Sox willing to deal Beckham in "right deal now"

Heads22

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 07:20 AM)
Just an injury replacement. They don't burn an option on a guy they like and if they lose Morel to waivers (they won't), they don't care.

He's really fallen off. There was a time when he hit .320 in the minors. He's hit something like .250/.320/.350 this year at the minor league level. Back troubles man.

No. The guy was in the majors and was a regular for 5 seasons.

Top 6 picks of the 1985 draft:

Brewers - BJ Surhoff (34.3 WAR)

Giants - Will Clark (56.2 WAR)

Rangers - Bobby Witt (15.1 bWAR)

Reds - Barry Larkin (70.1 WAR)

White Sox - Kurt Brown (never played in majors)

Pirates - Barry Bonds (162.4 WAR)

We very easily could have had Bonilla and Bonds together instead of the Pirates (along with Thomas, Ventura, McDowell, Alvarez, Sosa, Bere, Thigpen, Hibbard, Radinsky, Fernandez and Lance Johnson). Talk about a loaded team. Oh, well. Life goes on.

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 08:53 AM)
We very easily could have had Bonilla and Bonds together instead of the Pirates (along with Thomas, Ventura, McDowell, Alvarez, Sosa, Bere, Thigpen, Hibbard, Radinsky, Fernandez and Lance Johnson). Talk about a loaded team. Oh, well. Life goes on.

If they had Bonds and Bonilla from the get go, there is a good chance they arent in any position to draft a good chunk of the players you just listed

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 08:53 AM)

If you had Bonds and Bonilla, chances are you wouldn't have had Thomas, or McDowell or Ventura or Fernandez, and yo uprobably wouldn't have had Lance Johnson as he was acquired for Jose DeLeon who was acquired for Bonilla. Bonilla was a rule 5 pick up by the Hawkeroo.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 07:58 AM)
If you had Bonds and Bonilla, chances are you wouldn't have had Thomas, or McDowell or Ventura or Fernandez, and yo uprobably wouldn't have had Lance Johnson as he was acquired for Jose DeLeon who was acquired for Bonilla. Bonilla was a rule 5 pick up by the Hawkeroo.

Okay, Bip Roberts, haha.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 01:56 AM)
Poor Beckham. One of the biggest busts in Sox history considering where he was picked?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 08:20 AM)
No. The guy was in the majors and was a regular for 5 seasons.

Top 6 picks of the 1985 draft:

Brewers - BJ Surhoff (34.3 WAR)

Giants - Will Clark (56.2 WAR)

Rangers - Bobby Witt (15.1 bWAR)

Reds - Barry Larkin (70.1 WAR)

White Sox - Kurt Brown (never played in majors)

Pirates - Barry Bonds (162.4 WAR)

Seeing as Beckham (8th overall) was 1 of only 7 top ten picks for the Sox since 1982, the others being Kurt Brown (whom you mentioned), Jack McDowell (5th overall), Robin Ventura (10th overall), Frank Thomas (7th overall), Alex Fernandez (4th overall) and Carlos Rodon (3rd overall), I think he could be considered one of the biggest busts considering where he was picked. However, his bust-ness is overshadowed by the plethora of first round busts the White Sox have had in that timeframe. At least Beckham was a serviceable player for 5+ years.

And on a tangent, can I say, having looked up all of our first round picks over this span, whoever was scouting/drafting in '87-90, WOW ('87 was McDowell, '88 was Ventura, '89 was Thomas and '90 was Fernandez), and whoever it was in '97, WOW (but in a negative way - we had the 15th, 33rd, 34th, 43rd 46th and 51st overall picks that year and picked Jason Dellaero, Kyle Kane, Brett Caradonna, Aaron Myette, Jim Parque and Rocky Biddle, respectively).

QUOTE (PorkChopExpress @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 11:14 AM)
Seeing as Beckham (8th overall) was 1 of only 7 top ten picks for the Sox since 1982, the others being Kurt Brown (whom you mentioned), Jack McDowell (5th overall), Robin Ventura (10th overall), Frank Thomas (7th overall), Alex Fernandez (4th overall) and Carlos Rodon (3rd overall), I think he could be considered one of the biggest busts considering where he was picked. However, his bust-ness is overshadowed by the plethora of first round busts the White Sox have had in that timeframe. At least Beckham was a serviceable player for 5+ years.

And on a tangent, can I say, having looked up all of our first round picks over this span, whoever was scouting/drafting in '87-90, WOW ('87 was McDowell, '88 was Ventura, '89 was Thomas and '90 was Fernandez), and whoever it was in '97, WOW (but in a negative way - we had the 15th, 33rd, 34th, 43rd 46th and 51st overall picks that year and picked Jason Dellaero, Kyle Kane, Brett Caradonna, Aaron Myette, Jim Parque and Rocky Biddle, respectively).

Mercy. I bet Rocky Biddle still looks cool as s*** today.

It's hard for me to consider Beckham a bust of a draft pick considering he made it to the majors and has been a steady contributor when you are comparing him to guys like Jared Mitchell, Kyle McCulloch, Lance Broadway, Kris Honel, and Jason Stumm. As a prospect, yes, but a lot of those first rounders never even got close to Beckham's status as a prospect.

EDIT: Given everything, I think Joe Borchard is the biggest draft bust in the franchise's history.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 10:45 AM)
It's hard for me to consider Beckham a bust of a draft pick considering he made it to the majors and has been a steady contributor when you are comparing him to guys like Jared Mitchell, Kyle McCulloch, Lance Broadway, Kris Honel, and Jason Stumm. As a prospect, yes, but a lot of those first rounders never even got close to Beckham's status as a prospect.

EDIT: Given everything, I think Joe Borchard is the biggest draft bust in the franchise's history.

With Fields and Brian Anderson following closely in terms of negative impact on the franchise in the last decade.

Fields, because with Crede's demise, it led to the revolving door of Teahen/Viciedo/Beckham/Omar Vizquel/Morel/Hudson/Youkilis, etc. Anderson, because "Torii Hunter Lite" never came to fruition, except against Felix Hernandez...leading to another huge hole in the line-up in CF that has lasted until 2014.

Borchard was our best chance at a home-grown left-handed power hitter in a generation. His failure more or less led to the acquisition of Thome eventually, and then Dunn.

And Jon Rauch, not because of his draft position, but expectations and what he actually accomplished in a Sox uniform.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 11:54 AM)
With Fields and Brian Anderson following closely in terms of negative impact on the franchise in the last decade.

Fields, because with Crede's demise, it led to the revolving door of Teahen/Viciedo/Beckham/Omar Vizquel/Morel/Hudson/Youkilis, etc. Anderson, because "Torii Hunter Lite" never came to fruition, except against Felix Hernandez...leading to another huge hole in the line-up in CF that has lasted until 2014.

Borchard was our best chance at a home-grown left-handed power hitter in a generation. His failure more or less led to the acquisition of Thome eventually, and then Dunn.

And Jon Rauch, not because of his draft position, but expectations and what he actually accomplished in a Sox uniform.

But that's not the point. Rauch was a bust of a prospect (even aside from having a good career as a reliever), but he was a phenomenal draft pick. That's the merits of what I'm discussing.

It's even hard for me to call Anderson or Fields busts. Both made it to the majors and had some iotas of success.

Also, I take back the Borchard thing. He was a good prospect. He's just in a weird class because so much was expected of him, he appeared as though he was going to deliver, and then everything fell apart. He was valuable enough to get a guy who turned into the best left handed reliever in the game though, so it is hard to say he was a bust of a draft pick.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 11:45 AM)

I think Danny Goodwin reigns as the biggest draft mistake.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 03:14 PM)
If Beckham is the Sox biggest bust, they apparently are a lot better at drafting then anyone realizes. He's 3rd or 4th overall in career WAR for 2008 1st round picks.

Good point. Only Posey, Lawrie, Jason Castro have higher career WARs than Gordon. .

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 03:14 PM)
If Beckham is the Sox biggest bust, they apparently are a lot better at drafting then anyone realizes. He's 3rd or 4th overall in career WAR for 2008 1st round picks.

This was kind of what I was getting at with my previous posts, and you know my feelings on Beckham. If I'm coming to Beckham's back, someone is seriously misrepresenting who he is and what he's done.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 09:04 PM)
This was kind of what I was getting at with my previous posts, and you know my feelings on Beckham. If I'm coming to Beckham's back, someone is seriously misrepresenting who he is and what he's done.

Those of us advanced stat haters laugh again. If there are advanced stats that say Beckham is anything but a C-minus grade type player then I say, cmon. All you do is have to watch the games and track season after season to know Beckham is lousy. I mean are we all in agreement Beckham is a C or D player? He's no A or B.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 11:58 AM)
Those of us advanced stat haters laugh again. If there are advanced stats that say Beckham is anything but a C-minus grade type player then I say, cmon. All you do is have to watch the games and track season after season to know Beckham is lousy. I mean are we all in agreement Beckham is a C or D player? He's no A or B.

I don't think there is much any stat out there to support Beckham being anything but C- or below. I think Wite was just saying to call him one of the biggest busts in White Sox history is pretty weak, given how the draft works and the fact that he was one of the most productive players taken in the 1st round of his draft. Bottom line, it is those reasons why I will always root for on the field performance because I really don't think accumulating top 5 picks does much to speed up a rebuilding process, not in baseball, where the reality is all picks are a crapshoot. Better odds in the top 5, sure, but not to the point it is worth losing a bunch of games (which is an indication that your current talent isn't getting better).

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 01:45 PM)
I think what people feel is that he's one of the biggest busts relative to what we thought we had.

He was supposed to be the best 2nd baseman of the decade. Guy exploded onto the scene and you take away that year and he would have been out of the majors a couple years ago so that I totally understand.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 01:56 PM)
He was supposed to be the best 2nd baseman of the decade. Guy exploded onto the scene and you take away that year and he would have been out of the majors a couple years ago so that I totally understand.

I remember many Derek Jeter comparisons.

I remember starting a thread about whether we should give him an Evan Longoria type deal...he just looked like the complete package when he came up.

He'll always be one of the biggest White Sox mysteries.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 05:42 PM)
It does suck that Beckham can't hit. He was supposed to have been a premier, impact middle IF, and instead, he's a light hitting, solid defensive player who is probably gong to lose his job here before next season.

No he is not. He used to be. He is now a below average defender after getting worse at 2b each season of his career. Both by the eye test and the statistics test.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 03:18 PM)
No he is not. He used to be. He is now a below average defender after getting worse at 2b each season of his career. Both by the eye test and the statistics test.

Only thing he does above average is turn the double play and that is primarily driven by his above average arm at 2B. It is why I firmly believe no one would even put a waiver claim in on him.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 06:19 PM)
Only thing he does above average is turn the double play and that is primarily driven by his above average arm at 2B. It is why I firmly believe no one would even put a waiver claim in on him.

He used to have pretty good range at 2b. But the next time someone says he's a solid defensive 2b, I want them to ask themselves this question...when's the last time you were impressed by a ball Beckham got to?