2012 MLB draft talk

DirtySox

• Replies 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The last two pitchers definitely profile as relievers and Beck could wind up there as well. I'd complain, but the Sox are good at developing relievers. Draft towards your development strengths, gotta like that.

Plus, the last two guys (Hansen and Isler) have plus fastballs. Any time you can get that after the first few rounds you've done well.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 02:59 PM)
This pick is the perfect example of the draft philosophy under the newer staff. Tall kid with a big fastball that has some upside. It's the 6th round, find a guy with a tool and some upside.

And I'm the first to say, since about 2008 or so, the Sox draft philosophy away from "safe" guys and towards higher risk - higher ceiling guys, is a good thing. Again, not saying I dislike the pick, just saying that whippy arm motion is I think the risky side of the equation.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 03:54 PM)
And I'm the first to say, since about 2008 or so, the Sox draft philosophy away from "safe" guys and towards higher risk - higher ceiling guys, is a good thing. Again, not saying I dislike the pick, just saying that whippy arm motion is I think the risky side of the equation.

At this point in the draft, you're not going to find a guy with clean mechanics that throws 95+, so if you want somebody with that much arm power you're going to have the mechanical risk.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 03:56 PM)
At this point in the draft, you're not going to find a guy with clean mechanics that throws 95+, so if you want somebody with that much arm power you're going to have the mechanical risk.

Sure, that's why I said from the beginning, at this round I'll take it. The alternative is less power arm, and therefore lower ceiling.

I'm loving this draft overall. They're picking the toolsy, high-ceiling guys who they can develop. I'll take that every day over the safe picks. And it's definitely been a trend over the past couple years that they pick the big bodied guys, especially the pitchers.

Round 9 (291) Sox pick: Micah Johnson, 2B (IU Junior)...

Johnson's season started late because of elbow surgery, and he struggled to find a rhythm at the plate. Before the surgery, he showed plus speed on the basepaths, with the ability to take walks and hit for average. He is also a solid defender at second, with good range.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 03:19 PM)
I have to say, this Beck kid seems to be my favorite pick so far. I would take him as my AAP if i wasn't so lazy and a terrible foster parent w/ my current AAP.

But check out this nasty change-up by Beck.....damn.

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_...54&c_id=mlb

Wow. He does have a little Peavy in his motion. He's got a little Radke on that change.

Sox take a draft eligible freshmen (RS) out of UCLA with the 12th round pick. As a senior in highschool he was the 85th ranked prospect in the country by perfect game. Highly touted as a junior as well. Pitched in the game cod league this past summer (got hit relatively hard). Good fastball (90-94) and has been clocked as hard as 96. Was a potential 2 way player (not sure if he ended up doing such at UCLA). Command has been an issue with him but he also has flashed a plus curve ball.

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?topic_id...tent_id=8657105

Scouting video from when he was drafted by the Padres in 2010.

Anyone catch the semi-loophole that teams are exploiting? Teams like the Jays are drafting a bunch of college seniors with no leverage and agreeing to way under slot pre-draft deals in say rounds 6 through 10. They then will select some of the high upside hard prep signs in rounds 11 and onward to use their savings towards. With picks past the 10th round an inability to sign your pick does not penalize you by reducing the team's allotment if an agreement isn't reached.

Edited by DirtySox

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 04:45 PM)
Anyone catch the semi-loophole that teams are exploiting? Teams like the Jays are drafting a bunch of college seniors with no leverage and agreeing to way under slot pre-draft deals in say rounds 6 through 10. They then will select some of the high upside hard prep signs in rounds 11 and onward to use their savings towards. With picks past the 10th round an inability to sign your pick does not penalize you by reducing the team's allotment if an agreement is reached.

Its smart and I'm not surprised teams are planning on doing it. I would assume most teams would have been smart enough to figure this out. The one big if is whether the teams can get those guys that fell to sign, since they aren't going to get very much money. However, if you land one or two of them, thats all it takes to make it worthwhile.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 08:15 PM)
Mark Gonzales ‏@MDGonzales

Laumann very confident all of his 16 picks will sign very quickly

Reply Retweet Favorite

If that is the case, that is awesome. A lot of this draft class will be determined by how many of them they get into the system, and how many they lose.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 07:26 PM)

Sox select nine pitchers among their next 14 selections in the second day of the draft.

Six high school players among their top 16 selections. Quite a contrast from past years.

Sox better spend entire allotment.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 10:18 PM)
Sox better spend entire allotment.

If the Sox don't spend the entire allotment of their pool bonus in their first 10 rounds, they can spend the remaining amount of picks after round 10 on top of the $100,000 they are allowed to spend per pick. They just have to get those picks in the first 10 rounds signed, that's the key.