2015 TV Thread

LDF

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Aug 11, 2015 -> 05:45 PM)
If TDS2 were the show's first seasn it would've guaranteed a second season just based on the ratings alone.

If the first season hadn't been so good the ratings would not have been nearly as high.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (juddling @ Aug 12, 2015 -> 03:15 AM)
Haven't seen it on tv in quite a while (after seemingly on ALL the time), but introduced my kid to Scrubs and she is loving it. I still miss thst show

Probably my favorite show ever. It perfectly fit my sense of humor and had a good bit of drama as well

QUOTE (SnB @ Aug 12, 2015 -> 09:18 AM)
Probably my favorite show ever. It perfectly fit my sense of humor and had a good bit of drama as well

One of my favorites as well despite the jackasses on this site that introduced me to it.

But ya, it's not on tv at all anymore. I actually netflixed the whole series again a few months back. Still awesome.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Aug 11, 2015 -> 03:29 AM)
I assume that youre joking but in all seriousness, I actually want to work in the field and with that studio (WB) in particular and if I do something like violate an NDA and they find out and my chances with working with them are over.

I don't know why you'd assume I'm joking. Most people disliked this season.

QUOTE (juddling @ Aug 12, 2015 -> 03:15 AM)
Haven't seen it on tv in quite a while (after seemingly on ALL the time), but introduced my kid to Scrubs and she is loving it. I still miss thst show

QUOTE (SnB @ Aug 12, 2015 -> 09:18 AM)

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Aug 12, 2015 -> 09:23 AM)
One of my favorites as well despite the jackasses on this site that introduced me to it.

But ya, it's not on tv at all anymore. I actually netflixed the whole series again a few months back. Still awesome.

I really miss Scrubs. I haven 't seen anything like it since either.

I hope that it doesn't sound like I am placing my opinion above others because what I do in school and for a living outside the forum, if it comes of that way it's certainly not my intention.

And yet, I completely disagree with everything you said. If TDS2 were the show's first seasn it would've guaranteed a second season just based on the ratings alone. Recently the President of HBO said that they're waiting to open up negotiations with Nic Pizzolatto for a third season and more depending on him (he said during the first season that he is hoping for at least 5), Pizzolatto also has another show in development at the network and he has some high profile screenwriting gigs coming up. Nic Pizzolatto isn't going anywhere for a while, the same goes for True Detective. (I don't follow the points and ratings but S2 has been one of the network's highest rated programs, and is one of theit popular brands)

Now, I've said this before and after seeing the whole season I feel vavalidated when I say TDS2> TDS1. I liked the plot and storyline better, the psychosphere was much improved this time in my opinion and the characters were amazing. I could go on but in short I think S2 is way better than 1.

I would compare True Detective to what happens when a band puts a phenomenonal debut album (both critically and commercially) and in its aftermath the hype starts to build up amongst fans and the media and in the building of the hype, both parties either start to write the music in their heads or/want (demand) a rehash of the debut. And when the band puts out their (just as good if not better) sophomore album, people are judge it for what it's not instead by what it is.

While I understand people may like or dislike certain things, some of the reviews for this season come off like the person who wrote the review either isn't paying attention to the storyline, has some kind of preconceived agenda (some of articles written by critics/bloggers who are affiliated with the alphabet groups are very infuriating, they (GLAAD) sound like they have old fashioned views on gay characters (I can rant about GLADD and some members of the MAC all day)), or

they bash the show for not being the second season and while I disagree with that school of criticism, that would make more sense when you're critiquing a traditional serialized television show, that has no place when judging a self contained anthology series.

When people asked me what I wanted from the second season of the show after the first season finale, I said that all I want for it is to be good. I think that's the only thing that you/we (the audience) can ask for when it comes to art, anything other than that and you're bound to be disappointed.

As I said on reddit and at the viewing party, I wish more people would've watched this without preconceived notions and ideas, because they're missing out. For those that prematurely dropped the show, get away from it for a bit and start the season again (this time watch it in its entirety) and come to your own opinions and conclusions. I'll bet you'll be signing a different tune, if not you can say that I was wrong.

I feel like you are the Skip Bayless of t.v. watching. I feel like I am watching one of those afternoon ESPN shows where one of the hosts has to argue a ridiculous point for entertainment value.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Aug 11, 2015 -> 11:45 PM)
And yet, I completely disagree with everything you said. If TDS2 were the show's first seasn it would've guaranteed a second season just based on the ratings alone.

The only reason it got the ratings it did was *because of* season 1. Season 2's ratings were dropping episode-by-episode (good bump for the finale though) as season 1 loyalists gradually gave up on it.

I hope that it doesn't sound like I am placing my opinion above others because what I do in school and for a living outside the forum, if it comes of that way it's certainly not my intention.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Aug 11, 2015 -> 05:48 PM)
Oh my god.... that's the point. If you own a dictionary or an encyclopedia, look up the word anthology. Write it down ten times and tell me what it means

QUOTE (The Gooch @ Aug 12, 2015 -> 09:39 AM)
I feel like you are the Skip Bayless of t.v. watching. I feel like I am watching one of those afternoon ESPN shows where one of the hosts has to argue a ridiculous point for entertainment value.

You can be my Rob Parker.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Aug 12, 2015 -> 09:41 AM)
The only reason it got the ratings it did was *because of* season 1. Season 2's ratings were dropping episode-by-episode (good bump for the finale though) as season 1 loyalists gradually gave up on it.

Season 2 is the fourth most wastched season in HBO history, when the ratings for each episode where counted up.

http://i.imgur.com/BDZvA1E.jpg?1

QUOTE (farmteam @ Aug 11, 2015 -> 06:38 PM)
If the first season hadn't been so good the ratings would not have been nearly as high.

I doubt that to the extent because it seems like youre forgetting the show gets A-List actors and they each bring their own audience.

Edited by Joshua Strong

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Aug 13, 2015 -> 01:41 AM)
Season 2 is the fourth most wastched season in HBO history, when the ratings for each episode where counted up.

I doubt that to the extent because it seems like youre forgetting the show gets A-List actors and they each bring their own audience.

That graphic is counting season one and two together, which is weird considering it says "one season listed series". But for whatever reason it shows 2014-2015, maybe because of the length of the show?

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Aug 13, 2015 -> 06:41 AM)

1. No, it isn't. Your image only counts one season per show. For example, Game of Thrones seasons 2,3,4,5 are all higher. So were Sopranos 1,2,3,4,5,6,6b and True Blood 2,3,4,5,6. So, not fourth place - more like 15th, and in an era with HBO is far more accessible than in the past.

2. You didn't address anything I said. TD2's viewership was owed to the success of TD1, and it dropped over the course of the season, indicating that rather than gaining fans, it was losing them.

Edited by CrimsonWeltall

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Aug 13, 2015 -> 06:41 AM)

lol

You'll make any excuse. Season 2 had a ton of hype because people loved season 1 so much. People weren't tuning in to the first episode because love Kitsch/Vaughn/Farrell/McAdams.

Mr Robot spoilers:

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Jul 17, 2015 -> 08:04 AM)

Most definitely. I think we'll find out that Elliot's dead father happens to look a lot like Christian Slater too.

Good call. Nailed it.

I was confused when Darlene and Angela knew each other but it makes sense if she's his sister. But why were Tyrell and Mr Robot talking?

Mr. Robot was absolute perfection last night.

That's one of the most well done TV episodes I've ever seen. The acting, the directing, and the twist were all awesome.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 13, 2015 -> 09:18 PM)
Mr. Robot was absolute perfection last night.

That's one of the most well done TV episodes I've ever seen. The acting, the directing, and the twist were all awesome.

Yep, the last 10 minutes were great