Nunez = Juan Carlos Oviedo

Fausto Carmona = Roberto Hernandez Heredia

There is an update to the article which states that Carmona is actually 31, not 28...

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jan 19, 2012 -> 09:36 PM)
Every time something like this comes out, I fear Alexei is really like 32 and Viciedo is like 26. Although Viciedo actually looks baby-faced. Alexei.....not so much.

What if Alexei was really Dayan and Dayan, Alexei?

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jan 19, 2012 -> 08:36 PM)
Every time something like this comes out, I fear Alexei is really like 32 and Viciedo is like 26. Although Viciedo actually looks baby-faced. Alexei.....not so much.

Usually it's the Dominicans with the false information not the Cubans.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 20, 2012 -> 07:18 AM)
The Cubans usually have the false ages though. El Duque and Jose Contreras come to mind.

I generally only think of Dominicans with false ages, and false names for that matter. Santiago Casilla was Jairo Garcia, Juan Carlos Oviedo was Leo Nunez, whatever Roberto Hernandez Heredia was Fausto Carmona, and Vladimir Guerrero, not that long ago, was determined to be 1 year older than he was. I'm sure I'm missing quite a few as well. I think, to gain citizenship within the Dominican Republic, and then to gain a work visa through the United States, it's going to take a damn safe certification. Some may have gotten by it before 9/11, but I don't see it anymore. In fact, I think the Sox are smart in signing Cuban players because their ages are almost certain to be correct.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jan 20, 2012 -> 07:14 AM)
Usually it's the Dominicans with the false information not the Cubans.

It is actually easier for the Cubans now, because there is no one to verify info with. The governments don't have any kind of a relationship to use for the verification purpose. If a person tells a team they are 21, how do you disprove it?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 20, 2012 -> 02:03 PM)
hoynsie paul hoynes

Fausto Carmona ordered not to leave Dominican Repulic. Will be monitored by court. #Indians.

The Sox, Royals, Twins, & Tigers should chip in some money for his legal team. If he can't make it back to the US, the Indians might fill his rotation spot with a pitcher who might actually be good.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 20, 2012 -> 07:40 AM)
I generally only think of Dominicans with false ages, and false names for that matter. Santiago Casilla was Jairo Garcia, Juan Carlos Oviedo was Leo Nunez, whatever Roberto Hernandez Heredia was Fausto Carmona, and Vladimir Guerrero, not that long ago, was determined to be 1 year older than he was. I'm sure I'm missing quite a few as well. I think, to gain citizenship within the Dominican Republic, and then to gain a work visa through the United States, it's going to take a damn safe certification. Some may have gotten by it before 9/11, but I don't see it anymore. In fact, I think the Sox are smart in signing Cuban players because their ages are almost certain to be correct.

What kind of certification do you really think guys like Alexei and Contreras and El Duque really provide? Do you really think Cuba would cooperate and provide that information?

White Sox Talk

WhiteSoxTalkCSN White Sox Talk

Farmio says Esteban Yan made himself older on his birth certificate. Esteban Yan! #SoxFest

2 hours ago

WhiteSoxTalkCSN White Sox Talk

Laumann: "For [Carmona] to make it as long as he did through the system and the checks and balances, it's an aberration." #SoxFest

2 hours ago