2014 Cubs Catch-All Thread

cabiness42

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did not realize that 6 years for a 31 y.o. pitcher was unprecedented. That he has had health issues (unrelated to pitching, I know) makes it more even so. And it could vest to 7 years? That's awful.

Still, they have given themselves a pretty decent four year window to win. If they don't, Jed and Theo likely won't have to deal with years 5, 6 or 7. Given the team's cash and their century + of futility, this is a move that only the Cubs make, and I don't mean that as ridicule.

Funny to think that the A's added Lester and Shark to a first place ball club and ended up winning dick.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 10:42 AM)
Joe Maddon can, and anyone who replaces Robin Ventura adds a lot more than that.

I'm one of the first people to tell you that a good manager can make a big difference in a team, but 16 wins is, like I said, completely asinine.

Lineup optimization adds something like 1.5-2 wins over 162 games and that's one of the manager's biggest roles on a team. I haven't seen the numbers on bullpen management, but I'm pretty damn positive it's not at 14.5 wins.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 10:57 AM)
I'm one of the first people to tell you that a good manager can make a big difference in a team, but 16 wins is, like I said, completely asinine.

Lineup optimization adds something like 1.5-2 wins over 162 games and that's one of the manager's biggest roles on a team. I haven't seen the numbers on bullpen management, but I'm pretty damn positive it's not at 14.5 wins.

Read a gamethread. If the 2014 White Sox had Joe Maddon managing the team, if they even had one of several Soxtalk posters managing the team, they go from 73 wins to well over 120.

No reason to be p!ssy about it but the Cubs are having a very good offseason. Gotta give credit where credit is due. This would worry me much more if it were the Tigers, Tribe, Royals or Twins doing what the Cubs have done. Regardless they're in a different league so at the end of the day who cares.

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 12:37 PM)
No reason to be p!ssy about it but the Cubs are having a very good offseason. Gotta give credit where credit is due. This would worry me much more if it were the Tigers, Tribe, Royals or Twins doing what the Cubs have done. Regardless they're in a different league so at the end of the day who cares.

I agree. Also very happy Lester is out of Boston although they have so many trade pieces I am sure they will get pitching. But after Sale, Lester may be the best lefty in MLB.

Let's not forget Maddon is moving from AL to NL so it will be interesting to see how many wins his baseball acumen gets for Cubs.

Edited by SCCWS

I agree. Also very happy Lester is out of Boston although they have so many trade pieces I am sure they will get pitching. But after Sale, Lester may be the best lefty in MLB.

Let's not forget Maddon is moving from AL to NL so it will be interesting to see how many wins his baseball acumen gets for Cubs.

I think this Kershaw guy in LA just might squeeze in ahead of those two.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 12:42 PM)
Joe Maddon can, and anyone who replaces Robin Ventura adds a lot more than that.

Statistically speaking, RV was the best in baseball at bullpen management last year.

He's a good manager.