Sale to StL Cards speculation

knightni

I never met a hardcore cardinals fan that knew anything about the baseball world. They know everything g about the cardinals and their minor league affiliates but nothing about any other team. The group I talked to this week didnt know who Miguel Cabrera played for

QUOTE (reiks12 @ Jul 2, 2015 -> 07:39 PM)
I never met a hardcore cardinals fan that knew anything about the baseball world. They know everything g about the cardinals and their minor league affiliates but nothing about any other team. The group I talked to this week didnt know who Miguel Cabrera played for

Two of my best friends are Cards fans that know a stupid amount of the general baseball world. Hell, the Cards might as well have gone from being a team that I hate to one that I can somewhat root for because of them.

I ran this trade proposal by them, they both laughed because of how much of an underpay it is,

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 2, 2015 -> 05:47 PM)
Two of my best friends are Cards fans that know a stupid amount of the general baseball world. Hell, the Cards might as well have gone from being a team that I hate to one that I can somewhat root for because of them.

I ran this trade proposal by them, they both laughed because of how much of an underpay it is,

The problem is, as others have identified, it's just not something that makes much sense for either the party trading for Sale or the party giving him up.

It would take a Herschel Walker type scenario to get it done, and given the realities of how the league strives for parity, there just isn't a team that is so overwhelmingly wealthy so as to give up the bounty required to bring back such a valuable piece. From the White Sox perspective, it doesn't make much sense to trade in this type of currency until it's clear that Chris is going to leave, or someone offers them that bounty.

The odds of either of those things happening anytime soon are remote.

QUOTE (reiks12 @ Jul 2, 2015 -> 07:39 PM)

I don't know about a typical Cardinals fan's baseball acumen, but I do know they have some impressive fans. I was in St. Louis in May and was going to a bar Leonard Zelg reccommended. The Ballpark Village was between our hotel and the bar, so we stopped in. It was a Thursday afternoon in May and the place was packed to watch a Cardinals road game. When they got a hit everyone cheered like they were at the park. The Cards lost and the place cleared out almost immediately after the game, but I don't think that happens in Chicago on either side of town. For a playoff game or a key game in September, yeah maybe, but not for a Thursday afternoon game in May interleague game vs. Cleveland.

The place Pujols used to own in St. Charles was like that on game days, too.

Ozzie Smith had a restaurant, broadcaster Mike Shannon too...McGee, McGwire, Lou Brock, Bob Gibson, Jack Buck and Whitey Herzog are like gods there...along with Stan the Man, of course.

McGee even had his own brand of cookies.

How about we give you Quintana for Martinez and Grichuk. No? Ok bye.

By the way, no idea how Grichuk already has a 1.9 WAR this year in 47 games. He has 7 HR, .276 AVG, above average defense, only 21 RBI, only 3 SB, only a 4.3% BB rate and a 30% K rate. I don't get how hes' on pace for a 6 WAR full season. I mean, his offense is very similar to Avi Garcia's this year. Avi grades out very poorly as a base-runner and defender, but even Avi's O-WAR is a LOT worse, and his wRC+ is 40% lower. Is it all park factor?

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jul 2, 2015 -> 07:21 PM)
With our hole at 2B you have to have Wong in the deal

Wongs D blows (nh). Nice player and bat to have at 2B but the sox need to improve their D, not make it worse.