Sox Sign Jose Abreu - 6/$68 million

beck72

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Oct 16, 2013 -> 03:10 PM)
Olney just tweeted that Abreu's deal could be up to 70 million and that the Astros White Sox and Rangers are the front runners. Ill do 6/70

Man that is a lot of money for such an unproven one-way player. But a Abreu-Garcia-Viciedo middle of the order could be dynamic if they meet their potential.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Oct 16, 2013 -> 03:29 PM)
Man that is a lot of money for such an unproven one-way player. But a Abreu-Garcia-Viciedo middle of the order could be dynamic if they meet their potential.

Well, hopefully two tools, hit and power. There's a lot of value in a guy that can hit .300 with 30 homers.

Kenny was at the workout so he really must have liked what he saw.

I'll take it because it fills such a huge hole for us for the next 5 or so years.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Oct 16, 2013 -> 03:10 PM)
Olney just tweeted that Abreu's deal could be up to 70 million and that the Astros White Sox and Rangers are the front runners. Ill do 6/70

We NEED him worst than any of the other teams. I know Houston is a worse team, but he doesn'e help Houston like he helps us.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 16, 2013 -> 05:33 PM)
We NEED him worst than any of the other teams. I know Houston is a worse team, but he doesn'e help Houston like he helps us.

I agree wholeheartedly with this...with one caveat...the scouts have to say he's worth it. If the people who saw him say he's legit, then I'm content with that price range.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Oct 16, 2013 -> 04:10 PM)

QUOTE (Dunt @ Oct 16, 2013 -> 06:54 PM)
@Buster_ESPN: Bidding on Cuba defector Jose Abreu is expected to be for a $70 million deal, sources say. White Sox,Astros, Rangers viewed as frontrunners.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Oct 17, 2013 -> 08:16 AM)
Didn't the Astros just move Jonathan Singleton to the 40 man as well?

It seems like interest in him is pretty limited. Good for White Sox but I also wonder why the big spenders are not involved.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Oct 17, 2013 -> 07:30 AM)
It seems like interest in him is pretty limited. Good for White Sox but I also wonder why the big spenders are not involved.

Except for Boston, all the other teams that spend big money annually, really have no spot for him, or at least have other more important priorities.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 17, 2013 -> 02:20 AM)
But the Astros already have a clone of Abreu in Cris Carter, haha.

#1, I'm pretty sure Cris Carter is working at ESPN and that he is far too old to be picking up baseball

#2, I'm also pretty sure that, if Abreu is a Chris Carter clone, the A's and Dodgers both have a Chris Carter clone too

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 17, 2013 -> 07:28 AM)
#1, I'm pretty sure Cris Carter is working at ESPN and that he is far too old to be picking up baseball

#2, I'm also pretty sure that, if Abreu is a Chris Carter clone, the A's and Dodgers both have a Chris Carter clone too

At least Cespedes, Puig and Ozzie Guillen are entertaining and good for selling newspapers and generating page views, lol.

I think the White Sox would be more than happy if Abreu put up a 925 OPS, however.

That damn guy always used to kill the Hawkeyes, btw. Well, every Buckeye, pretty much.

Except for the one year we had a crazy/insane school shooting and the team wore all black helmets that weekend and somehow won in Columbus, I think it was 1990.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 17, 2013 -> 08:53 AM)
Except for Boston, all the other teams that spend big money annually, really have no spot for him, or at least have other more important priorities.

There are a bunch of teams that need a quality IB. Maybe the cost is scaring away most teams but it seems odd only 3 teams are very interested and 2 of the 3 are desperate. I hope the Sox have done their homework.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Oct 17, 2013 -> 11:52 AM)
There are a bunch of teams that need a quality IB. Maybe the cost is scaring away most teams but it seems odd only 3 teams are very interested and 2 of the 3 are desperate. I hope the Sox have done their homework.

The teams that spend money, the Yankees, Dodgers, Angels, Phillies, Tigers, and Cubs, really don't have a spot for him, or have other more pressing needs. Plus, it's not like this is bargain basement shopping.

All you can do is trust your scouts. To worry that so and so isn't bidding shouldn't come into play.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Oct 17, 2013 -> 11:52 AM)

The tweets above just said that the White Sox, Rangers, and Houston were the front runners, it didn't say they were the only ones interested.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Oct 17, 2013 -> 01:03 PM)
Have they ever paid big money for a free agent? Knowing them they'll sign Casey McGehee at a bargain basement price and he'll end up putting up 'good numbers".

No I cant recall the Rays ever spending this level of FA dough, and the Rays may well wait on the FA market this year until they see what kind of return they're able to get for David Price.