The Miami Marlins thread

Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ May 10, 2012 -> 10:51 PM)
I was born in miami and now i live in chicago. The sox are my second favorite team. I like this forum because of greg and i also love watching balta and ss2k fight each other.

Ozzie has the Marlins rolling. Congrats to you.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ozzie Guillen Cusses Out SR610′s Paul Gallant

By ANNA-MEGAN RALEY, SportsRadio 610

May 8, 2012 3:05 PM

Paul Gallant, sportsradio 610 Paul Gallant is one of our station’s newer editions. He’s a young, eager to learn Syracuse graduate, who doesn’t always think before he speaks but is maturing and developing into an important piece of SportsRadio 610.

That being said, Paul asked Marlins manager Ozzie Guillen a very fair, very well-asked question as a follow-up to controversy that was sparked by comments about Fidel Castro last month.

Listen to this audio. The question isn’t bad, but the answer is a verbal eruption against Paul. Although there are times I’ve wanted to rip Paul this way and don’t, Guillen’s comments are hardly warranted.

After being asked about any backlash to last month’s controversy, Guillen explodes with some f-bombs.

“F******* grow up, mother f******. Are you kidding me?” Guillen responded when asked.

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2012/05/08/ozz...s-paul-gallant/

It's Ozzie's "wrestling persona" kicking back into gear again.

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2012/05/09/bri...illen-was-fair/

HomeLevine and CampbellStatsVoicesTicketsFan gearSportsChron

.Ozzie Guillen on Wilton Lopez flap: ‘I would have chased his a– all the way to Puerto Rico’

Wilton Lopez gestures as he leaves the game in the seventh inning against the Miami Marlins. (Photo by Bob Levey/Getty Images)

http://blog.chron.com/ultimateastros/files...os2-462x600.jpg

A combustible situation nearly spilled into something much worse, and in the end, the only thing to come from the Hanley Ramirez-Wilton Lopez dustup in the Marlins-Astros game Wednesday night was more colorful language from Marlins manager Ozzie Guillen.

Lopez hit Ramirez with a pitch in the top of the seventh inning, prompting the Marlins third baseman to jaw at Lopez all the way down the first-base line. When things settled down and Lopez was pulled from the game, the Astros’ righthander turned to the Miami dugout with a gesture of two fingers over the eyes. It was a mocking of the Marlins’ “lo viste?” (“did you see that”) hand signal that they give each other after hits, much like the Astros’ spotlight gesture of a few years back.

While neither Lopez nor Ramirez commented, Guillen was less than pleased.

“Very mature,” Guillen said sarcastically to Marlins reporters. “That’s all I can say. Very mature. He’s lucky I wasn’t Hanley. I would have chased his (behind) all the way to Puerto Rico. But that’s part of the game. He’s a kid and it’s not a big deal.”

(Puerto Rico seems to have just been a random draw from the gazetteer for the Venezuelan manager regarding the Nicaraguan pitcher and Dominican infielder.)

http://blog.chron.com/ultimateastros/2012/...to-puerto-rico/

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 14, 2012 -> 02:01 AM)
Then why didn't he bench Pierre or Alex Rios last year?

Who cares at this point, honestly? To be fair, all greg said was that Ozzie currently has the Marlins rolling. And he's right. They're 10-2 this month. Of course, when they go on a losing streak, greg will blame it all on the players.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 14, 2012 -> 01:20 AM)
Who cares at this point, honestly? To be fair, all greg said was that Ozzie currently has the Marlins rolling. And he's right. They're 10-2 this month. Of course, when they go on a losing streak, greg will blame it all on the players.

Those bums that don't earn their paychecks like Ozzie does!

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 18, 2012 -> 11:26 PM)
Serious question: Is Oz a candidate for manager of the year? Three over .500 and right there.

Is you serious?

Let me get this straight...

The Marlins, who were supposed to be good, get off to a horrible start (just like when he managed the Sox and he also get suspended for 5 games for running his mouth). Then their good players finally start playing like they're supposed to again. And now that they're only 3 above .500 and in like 4th place, you think Ozzie should get consideration for manager of the year? It's May Greg, awards aren't won in May. And 3 games above .500 for a team that some deemed good enough to win 90 games is underachieving.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 18, 2012 -> 11:33 PM)
Hell f***in' no. Don Mattingly, Mike Matheny and Fredi Gonzalez are the only legit candidates right now. Ozzie is nowhere near in the discussion.

Davey Johnson says hello. You might only be talking NL, but Buck Showaler has the AL award locked up if the season ended today.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 18, 2012 -> 11:35 PM)
Davey Johnson says hello. You might only be talking NL, but Buck Showaler has the AL award locked up if the season ended today.

Fine. Throw Johnson in there. But Ozzie Guillen? No, sir. He's just not a good manager at all.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 19, 2012 -> 09:00 AM)
H. Christ. Someone wrote a book about this?

I just wonder how depressed Cowley is that Morrissey was the author and not him.

BTW, does Cowley still work for the Sun Times? Talk about someone/something becoming irrelavant.

It may be heresy to suggest it here, but Ozzie Guillen is most certainly a student of the Bobby Cox School of Management, if not of temperment. Ozzie Guillen sees himself as a manager of men and believes that his number one duty as a manager is to create conditions under which a player can perform his best. He will provide a young player with words of encouragement and he will keep the veteran in the lineup to prove that he believes the player can break out of a slump. Games are won by players. Championships are won by players. Guillen wouldn’t even rush the field after the White Sox won the 2005 World Series. That was accomplished by his players. Let them celebrate. On the other hand, when losing, he sets himself up for blame. He goes to the press and suggests he could be fired. He makes sure that when his team is losing, he will be the lead story. He loved taking the heat when his team was playing poorly. Many loved playing for him.

Of course, Ozzie is still Ozzie. The tempest that always swirled around him could be a bit much for the players. When asked a specific question about his players by the press, he’s brutally honest. Sure, he isn’t saying anything that he hasn’t already said to the player’s face, but a player typically doesn’t enjoy reading the ctiticism in the papers. His constant battles with management and umpires have been an occasional distraction for his team. Plus, with Ozzie, there’s no getting away from him. Despite his old school ideas about how the game should be played, he is decidedly different in the clubhouse. Unlike Bobby Cox and Tony LaRussa, Ozzie Guillen doesn’t sit in his office. He wanders through the clubhouse talking to the players. Sure, he’s often out there to encourage the team, to get them talking about the game at hand. Sometimes though, players need a break. When Ozzie and his mouth are around, there is no break.

Even more than the players, management needs a break from Ozzie. The relationship between Ozzie Guillen and longtime White Sox GM Kenny Williams was often fractured. They would argue about moves they wanted to make. They would argue about comments Ozzie would make in the press. They would argue about something Guillen’s son said on Twitter. In his interview to become White Sox manager, Ozzie went off on Williams and everything else in a profanity laced tirade. It actually helped him land the job. I doubt that Williams thinks it was a mistake to hire Ozzie, but you know he was glad when it was over. For the record, Ozzie admits that he is not an easy person to manage. WIth his welcome wore out in Chicago, Guillen would find his way to Miami.

If players and upper management would tire of Ozzie, there was one group who wouldn’t. The press loved Ozzie because Ozzie loved to talk. It was not in his nature to hide his feelings. He is not a diplomatic man. His wears his heart on his sleeve. It never occurred to him that maybe this though should not be shared. Reporter after reporter can enter his office after a game and fully expect to hear something quotable, even if they have to leave out several words. He tells what he believes to be the truth in the moment and his most outrageous words always end up in print. He finds himself in hot water more than any reasonable man could tolerate. This is why many of us love him and it is also why many hate him. One thing though, at least he takes his lumps like a man. He doesn’t shoot off to a reporter and then try to blame the reporter for the backlash. Ozzie knows who he is and he knows when he says certain things he’s going to get into trouble. It’s not that he doesn’t care, he just can’t stop himself.

If you hated Ozzie before reading this book, your opinion will not be changed. As the author says, "one person’s entertaining manager is another’s loudmouth." His mouth has already spoiled his new start in Miami thanks to those ridiculous comments about Castro. (An event that was predicted in spirit, if not exactly by Morrissey.) Still, it looks like he’ll get a chance. At some point though, that foot is going back in his mouth. There will be people who love him, and there will be people who hate him. I wouldn't surprise if he doesn't have some success in Miami, especially the first few years. It doesn’t really matter in the long run. As Morrissey says, sooner or later, he will wear out his welcome.

Such is baseball life around Ozzie Guillen.

http://www.talkingchop.com/2012/5/16/30223...florida-marlins