Sox trade for Brett Myers

flavum

QUOTE (northside sawx @ Jul 21, 2012 -> 02:40 PM)
People make mistakes. Love seeing "Holier than thou" attitudes. It was 6 years ago guys. Relax.

Oh goodness, we're back to the Paterno defense I see? As I said in that thread, I've made more mistakes in my life at 24 than most people do in their entire lives but some things(in this case hitting a woman) is more than a f***in mistake.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 21, 2012 -> 02:46 PM)
  • Brett Myers, Astros - $10MM option vests with 45 games finished or based on a points system. Myers has finished 23 of the club's 70 games and is a trade candidate. If he continues to close, the option seems likely to vest.

If Reed fails again soon, there might be no other choice.

•  

Maybe Kenny thinks they have no choice right now? Itll be interesting to see.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 21, 2012 -> 02:43 PM)
    Northsidesawx, it's on the borderline of something that's hard to excuse.

We wouldn't be saying "relax" if it was rape or something like the Sandusky case...but it's going to be very polarizing for the fanbase. Some won't accept him no matter what, others will be more forgiving if he goes out and performs.

If it was your sister or relative who was beaten up, you might feel differently. I read the "PR spin/feel good" story earlier in the thread, but that doesn't necessarily make it the truth.

I understand. But she's still with him, and they've both admitted they were bombed outta their minds. s*** happens, especially when your drunk. People forgive and forget. Move on. People have done much, much worse.

That is their marriage. None of my damn business.

Edited by northside sawx

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 21, 2012 -> 03:43 PM)
    Northsidesawx, it's on the borderline of something that's hard to excuse.

We wouldn't be saying "relax" if it was rape or something like the Sandusky case...but it's going to be very polarizing for the fanbase. Some won't accept him no matter what, others will be more forgiving if he goes out and performs.

If it was your sister or relative who was beaten up, you might feel differently. I read the "PR spin/feel good" story earlier in the thread, but that doesn't necessarily make it the truth.

why is that not true and the other story is? Baseball-wise, it's a good move. He's had one incident, disputed at that, I'm not going to judge the guy.

Oh goodness, we're back to the Paterno defense I see? As I said in that thread, I've made more mistakes in my life at 24 than most people do in their entire lives but some things(in this case hitting a woman) is more than a f***in mistake.

So you're saying you'd never hit a woman?

what if she superglued your penis to your stomach? What if she was about to slice your nuts off with an exacto knife?

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Jul 21, 2012 -> 02:47 PM)
    why is that not true and the other story is? Baseball-wise, it's a good move. He's had one incident, disputed at that, I'm not going to judge the guy.

Except there were many witnesses. It happened in a public place. And being drunk or bombed or lit is no excuse for ever hitting a woman, period. I hope you wouldn't accept that excuse if a brother-in-law of yours used it.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 21, 2012 -> 02:43 PM)
    Yeah, cause I was totally dignifying what he did.

You kinda did when you said that because it was 6 years ago that people shouldn't make a big deal about it. And the only reason his sorry ass didn't get jail time is because his wife wouldn't press charges. That was just once incident that happened in public. Who knows how many times he's beat on her in private.

That's the other angle.

It would be ironic if they dumped his former teammate in Gavin Floyd ($9.5 million option) for Brett Myer's $10 million, but it's not inconceivable.

One wonders if KW talked to him or his agent and told him this was part of the thought process behind the trade....?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 21, 2012 -> 02:51 PM)
    You kinda did when you said that because it was 6 years ago that people shouldn't make a big deal about it. And the only reason his sorry ass didn't get jail time is because his wife wouldn't press charges. That was just once incident that happened in public. Who knows how many times he's beat on her in private.

Its really stupid to speculate on that.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 21, 2012 -> 08:51 PM)
    That's the other angle.

It would be ironic if they dumped his former teammate in Gavin Floyd ($9.5 million option) for Brett Myer's $10 million, but it's not inconceivable.

One wonders if KW talked to him or his agent and told him this was part of the thought process behind the trade....?

You're over-analyzing things. It's extremely unlikely he's being brought in to close.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 21, 2012 -> 02:54 PM)
    Not really. How many times does somebody get caught breaking the law and the offender says it's the first time it's ever happened? GMAB.

You know what they say about assumptions right?

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 21, 2012 -> 02:47 PM)

Punching your wife now equals serial enabling child molestation???

Come on, man.

I've made several huge mistakes in my life too. And I can honestly say with out second chances I would not be posting this right now.

Edited by northside sawx

If the wife, the actual victim in this situation, has forgiven him then I don't see any reason why a 3rd party like the people on this forum can't do so too.

Assuming the guy is a terrible human being who beats his wife on a habitual basis seems like conjecture to me.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 21, 2012 -> 03:50 PM)
    Except there were many witnesses. It happened in a public place. And being drunk or bombed or lit is no excuse for ever hitting a woman, period. I hope you wouldn't accept that excuse if a brother-in-law of yours used it.

2 things, I'd never condone hitting a woman but there were no marks on her and there's a good chance the witnesses were not entirely accurate, especially if they were drinking as well. I'm not saying he did or didn't. I'm not going to judge him.

Heck, I live in Columbus, Ohio and an OSU LB was recently charged with domestic violence for pushing his drunk ex-girlfriend out his apartment door when she showed up un-invited. She barged in screaming and he pushed he back out through the door. It's a different set of circumstances but I don't consider him a woman beater. I'm pretty familiar with the situation and that's almost exactly how it happened.

Is Myers the same guy who got in a reporter's face and called him a 'retard' a few years back? Not knowing that that word is offensive to many. Might be some other pitcher. I always got Myers and Randy Wolf mixed up. It was one of those guys. If it was Wolf, my apologies in advance.

Either way, it's hard to endorse the trade when you don't know who the other player to be named is. Walters and Heidenreich are a lot to give up.

And, I just don't understand how a GM can give a guy that much money. What did he get? 3 yrs at $10 Large+ per year plus the buyout? I think GM's have to take a Stupid Test or else take a class on play money. Of course, I'll be pulling for him.