Angels Acquire Gordon Beckham

chetkincaid

I always thought that Beckham was going to be a better player than he ended up being.

.270 15 HR 65 RBI 10 SB shouldn't have been difficult with his talent.

He just could not keep a consistant hitting approach going.

When he was on, I loved his opposite field doubles and his range at second base.

Here's hoping that he can finally put it all together someday.

Farewell Slayer.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (flavum @ Aug 22, 2014 -> 12:25 PM)

Interesting that he said specifically he had wanted to see Micah Johnson in Sept with the White Sox.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 22, 2014 -> 12:51 PM)
Also mentioned that they are expecting to bring in some salaries over the winter, thought it could be through a trade where they bring a contract "with some cash on it" or through free agency.

I hope its through trade because free agency doesn't tickle my fancy at any position unless its Lester or Shields for the rotation or Miller/Gregorson for the pen.

After listening to the interview, he was hesitant on the free agency front. I could definitely see Hahn adding salary through trade.

Edited by SoxPride18

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 22, 2014 -> 01:51 PM)
Also mentioned that they are expecting to bring in some salaries over the winter, thought it could be through a trade where they bring a contract "with some cash on it" or through free agency.

Good, trade for McCann or even Kemp. If the Yanks for Dodgers want to throw in 20-30 million it's a no brainer imo, there isn't any talent in the minors MLB ready in the OF or C, they are going to have to get creative.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 22, 2014 -> 07:05 AM)
Cubs prospects have 0 bearing on ours.

Seriously the law of independent trials is at work here. As others have said the fact that in his second go around at AAA for the majority of which he was 21 and about 5.5 years younger and also a switch hitter says a ton about his talent level.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Aug 22, 2014 -> 01:12 PM)
Good, trade for McCann or even Kemp. If the Yanks for Dodgers want to throw in 20-30 million it's a no brainer imo, there isn't any talent in the minors MLB ready in the OF or C, they are going to have to get creative.

I would think it would be a lefty bat. So if Dodgers were the team, I hope its not Ethier.

I really think Hahn makes a run at Jay Bruce this off season.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 22, 2014 -> 07:16 PM)
I see very few scenarios that have Victor Martinez leaving Detroit.

Agreed, and I have no doubt in my mind that Hahn is looking to acquire a middle-of-the-order lefty bat. I was actually very pleased with what I heard from Hahn this morning on the Score, as it sounded like he would be aggressive this offseason.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Aug 22, 2014 -> 12:53 PM)
I hope its through trade because free agency doesn't tickle my fancy at any position unless its Lester or Shields for the rotation or Miller/Gregorson for the pen.

After listening to the interview, he was hesitant on the free agency front. I could definitely see Hahn adding salary through trade.

I'm part of the whole "don't spend a ton on the pen" group, but Miller is a guy I could see them being very interested in. Big arm, still relatively young, won't require compensation, ability to spend maybe a little too much on him without it being a huge burden long term.

It's likely an overpay, but I could see a 3 year deal worth $7-8 million.

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Aug 22, 2014 -> 11:43 AM)
He's lucky he's not gone by now.

I wouldn't get rid of him yet...no harm in holding on to him until we get an idea of what the rest of the pen might look like next year.

I still think the guy can pitch well in the right circumstances.

Take a look at C. Sanchez' split stats. He has been terrific batting left handed, vs. RHP: AVG .325 OBP .381 SLG .444

Do you think maybe he should try giving up switch hitting? He's hitting more than 100 points higher, when batting left handed.

I personally favor Beckham's successor to be the one who provides outstanding defense, with decent offense.

Sanchez has the defensive skills, and so far, has demonstrated pretty good offense, especially for his age.

Edited by Lillian