2016-2017 NFL Thread

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Sep 8, 2016 -> 11:01 PM)
Wait, didn't Simeon kinda suck tonight? Holy f***, calm down NBC.

For a 7th round rookie who hadn't thrown a single pass in the NFL, going against the top team in the league (or top 3 at worst), on national TV for the first game of the season? I'd give him a solid B+. He didn't make too many mistakes, made some tough throws and some creative throws. And led 2 late 2nd half drives for scores. Yeah, Anderson was the key, but still. If you're Denver you gotta be excited that he played as good if not better than Manning last year and he's got way more upside going forward.

Yeah I didn't get the praise after the game. He wasn't awful and he played fairly well late in the game, but he probably should have gotten picked off 3 times. One of those should should have been a pick in the red zone when it should have been a fairly easy throw to a wide open TE.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 9, 2016 -> 09:38 AM)
Denver went headhunting all day yesterday and the refs didn't stop it once. Poor show for their concussion safety protocols

I have a hard time believing Cam didn't have a concussion by the end of the night. Some of those hits were brutal. The one Stewart made on him that got cancelled out by the intentional grounding was scary.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Sep 9, 2016 -> 09:02 AM)
For a 7th round rookie who hadn't thrown a single pass in the NFL, going against the top team in the league (or top 3 at worst), on national TV for the first game of the season? I'd give him a solid B+. He didn't make too many mistakes, made some tough throws and some creative throws. And led 2 late 2nd half drives for scores. Yeah, Anderson was the key, but still. If you're Denver you gotta be excited that he played as good if not better than Manning last year and he's got way more upside going forward.

He was fine. He got the ball out quickly, but really struggled when he had to get through his progressions. And I agree that for who Semien is (a 7th round pick who had never thrown an NFL pass), not falling flat on his face is a win. He won't win the Broncos games with his arm. He's there to not turn the ball over (though he did twice) and let the run game and the defense win games. CJ Anderson was great. The Broncos D was really, really good in the 2nd half. But they aren't going to win a lot of games where they are -2 in the turnover department.

The crazy thing to me is that Elway put the Broncos into this position. They have a nasty, fast, elite defense. Those units don't operate at an historic level for long. Elway can't possibly expect another playoffs where his QB doesn't need to make some plays late. Counting on a QB combo of Seimien and Paxton Lynch to win another Super Bowl seems like a fools errand to me.

Reminds me of how they railed against Bridgewater for not winning in the playoffs after he kinda had them in the lead in the fourth and drove them to FG range only to have kicker miss.

Whenever there is growing consensus in NFL for a week 1 game like HOU vs. Bears where it is universal that bears will lose I almost feel like that's the sure victory ha. Bears may not be good but week 1 is stupid and it wouldn't surprise me if they won like 40-7 with 3 pick 6s against Osweiler but still turned out to have a terrible team.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 9, 2016 -> 11:42 AM)
Whenever there is growing consensus in NFL for a week 1 game like HOU vs. Bears where it is universal that bears will lose I almost feel like that's the sure victory ha. Bears may not be good but week 1 is stupid and it wouldn't surprise me if they won like 40-7 with 3 pick 6s against Osweiler but still turned out to have a terrible team.

White Sox Style

Like look at Kevin Clark's article. Clark, who is becoming my favorite football writer, basically picked every single previous playoff team. Parity over the season may be dead, but on across league on a game by game basis, superior teams will not complete a sweep.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Sep 9, 2016 -> 12:01 AM)

Nah. He looked pretty decent for it being his first game. One pick wasn't his fault, the other was just a bad decision. He looked fairly poised and has decent athleticism. Carolina is a good defense.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 9, 2016 -> 10:38 AM)
Denver went headhunting all day yesterday and the refs didn't stop it once. Poor show for their concussion safety protocols

Denver is an incredibly dirty team. I can't believe the refs let them get away with basically all of those hits.