OF Options

rhuesmann35

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 23, 2016 -> 05:40 PM)
Very true.

I am extremely disappointed the Sox couldn't or wouldn't go to this level.

I still think they have another move they will make, but if they don't, and Avi fails, they deserve all the grief they are going to get.

Agree with all the above.

• Replies 763
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 23, 2016 -> 11:43 PM)
I've said this in a few threads, but if they keep Avi and LaRoche as starters and the team tanks again, I see no reason for Hahn and Ventura to keep their jobs.

ref the bold, not unless he is doing and following the directive of the owners.

QUOTE (Sockin @ Feb 24, 2016 -> 09:55 AM)
Dan Bernstein

‏@dan_bernstein

Sources tell me the #WhiteSox made a "firm, serious offer" to Dexter Fowler, but he opted for more money, not budging from his demands.

At least it says that they are still interested in upgrading the OF though.

QUOTE (chunk23 @ Feb 24, 2016 -> 10:36 AM)
"Firm, serious offer" makes no indication that the offer was actually competitive. I can firmly and seriously offer someone 40% of asking price.

They established a price that they were willing to pay along with the forfeiture of a top 30 draft pick. Baltimore offered more. He went to Baltimore. You are entitled to think that the Sox made a mistake. I disagree with that though.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Feb 23, 2016 -> 03:35 PM)
Jesse SanchezVerified account ‏@JesseSanchezMLB 8m8 minutes ago

There were 25 clubs in attendance at showcase for Cuban players Yadiel Hernandez, Yanio Perez & Alejandro Rivero in Mexico City today.

There's no way the Sox were one of the 5 teams that didn't show up...Right?....Right?!

One thing I want to point out--Sox are already committed for 3+ years to Melky and Eaton. If you lock up another OF right now, you are out of the market for any OF available by trade or FA after the 2016 season. Maybe, once they didn't get Gordon/Cespedes, they decided they like what may be available in a year better than Fowler or Jackson. You can't sign Fowler for 3/$35 and then go and sign somebody else in a year.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Feb 24, 2016 -> 11:03 AM)
One thing I want to point out--Sox are already committed for 3+ years to Melky and Eaton. If you lock up another OF right now, you are out of the market for any OF available by trade or FA after the 2016 season. Maybe, once they didn't get Gordon/Cespedes, they decided they like what may be available in a year better than Fowler or Jackson. You can't sign Fowler for 3/$35 and then go and sign somebody else in a year.

Not necessarily. There are always trades and the DH.

While I agree that they were only going to break the bank for Gordon or Cespedes, I don't think commitments to Eaton and Melky really hindered going after somebody else. Remember our DH spot is opening up after this year and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see Melky move there for the 2017 season.

I just think that they don't think Fowler is that good.