Jesse Crain dealt to Tampa Bay

southsider2k5

• Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jul 29, 2013 -> 10:17 PM)
Nick Cafardo ‏@nickcafardo 38s

Rays may have scooped Red Sox out of Jesse Crain.

Expand

So they did indeed have multiple bidders. Maybe the package won't be completely terrible.

I wonder if the PTBNL list is tiered. IE he throws ten innings, you can pick from this. Throws twenty, pick from this.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jul 29, 2013 -> 04:15 PM)
Freidman is a great GM.

Trading for an a pitcher with an injured shoulder makes him a great GM? I'm not saying he isn't but this trade really shouldn't be what makes or breaks the reputation.

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Jul 29, 2013 -> 05:15 PM)
Right obviously, but can the include playoff IP in the deal or if the rays are up 5 games in the last week and he needs 3 IP to fetch the top tier player, can they "rest him until the playoffs" or ?

The answer to this is "trade Jake Peavy to Boston and make it as tight as we can" :).

I'm sure they have lots of details to this. The Rays aren't a Rizzo-like dishonest franchise, they're not here to burn a bridge. They wanted protection for if Crain isn't healthy, not a way to screw over another team. Maddon will use Crain as he sees fit, if he's healthy enough to pitch.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 29, 2013 -> 04:20 PM)
So they did indeed have multiple bidders. Maybe the package won't be completely terrible.

I wonder if the PTBNL list is tiered. IE he throws ten innings, you can pick from this. Throws twenty, pick from this.

100% this is going to be true, no matter what the metric is (appearances, IP, days on roster, etc).

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 29, 2013 -> 03:21 PM)
100% this is going to be true, no matter what the metric is (appearances, IP, days on roster, etc).

The downside is that the Rays could theoretically make another trade with some of the more attractive PTBNL prospects, right?

QUOTE (Wedge @ Jul 29, 2013 -> 05:23 PM)
The downside is that the Rays could theoretically make another trade with some of the more attractive PTBNL prospects, right?

Presumably this is part of the agreement also, what happens if a guy gets traded.

These 2 teams aren't going to be trying to trick each other here. The Rays want a reliever and protection if he's hurt, the Sox want to get fair value for their guy but realize that he's on the DL right now so they have to offer that protection.

If there was a team trying to trick the other one, the Sox wouldn't have made the deal.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jul 29, 2013 -> 04:20 PM)
Trading for an a pitcher with an injured shoulder makes him a great GM? I'm not saying he isn't but this trade really shouldn't be what makes or breaks the reputation.

It does. This moves swoops Crain out of the Red Sox's hands.

And it's a minimal risk, you pay for what you get type of deal.

At worst, Crain only pitches a couple of inning for them and Rays only give up little in return.

At best, they get one of the best relivers in the game, and they pay the right premium for his service.

Either way, Rays won't lose in this deal, I think it's brilliant.

Edited by thxfrthmmrs

QUOTE (Wedge @ Jul 29, 2013 -> 04:23 PM)

if they have a contractual agreement, no. No they can't. Not without being in a lot of trouble. They had to file this deal with the commissioners office, which has to include the rationale for how the PTBNL would work. If Tampa tried to violate that, I would imagine MLB would step in and nullify the deal.

I bet Hanh went to Boston and said take Crain and Peacy for the package we want - or Crain goes to the Rays.

Might be a way Hanh is showing integrity... Trying to convince other GM's to meet his demands.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jul 29, 2013 -> 02:36 PM)
Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN 41s

The Crain agreement between CWS/TB had to be re-done for Commissioner's office earlier today given the complicated nature of the deal.

Expand

Hope we get the details soon

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jul 29, 2013 -> 04:49 PM)
It's cute how the casual fans commented on the Sox official release on Facebook and bashed the team on trading away our all star reliever. I guess you can't satisfy everyone.

I remember when we signed Micker Zapata they were bashing the White Sox because he was 16 and hadnt gotten his education yet....

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jul 29, 2013 -> 04:28 PM)
I never said it did. Why don't you look at his track record? I think Crain is the most valuable reliever that was sure to be moved. If he has to wait a week for him to recover and sends a lesser return over because of it I think it is a savvy move.

Not to mention the Longoria contract, Shields for Myers trade, Zobrist find, team philosophy, Maddon hiring, pitching factory, etc.

Sorry, my mistake. Since you made that statement in the middle of this thread during this discussion, I assumed (wrongly obviously) that it had something to do with this topic.