Sox acquire Jeff Samardzija and Michael Ynoa

Rooftop Shots

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 10:08 AM)
A part of me still want the Sox to give Ynoa a shot at starting. He was really good as a starter in 2013 in A ball, and didn't exactly light the world on fire as a reliever last year.

Hate to see a "once in a generation" pitcher end up being a reliever without getting another shot with the new team.

Sometimes converting to reliever gets the confidence back and then they can return to a starting role.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 05:20 PM)
Fyi- Cooper doesn't really work with minor league guys. He says this in interviews repeatedly.

Yeah but Sox have done great jobs with reclamation projects like this in the past (in minors)

Edited by bmags

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 10:20 AM)
Fyi- Cooper doesn't really work with minor league guys. He says this in interviews repeatedly.

No, but he consults with the minor league coaches and his philosophy is present throughout the system. Don't listen to him when he says he isn't involved with them. What he really means is that he doesn't have "hands-on" work with them.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 10:27 AM)
No, but he consults with the minor league coaches and his philosophy is present throughout the system. Don't listen to him when he says he isn't involved with them. What he really means is that he doesn't have "hands-on" work with them.

Wouldn't Cooper have "hands on" work with him since he's on the 40-Man this upcoming ST?

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 09:00 AM)
Since the plethora of moves is reminding me so much of 2005, I'm hoping Ynoa takes the roll of bizarro Jenks. Not so much closer, but finds himself a dominating reliever as a sox, and makes his way up in July as a shut down reliever just in time.

If the Sox signed one of the Asian (or simply foreign) middle infielders to play 2nd it would really start looking like 2005.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 10:00 AM)
Since the plethora of moves is reminding me so much of 2005, I'm hoping Ynoa takes the roll of bizarro Jenks. Not so much closer, but finds himself a dominating reliever as a sox, and makes his way up in July as a shut down reliever just in time.

Agreed. With his size and stuff I'll take a lesser version of Betances anyday.

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 06:23 PM)
Wouldn't Cooper have "hands on" work with him since he's on the 40-Man this upcoming ST?

Maybe a little. But he doesn't spend much time in the minor league camp. Just because they are on the 40, doesn't mean they are in the major league camp.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 10:07 PM)
Maybe a little. But he doesn't spend much time in the minor league camp. Just because they are on the 40, doesn't mean they are in the major league camp.

I just want to point out that there were whole articles written about Cooper spending time in camp for the Fall Instructs this year. He actually was quoted talking about being excited to see guys like Brennan, Trexler, and other semi-obscure guys. He clearly spends some time with the minor leaguers, even if only very occasionally.

The bigger effect is indirect I'm sure - Cooper exerting his philosophy down through the roving and minor league pitching coaches, and receiving reports back up. But there is clearly at least some direct work too.