Mark Buehrle to retire?

Jose Abreu

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 12:24 AM)
This is where I hate twitter, etc. It was reported the night before the game he was gonna retire. What a joke. Those sites that lied need to retract. They had NO sources on this as it turned out. Now the Sox CAN sign him!! Trade one of our lefty starters and sign Mark on the cheap for 1-2 years!

It's not a twitter thing. Sports Illustrated also had an article for example.

Anyways, Mark Buehrle had been one of my favorite players for the past 15 years. He was a great player but he's an even better human being. It was fun watching him pitch and it's remarkable how underrated he was yet some people here still think he was the complete opposite. He was one of the first guys I can remember making their debut from the minors and I'm sure he'll have a statue here one day. It'd be great if kept playing, but either way, we probably won't see another quite like him for a long time.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My guess is that he was strongly leaning towards retiring due to his arm soreness, but he doesn't want his last memory as a SP to be allowing 8 unearned runs in 0.2 innings pitched, so he may give it another year, or take a year off and come back for one season in 2017.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 07:26 PM)
It was Levine reporting he was retiring.

It was horrible reporting. There's no accountability for the media anymore. I'm convinced if somebody tweets something most of the other reporters don't even check. They just quickly chime in "sources confirm buehrle to retire." I mean if his arm feels OK he should definitely keep pitching. He obviously hasn't made up his mind. Part of it might be whether the Sox or Cardinals want him. If the Sox want him, he'd probably come back. Ditto the Cards I believe.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 10:09 AM)
She is a bigtime Bollywood actress, this is her crossover.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 02:36 PM)
I'd still love to see Mark come back here for a victory lap.

If he's healthy I'd take him back on a 2 year deal for #4/5 starter money without questioning it.

Man I hope he somehow gets a chance to pitch in the playoffs/WS still, I know it's unlikely especially without being on the ALDS roster but would be really cool to have him out there one more time.

Mark, we love you man, enjoy the postseason and if this is really it you had one hell of a career. Can't wait for the statue at the Cell!

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 10:01 PM)
Don't think his arm has two years left.

This proves that Jamie Moyer was the last of the guys able to pitch forever, as well as LaTroy Hawkins. I mean Mark has never been on DL, has that smooth motion and is done at 36? Poor pitchers. Their arms just can't take the stress. 36 is not old compared to some of the dudes of the past.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 10:13 PM)
This proves that Jamie Moyer was the last of the guys able to pitch forever, as well as LaTroy Hawkins. I mean Mark has never been on DL, has that smooth motion and is done at 36? Poor pitchers. Their arms just can't take the stress. 36 is not old compared to some of the dudes of the past.

Yeah, it's a shame he couldn't pitch as long as someone like Ted Lyons.

But who cares about the past?

Anyway, Mark is the active leader for IP at 3283.1 IP, 95th all time. Still really damn good.

And Hawkins is a reliever.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Oct 6, 2015 -> 04:26 AM)
Yeah, it's a shame he couldn't pitch as long as someone like Ted Lyons.

But who cares about the past?

Anyway, Mark is the active leader for IP at 3283.1 IP, 95th all time. Still really damn good.

And Hawkins is a reliever.

This is a no brainer. Sign Mark Buehrle. One year and an option at 5.5 mill a year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 01:21 PM)
Barry Davis ‏@SNBarryDavis 20h20 hours ago

Buehrle finds it funny how many people have already reported that he's retiring. That decision won't be made until off season. #bluejays

lol I literally thought this at one point yesterday. I have yet to see any quote from Buehrle that says he is retiring. I wouldn't be surprised if he pitches one more year with the Sox or Cardinals.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Oct 6, 2015 -> 08:09 AM)
lol I literally thought this at one point yesterday. I have yet to see any quote from Buehrle that says he is retiring. I wouldn't be surprised if he pitches one more year with the Sox or Cardinals.

If Bruce Levine is reporting he's retiring, Buehrle has no choice. One thing I noticed watching the "highlights" of his last start, he certainly hasn't missed too many meals lately. Buehrle is getting really big.

It has to end sometime. The contract he signed with Miami, he wound up earning every penny, and then some, which has to be a bit surprising. I hope the Sox don't sign him. I have a feeling he's done, and would hate to watch it firsthand.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 10:13 PM)

Because the game of baseball hasn't changed at all since Cy Young.

Buehrle would be awful with the White Sox ... and that's coming from a big Buehrle fan. He pitches to contact and relies on strong defense behind him to get the job done. He's not a strikeout guy. Unless the Sox overhaul their team and put a formidable defense behind him it would get ugly quick...

Oh look a lazy line fly to RF. Oh, and Garcia takes a bad angle.

A chopper, two hopper to SS. Oh and Alexei loses concentration and throws it away

Look at this team this year. Our pitching was actually pretty darn good. Even with bad defense. Throw a Royals defense, etc. behind them and our team would have been contending for a WC spot even with the poor offense we had.